Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Can I fix my Campagnolo Mirage derailleur or does it need replacing?
As you can see in the picture attached, my derailleur (Campagnolo Mirage 3x9) has a top bit broken off (The thingie that hold the spring in place, if anyone knows a nice name, let me know!). I cannot find any campagnolo mirage derailleur (second hand) online (in the Netherlands). So I have to questions in which I can need your help:

1) Is it possible to just replace that part of the derailleur? I can't find it online, but since I also can not name it, I might not have been looking right.
2) What alternative derailleurs would work with my Campa 3x9 set-up? One person on Reddit mentioned that a Shimano 105 11-speed would work with my shifters/cassette, but I am reluctant to go that route, so if anyone can support/shoot down this advice would also be very helpful

Hope you guys can help me!

(I ride a 2004 Giant OCR zero Team Once replica with Campagnolo mirage 3x9)
(07-31-2021, 03:56 PM)IamV Wrote:  As you can see in the picture attached, my derailleur (Campagnolo Mirage 3x9) has a top bit broken off (The thingie that hold the spring in place, if anyone knows a nice name, let me know!). I cannot find any campagnolo mirage derailleur (second hand) online (in the Netherlands). So I have to questions in which I can need your help:

1) Is it possible to just replace that part of the derailleur? I can't find it online, but since I also can not name it, I might not have been looking right.
2) What alternative derailleurs would work with my Campa 3x9 set-up? One person on Reddit mentioned that a Shimano 105 11-speed would work with my shifters/cassette, but I am reluctant to go that route, so if anyone can support/shoot down this advice would also be very helpful

It would seem that your photo did not get attached with your post.

The Mirage gruppo is a lower end Campy set. I have earlier (mid 90s) Mirage derailleurs on a couple of bikes; they are okay, but not great and I had pieces break on the rear derailleur. An easy and still low cost upgrade while keeping your bike Campy equipped is to go with a Veloce (or higher grade with higher cost) derailleur (do you need front [braze-on, or clamp], or rear?). If a rear derailleur you should be to just replace since I believe it will perform properly on your 9 speed cassette (even an 8 speed RD might work); if it is a front derailleur you will need the one specifically for a triple ring chainwheel (different cage).

Is Mirage the original set-up? I would expect a much higher grade set-up on a factory stock "team" bike set-up. I know a professional would not use Mirage components. I would also expect to a Shimano gruppo on a Giant over a low grade Campagnolo gruppo.

You have many options with Campy and other brands, just ensure that they will be compatible with your index shifting and number of gears, and front derailleur mount.

Veloce FD, triple, braze-on, used 30€-34€ free shipping:
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/154549918102?hash=item23fbe49996:g:VTMAAOSw-LVhA1Ip
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/274876528355?hash=item3fffeaf6e3:g:vxkAAOSwvOlg-Y0H

Veloce RDs, used approximately 70€-90€ shipping included.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Here is the image that I forgot to attach: I was wondering whether this part could be replaced

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-31-2021, 06:02 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(07-31-2021, 03:56 PM)IamV Wrote:  As you can see in the picture attached, my derailleur (Campagnolo Mirage 3x9) has a top bit broken off (The thingie that hold the spring in place, if anyone knows a nice name, let me know!). I cannot find any campagnolo mirage derailleur (second hand) online (in the Netherlands). So I have to questions in which I can need your help:

It would seem that your photo did not get attached with your post.

The Mirage gruppo is a lower end Campy set. I have earlier (mid 90s) Mirage derailleurs on a couple of bikes; they are okay, but not great and I had pieces break on the rear derailleur. An easy and still low cost upgrade while keeping your bike Campy equipped is to go with a Veloce (or higher grade with higher cost) derailleur (do you need front [braze-on, or clamp], or rear?). If a rear derailleur you should be to just replace since I believe it will perform properly on your 9 speed cassette (even an 8 speed RD might work); if it is a front derailleur you will need the one specifically for a triple ring chainwheel (different cage).

Is Mirage the original set-up? I would expect a much higher grade set-up on a factory stock "team" bike set-up. I know a professional would not use Mirage components. I would also expect to a Shimano gruppo on a Giant over a low grade Campagnolo gruppo.

You have many options with Campy and other brands, just ensure that they will be compatible with your index shifting and number of gears, and front derailleur mount.

Veloce FD, triple, braze-on, used 30€-34€ free shipping:
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/154549918102?hash=item23fbe49996:g:VTMAAOSw-LVhA1Ip
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/274876528355?hash=item3fffeaf6e3:g:vxkAAOSwvOlg-Y0H

Veloce RDs, used approximately 70€-90€ shipping included.

Thanks for your reply Jesper!

It is indeed the rear derailleur that is broken (I now DID post a picture in this thread), but I have trouble finding a rear derailleur that I am confident about that it will work.

The real problem is that I cannot find a rear derailleur that is made for 9 speed. But I can imagine, that a derailleur for more gears could work if the indexing is right. Am I right in thinking that?
Another thing: for a real derailleur it does not matter whether you rock a double or a triple in the front, right?

On the second hand market I could find the followingL
Campagnolo Racing T 9 Speed derailleur lange kooi (but no response from the seller yet)
Campagnolo Centaur 10 speed derailleur (but the cage does seem short compared to what I have now (I have a 13-23 cassette))
Campagnolo Chorus carbon 10 speed derailleur €50 (also, shorter cage than what I have now)
Campagnolo Athena 8 speed

I can find a brand new Campa Veloce 10 speed for €80 and a Centaur 11 speed for €70

Yes! Campagnolo Mirage is the original group. The Team Once replica that I ride is a replica in terms of colours not in specs. Within the Team Once replica's you also have bikes from the TCR series which have higher specs, the OCR zero that I ride is a class below the TCR Smile.
@IamV
Yes, you can replace that part. I do not know what year your derailleur is, or the name of that part. From around 2001-2010 (maybe longer) that part was used for many rear derailleurs as part # RD-VL009 (also check # RD-RE116). You can download spare parts catalogs from Campagnolo's website. There is no name given, but it is essentially the "'B'pivot spring tension plate", "'B' pivot stop plate", or "rear derailleur mounting sleeve". There is no "B" pivot adjustment screw in that part's design so if you had an adjustment screw originally you would have to check the part number for years prior to 2001 or possibly after 2010 depending on the year the derailleur was made.
Advertisements were calling this part the "rear derailleur mounting sleeve" so try that (it is definitely not a "sleeve", but call it what you will). Cost approx. 30€-45€ new. Somewhat expensive for small part.
Make sure you verify your RD year/model because different parts are used depending on year.
I would also check the rest of the derailleur for any other damage (bent cage, etc.), and the derailleur hanger and drop out. You may need to straighten the drop out/hanger if bent.
You may be able to order this directly from Campagnolo, or obtain it from other sources (eBay, etc.).

EBay link for a new RD-RE116 part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274533500171?epid=1800047572&hash=item3feb78c50b:g:lIcAAOSwyxhfhtCx

That might not be your part.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-01-2022, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Jesper