Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the May Giveaway for a Change to Win the Thruster 27.5 Retrograde BMX Cruiser Bike

tried absolutely everything to fix these tight v-brakes that won't let up
Obviously not trying to fit the wheel on without unhooking the brakes but it's just SO small, there's no movement. I've tried moving it to different pins by loosening the screws, i've tried lengthening the cable, but it just seems like up top the pads are so small- as i have to move the pads actualy all the way to the bottom not the top.

It's a Trek steel 800. I like this bike, but i just undid all the brakes out of just pure agony with how the heck did they work before but now they're so tight that I don't feel safe riding without brakes lol and don't feel like taking it to a repair shop just just yet.

What can you do to help me ge tthese f'ing brakes to not drag on the rim they're so tihgt and i see no Fing way to get it to loosen up.

I need a bike to ride and my other mountain bike I got rear-ended a couple years ago, and i got another one and lost a little part since it wasn't quick release so that one's out of commission.

I like this bike and want to get the pads not to drag so bad!

note: should i take a couple washers out maybe??? gotta try and think.....

further note: when i got the bike it didn't drag but somehow has since tightened up so much and it feels like no matter what i do it won't fit.

photo dump https://imgur.com/a/CzhySDa

Attached Files Image(s)

There's an adjustment screw on one or both sides of the V Brake arms. If you dial that screw in, it brings the arms outwards and opens up some space.

Have you tried this yet?

Changing the pin placement changes the leverage of the spring, which changes the actuation of the pull. This won't necessarily fix the distance problem once you tie down the cable. It can just create a new problem by not giving you enough brake power because your arms don't have enough leverage.
Have you seen this Park Tool video? Uncle Calvin's got your back, bro.
your average post and ghost
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...