Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

V Brakes just won’t adjust properly
So I have a problem adjusting the V brakes on my bike. If I set them up so the pull on the lever feels normal, the wheel is won’t move because the pads are already on contact. If I set them up so the wheel will spin freely, then the they are so mushy that fully pulling the lever barely has any effect. I’ve tried a few things: checked the housing and cable, checked for points of flex / wobble in the run, etc etc.

I’m not a massively experienced but I’ve set up a few sets of v brakes in the past.

This is a brand new set of V brakes, new housing, new cable, new noodles - the lot! The brakes and the levers were bought together as a set.

They’re going on my Surely Cross Check. Any hints and tips very very welcome!
(10-14-2021, 04:06 PM)AlexRa Wrote:  So I have a problem adjusting the V brakes on my bike. If I set them up so the pull on the lever feels normal, the wheel is won’t move because the pads are already on contact. If I set them up so the wheel will spin freely, then the they are so mushy that fully pulling the lever barely has any effect. I’ve tried a few things: checked the housing and cable, checked for points of flex / wobble in the run, etc etc.

I’m not a massively experienced but I’ve set up a few sets of v brakes in the past.

This is a brand new set of V brakes, new housing, new cable, new noodles - the lot! The brakes and the levers were bought together as a set.

the wheel is true or it is wobbly?

if you bought the lever and the brake as a set I suppose you are not using the wrong lever (for cantilever!).

could you attach some pics?
Note that there is an adjustment screw located on each set of levers.

Screw this in to pull the brakes out from the rim.

Unscrew it to let the brakes free up closer to the rim.

Adjustment of these tension screws is imperative to getting your V-Brakes working properly.
(10-16-2021, 12:19 AM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Note that there is an adjustment screw located on each set of levers.

Screw this in to pull the brakes out from the rim.

Unscrew it to let the brakes free up closer to the rim.

Adjustment of these tension screws is imperative to getting your V-Brakes working properly.

It should be noted that this is primarily for balancing the distance between both brake pads (by adjusting spring tension on each arm), not for individually adjusting the distance for each individual lever. If you screw it in on one side (increasing tension), that side will spring further away, while the other side will be pulled closer to the rim. There may only be a screw on one of the levers, but not the other.

(10-15-2021, 05:59 AM)FabioMaria Wrote:  
(10-14-2021, 04:06 PM)AlexRa Wrote:  So I have a problem adjusting the V brakes on my bike. If I set them up so the pull on the lever feels normal, the wheel is won’t move because the pads are already on contact. If I set them up so the wheel will spin freely, then the they are so mushy that fully pulling the lever barely has any effect. I’ve tried a few things: checked the housing and cable, checked for points of flex / wobble in the run, etc etc.

the wheel is true or it is wobbly?

if you bought the lever and the brake as a set I suppose you are not using the wrong lever (for cantilever!).

could you attach some pics?

Definitely check to ensure you are using long pull levers designed for full sized V-Brakes (not mini-Vs or cantis)! (this is most likely the culprit).
Certainly, if you overtighten the left side, it will pull the right side in. The reason some of them only have a single screw is because there's often little capability to tighten the right side, as the left side is often pretensioned strongly, given it's the brake-arm that holsters the noodle.

Adjusting these screws is still pivotal.

If the brake is rubbing before the lever is ever pulled, the problem is often that these screws are not properly adjusted. If it were the brake lever, then they wouldn't be sticking to the rim before the lever is ever pulled.

After you adjust the screws, sometimes you may need to undo the cable and re-fasten it. A little trial and error should show you where you need to be, or prove that the internal (tension springs on the bosses) are worn and the brakes need replaced entirely.

Possibly Related Threads...