Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Zadey the Bike Riding Black Lab!
This thread is a tribute to my riding partner Zadey. She was found by neighbors in a trash can. Seems the people who owned the mother of the dog did not want her and left her for dead as a pup in a trash can! Feel free to be sick because I was! The neighbor kid brought her up to show us and see if we wanted her. Sheese with eyes like hers who could say no. She was pretty small and FULL of energy Smile. The neighbor could not afford to take care of her and really did not have the time. Sooo we adopted her, got her to the vet for shots and advice. She was holy terror as any black lab is! Chewing on stuff, potty training, and weird fits (hard to explain, but funny). No problem we still loved her. Exercise was the key to get her to calm down, duh on my part! So walked her, walked her some more, and then I knew there was something more needed! BIKE RIDES! When I started out with her it was hell with a regular leash. She pulled me across the street. Got one of those retractable leashes and AHHHH! Much better. Afterwards I could control her a lot better with small rides like 500ft each day. Used my set of commands that I had planned out. Oh by the way after the above incident I bought my Adult trike. Below I am going to put up a couple of pictures as this is for Zadey I will continue on with this story later. BTW: She was only in the cage when we had to go away for a short period.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I love the dog, however I expected to see a picture of her on a bike
She looks like a great dog. So was anything done to the person that left her in the garbage can? As a life long dog owner and dog lover, I would like to put him in the garbage can to see how it feels, then he goes to jail.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(04-20-2011, 04:26 AM)nameused Wrote:  I love the dog, however I expected to see a picture of her on a bike

Lol Yea I guess I shouldve came up with a better title, but at the time this was the only thing I could think of.
(04-20-2011, 07:14 AM)JohnV Wrote:  She looks like a great dog. So was anything done to the person that left her in the garbage can? As a life long dog owner and dog lover, I would like to put him in the garbage can to see how it feels, then he goes to jail.

After checking it out the trash can that the person(s) left her in was owned by people who never had a dog and were definitely not abusive to animals. Never did find out who the jerk/jerks were.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bill. Zadey is good for you.

I'm thinking of my old friend Bonita, looking at those pics. Labs are beautiful!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
She is and sometimes I take for granted when the weather is bad that I shouldn't go, but a dog like her doesn't care what it is doing outside lol! We've rode in some scary weather and still made in one piece!
Thanks, Bill!

Some of the most wonderful bikey things can't be ordered online (which is not to suggest that dogs are things; they are anti-things)

Smile
(04-21-2011, 12:43 AM)Tim M Wrote:  Thanks, Bill!

Some of the most wonderful bikey things can't be ordered online (which is not to suggest that dogs are things; they are anti-things)

Smile

Actually thank you for your kind words. Yes that is correct, Dogs are not an accessory that you hook to a bike Wink.
(04-21-2011, 01:39 PM)Bill Wrote:  

Smile

Actually thank you for your kind words. Yes that is correct, Dogs are not an accessory that you hook to a bike Wink.

Hey Bill,
Our Chocolate Lab, Maggie, absolutely loves to go for bikes rides as well. We use a "Walky Dog" bike leash and a harness. Keeps her from pulling or running out into traffic or after strays. Sorry I didn't have a better photo to show.[attachment=2244]
Awww that's an awesome picture! Very beautiful Chocolate lab!! She looks like shes ready go right now!!! Smile As far as the photo don't worry, it is awesome! I really do thank you for posting this reply, because there are other people out there that use the method we do but don't really talk to much about it. I have a new term which I call it dog cyclo-walk! Lol! I do have a couple questions about your walky-dog. Does it interfere with your riding control? In your opinion would you mind giving me the goods and bads about it? How strong is it? What is the worse time while cyclo-walking Maggie? How does Maggie feel and respond to the harness and walky dog combination?
Sorry full of questions, just an inquisitive person.

Bill
(04-21-2011, 01:39 PM)Bill Wrote:  

Smile

Amazing things on bikes, present and past:

The Sperm Bullitt

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2011/04/sperm-bike-in-copenhagen.html

Rabbits on bikes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10703870@N06/4889132139/in/set-72157623890849583/
(04-23-2011, 01:23 PM)Bill Wrote:  Awww that's an awesome picture! Very beautiful Chocolate lab!! She looks like shes ready go right now!!! Smile As far as the photo don't worry, it is awesome! I really do thank you for posting this reply, because there are other people out there that use the method we do but don't really talk to much about it. I have a new term which I call it dog cyclo-walk! Lol! I do have a couple questions about your walky-dog. Does it interfere with your riding control? In your opinion would you mind giving me the goods and bads about it? How strong is it? What is the worse time while cyclo-walking Maggie? How does Maggie feel and respond to the harness and walky dog combination?
Sorry full of questions, just an inquisitive person.

Bill

Bill,
We wanted to include Maggie in our rides. She is 8, in very good health, but maybe 5 - 8 lbs. overweight (she is big boned for a female, weighs 80 lbs.). Just taking her on a leash is near impossible. She likes to lunge @ strays & cats, etc. So we did a lot of research & found this site, The Dog Outdoors. I really thought the Tow Leash would be better, but I just couldn't afford it. So we opted for the Walky-Dog. We are all so very glad we did! We also got Maggie's light for her harness & her drinking bottle from the same site. Here is a link for the manufacturers site: Bice.

As for your questions:
Does it interfere with your riding control?
Not really. It does take just a little bit of getting used to. It will feel slightly different. All I did was ride around the yard with her a few times then off we went. She is a big girl and only once did I have an issue... she decided to hit the brakes & do her business with no warning. I didn't have the clamp attached tightly enough & the whole thing swiveled around. Oops. But even when she tries to lunge it is very controllable. Just make sure the clamp is good & tight.
How strong is it?
Well, like I said, Maggie is in the 80 lb. range & very strong. It holds her fine. I dare say I could hang from it - I'm just not feeling quite that adventurous.
What is the worse time while cyclo-walking Maggie?
I guess the worst incident we have really had is when she decided to stop. I see the strays first (usually) & I keep them on the opposite side of the bike from her. That limits her. She did get hit in the head by the pedal once while focusing on another dog, not hard, but a glancing blow. This will probably sound cruel, but, they say pain is a great teacher. She has never done that again.
How does Maggie feel and respond to the harness and walky dog combination?
To start with, if she sees or hears me touch my bike, I better already be reaching for her harness! She gets so excited & wants to go so badly! Wish I had a camcorder. I don't know if you can see it in the photos, but I modified her harness. The 2 straps that go right behind her legs I wrapped with fleece material for padding. Sometimes she gets so excited to be going she pulls (not to the side - she acts like a motor and has towed the bike). So I added the padding the protect her.

Please feel free to ask as many & any questions. Happy to share. We are all happier & healthier for having purchased this. I have absolutely no disappointments with it. It turned out to be much better than I expected. Check out the Dog Outdoors site. They have lots of good information & video's. And they're really great people, too.

Dominic

[attachment=2253][attachment=2254][attachment=2255][attachment=2256][attachment=2257]
Dominic,
Thank you so much for sharing all that information! You have a wonderful dog there and those pictures are simply put an inspiration! I'm still using the old fashioned retractable leash but may order one of these soon! 80lbs and controllable is very impressive! Zadey is 70lbs and pretty fit, at least last vet visit! Again thanks for all the information, I'll write more tomorrow just time constrained Sad right now.

Bill
My wife and I use a walky dog with our lab Obi. He loves going for a good run on a trail but loves it even more when we can go to one of the off leash parks that has good riding trails as well.

Dog's are migratory animals by nature, running with their pack mates satisfies a primal urge for them. As their owners we are the pack mates, so getting to have a good run with us is very satisfying for the dog.

Our poor Obi has tender paws however and has had them split open if run for too long on hard surfaces, there is a company that makes dog shoes for running. I know it sounds crazy, and honestly Obi hates having them on his feet, it beats having to go to the vet for a split open paw though.
(04-26-2011, 12:14 PM)Duroon Wrote:  My wife and I use a walky dog with our lab Obi. He loves going for a good run on a trail but loves it even more when we can go to one of the off leash parks that has good riding trails as well.

Dog's are migratory animals by nature, running with their pack mates satisfies a primal urge for them. As their owners we are the pack mates, so getting to have a good run with us is very satisfying for the dog.

Our poor Obi has tender paws however and has had them split open if run for too long on hard surfaces, there is a company that makes dog shoes for running. I know it sounds crazy, and honestly Obi hates having them on his feet, it beats having to go to the vet for a split open paw though.

Duroon,
I agree with all of that (isn't the Walky-Dog great!), & yeah, Maggies feet can take a beating also. I use the Musher's Secret for her feet. Even down here in FL it works. Makes a huge difference, at least for her it does.
You know I never considered putting anything on the bottom of her paws. However this information is VERY useful! Thanks for the advice Smile .
Also I was going through older pictures and found a couple well cute pictures.....
Great pics, Bill. Zadey sure is pretty!
Thank you very much, I'll newer pictures on the way. Been busy with building my shop up to incorporate my other things lol. Pain in the neck now is trying to figure out a storage system in the allotted space I have!
Hi all, I just wanted to add that I found this kind of awesome Do-it-yourself instructable at http://www.Instructables.com . It is a Dog walker that one can make themselves. I have not yet tried it but may do so. Here it is.... http://www.instructables.com/id/Bike-Dog-Walker/ .
Hey all,
Been a long time since I posted last. Wanted to update this as I had to give Zadey up because of my newborn son. She was taken to a pet adoption agency who has a high rate of getting pets adopted. We really do miss her and all but I am sure she is in good hands now. After I gave her up I kinda stopped riding and working on bikes as I lost the interest. I don't have any more pics to share but hey the ones posted are pretty good lol.

Bill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post