Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Breathing techniques when riding trike/bike
What is the proper way to breath when riding.? Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth, or inhale and exhale through your nose? Or what makes you comfortable ? Just wondering. Ány comments ? Thanks

Steven
(05-08-2020, 11:25 PM)abrahamseven Wrote:  What is the proper way to breath when riding.? Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth, or inhale and exhale through your nose? Or what makes you comfortable ? Just wondering. Ány comments ? Thanks

Steven

I guess nobody knows about breathing techniques so I will consider this subject closed..
(05-11-2020, 09:24 AM)abrahamseven Wrote:  What is the proper way to breath when riding.? Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth, or inhale and exhale through your nose? Or what makes you comfortable ? Just wondering. Ány comments ? Thanks

Steven

Hi Steven.
I used to follow "2x short inhale through nose and 1x longer exhale through mouth" technique back in my running days. Now I am trying to inhale and exhale only through my nose, whenever that's possible. When I challenge my threshold - it can be both cycling or biking - it becomes hard to not involve the mouth too.

Pro cyclist Fabio Aru caught cycling fans (and not only) attention with his open mouth breathing or "suffering look", although apparently there was a medical reason behind it: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aru-credits-nose-surgery-as-factor-in-tour-de-france-form/
"Carbon is faster"
(05-08-2020, 11:25 PM)abrahamseven Wrote:  What is the proper way to breath when riding.? Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth, or inhale and exhale through your nose? Or what makes you comfortable ? Just wondering. Ány comments ? Thanks

Steven

Hi Steven,

Although I work in a hospital, I am certainly not a respiratory therapist, but with my experience you are dealing with a variety of factors that would need to be considered: airway size comparisons/physiology, anaerobic or aerobic conditions relating to oxygen debt during exercise, perceived comfort with one method or another, respiratory condition, etc.. Most people if not breathing directly through the nose are still utilizing nasal breathing while breathing through the mouth. I have participated in a variety of sports: cycling, soccer, long and mid distance running, et al. I am a life long sufferer of asthma. Given my "disability" I am rarely breathing via nasal passages alone when in a higher level of exertion and find that upon inhaling I "feel" that I breathe through my mouth, but when exhaling it is quite evident that I am using my nasal passages more than upon inhalation, although still my respiration is still primarily via my mouth. I don't believe that there is a benefit one way or another if you feel comfortable and are not "gasping" for a breath. The prime concern is to get the required amount of oxygen requisite to your level of activity. Once again, I am not an expert in this field. The only time I really tried to "control" my breathing technique was during swimming, which I still sucked at anyways, and while meditating; both were inhalation through the mouth, and exhalation through the nose; but that's me. Like anything you need to develop that which allows you to perform with comfort and without distraction. That's all I've got.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(05-11-2020, 10:36 AM)Nikko Wrote:  
(05-11-2020, 09:24 AM)abrahamseven Wrote:  What is the proper way to breath when riding.? Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth, or inhale and exhale through your nose? Or what makes you comfortable ? Just wondering. Ány comments ? Thanks

Steven

Hi Steven.
I used to follow "2x short inhale through nose and 1x longer exhale through mouth" technique back in my running days. Now I am trying to inhale and exhale only through my nose, whenever that's possible. When I challenge my threshold - it can be both cycling or biking - it becomes hard to not involve the mouth too.

Pro cyclist Fabio Aru caught cycling fans (and not only) attention with his open mouth breathing or "suffering look", although apparently there was a medical reason behind it: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aru-credits-nose-surgery-as-factor-in-tour-de-france-form/

Thank You for your comments Nikko, I feel more comfortable breathing through my nose, inhale and exhale on my spin bike and trike, my nose sometimes Plugs up I have clean it out once in a while. At 81 I still have 97 to 100 % blood oxygen and this method works for me, thank you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-05-2011, 03:00 AM
Last Post: Bill