Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the August Giveaway to Win the SAVA Aurora V3.0 Carbon Road Bike

How do you choose the right mountain bike for your riding style and terrain?
I ride on many off road tracks, up, down, flat flowies,

I have 26" Giant Reign dual, not interested in an ebike but looking to upgrade a hardtail around the $2K mark

What are the advantages for?:
* 29"
* 26"
* 27.5"
* Mullet

Any advice will be appreciated Smile
Tagging @Jesper here..

Personally, I thought the size was primarily so that bike fit the rider right. I wasn't aadare that there's more to it..

Let's see what other's say..

Wishing you the very best with your new hardtail, @Flowrider

(08-01-2024, 12:29 AM)Flowrider Wrote:  I ride on many off road tracks, up, down, flat flowies,

I have 26" Giant Reign dual, not interested in an ebike but looking to upgrade a hardtail around the $2K mark

What are the advantages for?:
* 29"
* 26"
* 27.5"
* Mullet

Any advice will be appreciated Smile
(08-06-2024, 03:14 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Tagging @Jesper here..

Personally, I thought the size was primarily so that bike fit the rider right. I wasn't aadare that there's more to it..

Let's see what other's say..

Wishing you the very best with your new hardtail, @Flowrider

I am so "old school" (70s klunkers, 80s rigid mtb's) that my input here probably does not apply. I use my cycling experience/inexperience to guide me while riding off-road. I presently still ride my mid '80s rigid frame mtb so I assume 26" wheels. If I do not think I can safely traverse an area I simply carry the bike just as I do with my road bike when riding a more cyclocross terrain. When i am out in the wilderness and am descending (often without any defined trail) there is not a concern about "racing" down the hill since I climbed up the bloody thing to take a look around, and even going down I am still exploring. My bike handles fine for my needs and my only concern is tire pressure when going from road to trail/wilderness since in general I am road cycling to the trail and not driving.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Thanks @GirishH

I've not got the hard tail yet as I'm trying find out what the thoughts are on set ups Smile
Great, @Flowrider. Hope more people pitch in their experiences and thoughts here.

Like @Jesper, I am "old school". I don't even wear clip-ins, instead preferring to ride in my trail runners. I usually ride up a hill if I can and then gingerly ride down as I am worried of flying over the bar. I rarely change tire pressure based on uphill/downhill because I ride a fat bike and can't pump 200 times every time the inclination changes.

So, my bike is a 26-inch "no-suspension" even though it can be converted to a "full-suspension" by altering the air pressure..:-)

(08-06-2024, 11:53 PM)Flowrider Wrote:  Thanks @GirishH

I've not got the hard tail yet as I'm trying find out what the thoughts are on set ups Smile
Hey man, at your budget I would definitely go with a 27.5 trail hardtail. it rolls over obstacles better than a 26. You'll have more options in that price range with 27.5 too. As for mullet, I don't think you need the extra rollover of a 29 rear on a hardtail unless you're doing super rocky descents.

Possibly Related Threads...