Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

bike riding is a fun! isn't it ???
Hello, bike riders!
let's celebrate some good old biking memories.

What is the Best memory you have about bike riding ? it will be very pleasing if you share your experience with us Smile Smile
Generally, all my cycling experiences are enjoyable except where crashes or mechanical failures have occurred. I cannot control the weather so in good or bad conditions, weather only added to the challenge and did not detract from the overall experience (except nearly getting frostbite once).

My most recent adventure was 2 days ago riding the paved (there is a parrallel dirt path also for bikes, horses, etc.) Jacksonville-Baldwin Rail Trail at night under a waxing gibbous moon. Quiet and cool conditons perfect for riding. I use no lights or reflectors (I am on my racing bike; none are mounted) and as a youth I toured in the same manner riding at night to make it to the next destination.
Hazards are many and even in the moonlight (70% of the trail is dark from the overhanging tree canopy) it is hard to see them: pebbles, branches, misc. debris, pavement damage, wildlife, etc.
I ride at my normal speed of 16-18mph just like daytime riding.
I personally find it invigorating as well as a bit eerie.
Just a note: the trail is closed between sunset and sunrise so I may be violating some local law, but my taxes pay for its upkeep and I work during daylight so moonlit nights are great way for me to continue a training regimen without having to add extra mileage during weekend rides. Including the photos to add some perspective.

I warn others that if you do this type of riding you are taking a certain added level of risk over regular daytime riding which is risky enough and nightime riding with proper lighting. NEVER DO THIS ON ROADWAYS; plus it is against laws in most States/areas to ride on public roads without lights.
I am not sure that it is any more dangerous than riding in vehicular traffic, but I would rather get hit by, or hit a deer than to have an interaction with a car.

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(10-07-2022, 02:03 PM)Jesper Wrote:  Generally, all my cycling experiences are enjoyable except where crashes or mechanical failures have occurred. I cannot control the weather so in good or bad conditions, weather only added to the challenge and did not detract from the overall experience (except nearly getting frostbite once).

My most recent adventure was 2 days ago riding the paved (there is a parrallel dirt path also for bikes, horses, etc.) Jacksonville-Baldwin Rail Trail at night under a waxing gibbous moon. Quiet and cool conditons perfect for riding. I use no lights or reflectors (I am on my racing bike; none are mounted) and as a youth I toured in the same manner riding at night to make it to the next destination.
Hazards are many and even in the moonlight (70% of the trail is dark from the overhanging tree canopy) it is hard to see them: pebbles, branches, misc. debris, pavement damage, wildlife, etc.
I ride at my normal speed of 16-18mph just like daytime riding.
I personally find it invigorating as well as a bit eerie.
Just a note: the trail is closed between sunset and sunrise so I may be violating some local law, but my taxes pay for its upkeep and I work during daylight so moonlit nights are great way for me to continue a training regimen without having to add extra mileage during weekend rides. Including the photos to add some perspective.

I warn others that if you do this type of riding you are taking a certain added level of risk over regular daytime riding which is risky enough and nightime riding with proper lighting. NEVER DO THIS ON ROADWAYS; plus it is against laws in most States/areas to ride on public roads without lights.
I am not sure that it is any more dangerous than riding in vehicular traffic, but I would rather get hit by, or hit a deer than to have an interaction with a car.

Hello Jasper,

I enjoyed reading your story and was a little surprised at how adventurous you are,
I can understand your feelings but still I would request you
to be cautious because caution is important. You should also make it mandatory to use
lights or reflectors because any accident can easily happen in the dark of night without lights or reflectors,
and above all you should never break the law. Because breaking the law is also a crime and can
cause many troubles, in the end I will say that cycling is a good hobby but the hobby should not be so intense that you risk your life or someone else's life for it

Take care a lot.
Night riding can be thrilling. A long time ago my good friend Pete, and I called ourselves the Ghost Riders and rode our bikes down this long winding dirt road at night without lights. It swept along the local lakeshore, and when a full moon the lake shimmered and we pedaled with extreme joy and excitement. I still ride without lights at night, but it is not very often anymore.
Some of my best biking memories:

- careening up and down canyon trails on BMXes with my brother in San Diego in the 70s

- 30 mile charity bike ride with my dad from the Pontiac Silverdome to the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit. The 'best' memory bit is because we miraculously got through some of the worst parts of Detroit, just outside downtown, when the city was murder capital of the world. Yes, we did hear gunfire nearby, LOL

- cycling club ride outs through the farm country outside my hometown in Canada when I was a kid

- lazy summer rides through the English countryside

- regular rides along the beach here where I live

- exploring on my bike, not worrying about where I'm going or how I'm getting there

- every single time I talk myself into getting on my bike when it's cold, wet or otherwise horrible outside. It's always worth it!
For me, biking in Boston during snow storms was always fun. Most of the roads would be deserted and except for the fresh snow not a lot of movement. I would be all layered up and riding through the fresh snow.. truly truly magical and a fun experience..:-)

Recently, riding the TEMBR-dirt road version in Ecuador has been a beautiful, fun experience. I am so smitten by the mountains and the bike culture here I am still in Ecuador after completing TEMBR..:-)

Attached Files Image(s)

I just did another "full" moon night ride. No issues, but again, this was done on a trail without concern of vehicular traffic (motorized or not). I tend to ride faster (20mph) and shorter (10-15 miles) rides to keep up with the shadow/lighting changes, but the ride is much more mentally stimulating than a daylight ride. As usual, do not do this unless you are not overly concerned for your safety (I do ride with helmet and gloves).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-05-2011, 03:00 AM
Last Post: Bill