Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Project: Turist vintage bike restoration
Hey,
I've planned my first bike restoration project this season. I believe, Turist was made in Ukraine, USSR back in the days (80's model?). This one has been dormant in my girlfriend grandparents' shed for years. It's not in its best shape and needs some parts replaced (wheels are very weak, crankset has a rare standard?), but overall I'm excited. Lots of rust ... probably have to start there, heh.

Any first impressions? I will appreciate all your advice on where and how to begin this project - it's the most difficult part Smile

Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(05-23-2022, 01:31 PM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Hey,
I've planned my first bike restoration project this season. I believe, Turist was made in Ukraine, USSR back in the days (80's model?). This one has been dormant in my girlfriend grandparents' shed for years. It's not in its best shape and needs some parts replaced (wheels are very weak, crankset has a rare standard?), but overall I'm excited. Lots of rust ... probably have to start there, heh.

Any first impressions? I will appreciate all your advice on where and how to begin this project - it's the most difficult part Smile

I am not familiar with the Turist brand so nice to see something a little different.

I think the XB3 components are Kharkov, but I would have to check. I don't have any myself to compare them with.

I would start with a full mechanical breakdown and rebuild everything that can still be used. It would be cool to have the original components on it, but regarding the brakes there may be a lack of performance unless you really don't plan on any severe downhill/high speed riding on it. I would certainly put modern brake pads on it even if the original pads are still functional (keep them for show, trading, or sell them to another Turist restorer).

I really like the rear spoke guard and I would keep it on just for looks. The front chain guard would be nice if you can salvage it and clean it up some.

If you are trying to save the decals then I would try to be careful with how you clean the frame. Can't say that I can really see any decals except the head badge one.

I would be curious to know what bottom bracket is installed as far as the threads, and shell width. I need to check to see what my Favorit has, it's a Czech (during Soviet Bloc era) made bike; I can't remember its specifications. If I recall, most of the parts on my bike were either made by Favorit or Eska.

Your stem looks like it's about as high as it can go, the saddle as far forward as it can go.

Do you have a photo of the head badge? I am interested to see their design.

It would be nice if the bag was original with OE tools in it; always a plus to have some original accessories on a bike since they seem to be removed more often than not.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...