Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

How much is this vintage bike worth? Colnago Formula 1 frame with extras
Has headset with handlebars, seat post with damaged plastic seat, windsor crank, dia-compe brakes, wellgo pedals What would be a fair price for me to sell this for?

Rather odd track frame. I'm not sure about it being a Colnago other than the livery. Is the bottom bracket cut-out with the Colnago "clubs" design? The lower head lug should also have a "clubs" cut-out in it, and the fork crown would have either the "clubs" and "COLNAGO" pantograph or it would have the "clubs" design surrounded by a "C". The fork does not look original which is odd for a track frame to have needed a replacement fork unless the original was damaged by the bike being used on the open road and suffered an accident (are you aware of any accident? Possibly frame misalignment may have occurred at the same time). That crown looks fairly flat compared to what Colnago was using at the time (semi-sloping to full slope crown). The front brake looks like it was fit in order to use a smaller wheel which may have been the original wheel if the frame (appears to be) was a lo-pro ("funny bike") when the original fork was still in place. Not having the OE fork is a big hit on its value, as well the replacement fork being incorrect for the geometry of the frame. Looks like the fork drop-outs have eyelets which would not be present on a track bike of that era; same thing goes for a track bike having a brake bridge. What make are the fork drop-outs?
Without more detailed photos it is hard to give a value. Although the parts value is minimal, the bike's value is reduced if they are not in good working order and in decent aesthetic condition. I figure the year to be late 80s to mid 90s; probably the latter if that is an original Colnago paint job.
Given everything I can see (is the headset rusty?), I would not put a very high value on it, but the frame, less fork and parts, is certainly worth about $250 plus (desirability and rarity can triple the value) if frame is straight and without rust and dents. Part of my very weak estimate is due to the fact that I cannot verify (yet) that it is actually a Colnago frame (paint job/decals are not proof). I would need to research the frame model to get a better idea since the tube set used can also affect value (is there a tubing manufacturer decal or remnants of one?). I would assume Columbus tubing of some sort, but Colnago supposedly used Tange (per their catalog) in the 90s so who knows. Seat post diameter may also be a clue as to tubing level. Most butted (seat tube would only be single butted) tubes of lighter weight design had posts in the 27.0-27.2 mm diameter range. If the frame was stripped of parts and weighed without the fork it would give an indication of tubing level. You can check the steerer tube for 5 internal helical ridges from bottom of the tube to 1/2 way up which would indicate a higher end fork using Columbus' reinforced steerer regardless of whether the fork is original or not.
How long have you had it, and do you have any specific history of it, such as fork/parts replacement, purchase date, etc.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I do not believe that it is a Colnago. Just too many red flags; the biggest being those seat stays which appear to be bolted on top and bottom. That is an indicator of a cheaper bike. So maybe $200-$250 max for the entire bike. Usually fake Colnagos are of an earlier vintage since many folks would just put Colnago decals on a frame; but that was before Colnago started with their fancier paint jobs. If it is a fake then a fair amount of dollars were put into repainting it.
Take care,
Jesper

@thefugues I consulted some other Colnago experts; no one thinks it is an actual Colnago.
Your best bet if you are selling it is to be up front about its unknown origin (unless you have knowledge not yet provided), and sell it as a rebadged/repainted frame. Again, good clear detailed photos are a must; both for others trying to help you estimate its value, or for those interested in purchasing it.
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-03-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Jesper

05-02-2022, 04:24 PM