Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Post-Ride Nutrition
What is the best post-ride nutrition? Do I do a protein shake like after weight training? I know lots of water, banana, etc. - but protein?
Most of your protein shake that you take in after your workout will likely just get burned up. The concept of the "anabolic window" is simply an umbrella term, which relates to the fact that protein is synthesized faster, because you have worked up a surplus of metabolites in your bloodstream from activity, which powers the metabolic paths of protein synthesis. Thanks catabolism.

Certainly, it's not to say that taking in whole protein after exercise is bad. There is a latency in the digestion process of whole protein though. Even whey and plant proteins, which can be broken down the fastest. This latency isn't exactly intuitive for your on-demand macronutrient needs. And this is the most important thing to note about whole protein.

I personally recommend taking in a blend of simple and complex carbs first and foremost, with free-form aminos to help calm the metabolic state. Once it has churned down, whole protein that you take in will be synthesized and become apart of your protein stores (which is what you truly want—and what "anabolic window" advocates suggest happens—but doesn't happen necessarily).

You should also be taking in carbs, aminos, fatty acids, and electrolytes intra-workout to help stave catabolism.

BCAA are best intra-workout and can help post-workout. EAA are best post-workout, but also reverse compatible. Your blend of carbs wants to see something like 30~50g of simple carbs, and some 25g of complex carbs. These proportions of course can vary based on your size, but when you're coming out a demanding state, there's really no such a thing as a surplus. Your body is going to continue to burn energy for hours after.

Simple fatty-acids (omegas) and complex fatty-acids (triglycerides) are a huge benefit to helping to stave catabolism. They should be consumed pre, intra, and post-workout if possible. The energy needs of the body are multi-faceted, so if you're not catering to all its needs, then it's taxing on the body to have to make for that deficit. Cholesterol is needed as a carrier to metabolize fatty-acids for energy. It's also needed to build and maintain new and healthy cell walls, so you definitely don't want to starve yourself on cholesterol.

Micronutrients are just as important as macronutrients, especially b-vitamins for the metabolism, and iron for (literally every cell in your body) and to carry oxygen into cells. Taking a shard of a multi-vitamin can help quickly meet your micronutrient needs.
Post-ride nutrition plays a crucial role in helping your body recover and refuel after a cycling session.
(06-04-2021, 02:14 PM)ldweisberg Wrote:  What is the best post-ride nutrition? Do I do a protein shake like after weight training? I know lots of water, banana, etc. - but protein?

So as not to sound finite, I will say almost always end with protein as the macronutrient. Carbs, especially refined sugar, does not help recovery, maybe storage for the next day, but you have to recover and repair. Hydrate. I feel like I just never drink enough during a ride. One bottle an hour average but still thirsty. Electrolyte balance and b12 and l-citrulline.
My protein mix is always ready in the fridge. 22g per serving protein powder with frozen bananas and blueberries, flax seed, chia seed, greens powder, matcha, ashwagandha, oat milk and cold brew coffee.
Ready to go!
(12-12-2023, 09:36 AM)SPINMAN Wrote:  
(06-04-2021, 02:14 PM)ldweisberg Wrote:  What is the best post-ride nutrition? Do I do a protein shake like after weight training? I know lots of water, banana, etc. - but protein?

So as not to sound finite, I will say almost always end with protein as the macronutrient. Carbs, especially refined sugar, does not help recovery, maybe storage for the next day, but you have to recover and repair. Hydrate. I feel like I just never drink enough during a ride. One bottle an hour average but still thirsty. Electrolyte balance and b12 and l-citrulline.
My protein mix is always ready in the fridge. 22g per serving protein powder with frozen bananas and blueberries, flax seed, chia seed, greens powder, matcha, ashwagandha, oat milk and cold brew coffee.
Ready to go!

I would like to supplement:

Proteins will only get cannibalized if you're in ketosis after your ride, or even at the mere end of your macronutrient stores. The concept of proteins having enhanced metabolism through the anabolic window is just an umbrella concept, which in that presented context is narrow sighted in the fact that it doesn't cover what the proteins are actually utilized for through that Anabolic Window. The Anabolic Window also accompanies the Afterburn Effect, which is the period of time your body continues to burn elevated calories to carry out its elevated metabolic interactions (including recovery/regeneration). Figuratively, it's suggested that the enhanced metabolism of proteins will go into your protein stores, but this isn't the case if your body's carb volumes are desolate. Those peptides will get broken down further and converted into glucose to balance your sugar levels first, and only when your body stabilizes those levels, will it begin to retain peptides and allow them to become protein stores. For this reason, it's extremely intuitive to supplement with an EAA amino supplement post-workout with a carb uptake first, to flatline those carb needs for the body, and prevent it from further cannibalizing existing protein stores (if you fail to do so). The EAAs will take the hit for the protein stores and help to cover for the deficit until the body stabilizes. Failing to stabilize your sugar levels first will actually impede recovery, because your body loses precious protein stores that it's forced to dip into because you didn't sustain your viable energy (carb and fat levels). This sets the body back, and becomes taxing on the metabolism which now has to expend more metabolites to synthesize those lost protein stores before it can begin or elevate recovery capabilities. Meanwhile, your body will have an elevated workload to deal with for recovery because of the microdamages abroad in muscle, nerve, bone, and connective tissue. And thus, recovery suffers.

This is coming from someone with a bodybuilding background, and is crucial information to sustain and elevate gains through extensive periods of rigorous training with weights and resistance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-20-2023, 11:28 AM
Last Post: meamoantonio