Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the August Giveaway to Win the SAVA Aurora V3.0 Carbon Road Bike

Third best reason to ride a bent or trike
Everyone knows the first and second best reasons to ride a bent or trike, is comfort and view. IMO the third best reason is you dont have to wear an expensive kit to protect you from you bike. With bents or trikes you can wear almost anything. I for instance wear rugby shorts that are really short sweat pants. On sale they are $15. And---------------my summer attire is a T-shirt and these rugby shorts. So to take off and ride, all I need to do is put on my bike shoes and ride off.
You do not have to wear special clothing to ride a road bike either. Kits that many "sport" ctclists wear are just emulating what the pros wear. It is often just an ego thing. The majority of recreational cyclists do not need to wear skin tight clothing. I regularly wear button-up cotton "dress" shirts and T-shirts for comfort and cooling. I am still riding 25+ miles at speeds averaging over 17mph, but aerodymanics are not a concern for me; there is no medals being given at the end of my ride so why wear competition kits. I started serious cycling wearing sweat pants, gym shorts, and t-shirts. I do not wear padded shorts nor chamois lined shorts. I do wear normal briefs (essentially cotton bike shorts) under my bike shorts which apparently is a no no, but I suffer no ill effects. I even ride in jeans occassionally with the drive side leg wrapped for safety. My prime wear are cycling tights or knee length cotton shorts, and long sleeve cotton shirts to avoid sun exposure; the tights also avoid chain interference in an open drivetrain without guards. I feel like fool wearing wearing a racing kit just to ride 10 miles; but high end bike shops think you are somewhat of a bum if you do not dress the part like the pros and have treated me like I do not know anything even though I have decades more knowledge and experience than their staff combined. I look at people on the 70s age F-book cycling group and they are almost always covered in lycra. I guess when buying their $2k-$3k carbon fiber bikes they also got sold on the idea of needing to wear a specialized cycling kit costing hundreds of $. There are padded bike shorts made for touring that are quite suitable for hiking also. I find it interesting that most commuters do not wear cycling clothing regardless of the bike they ride. I still see plenty of folks riding recumbents (2 and 3 wheel) wearing cycling kits. To each his, her, or their own. Its all about one's personal preference and I don't care what folks wear as long as it makes them happy wearing it.

Edit: I think semi and full recumbents are great, but regarding the view you may have a better view of the ground, but you are often blocked by obstacles (fences, rails, walls, hedges, etc.) due to lower head level that on a road bike I am more often able to readily see over (plus I can easily stand on the pedals to gain more height which I have never seen anyone do on a recumbent if it is indeed even possible to do). My view is only inhibited when riding a lo-pro bike due to extreme body angle, but riding my standard road frames does not affect my view whether in the drops or not.
Regarding comfort; that is a personal preference. If someone is uncomfortable on a bike then either their body cannot adapt to the style of bike (due to anatomy, injury, and/or age), or the bike and/or set-up was not correct. I will ride an upright bike until it is uncomfortable because I like the design and handling. If I doubt the majority of recumbent designs can corner ad fast while handling as well as my road bike. Even my old 3 speed roadsters take corners fairly well at speed.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post