Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the September Giveaway for the Phantom XR electric bicycle from Life EV

Which gravel bike saddle do you suggest?
Hey riders.
I love gravel biking and I love treating my Focus (and myself) with small yet useful upgrades. This time, I consider changing the saddle.

- Can you guys suggest any comfortable saddle for a gravel bike?
- Which saddle do you have on your gravel bike (if you do own one)?
- In case you have a road bike, which saddle do you have on it?

Cheers!
Focus Mares AL 105
(04-28-2021, 07:56 AM)Henry_G Wrote:  Hey riders.
I love gravel biking and I love treating my Focus (and myself) with small yet useful upgrades. This time, I consider changing the saddle.

- Can you guys suggest any comfortable saddle for a gravel bike?
- Which saddle do you have on your gravel bike (if you do own one)?
- In case you have a road bike, which saddle do you have on it?

Cheers!

Hi Henry,

I don't ride a gravel bike per se, but I do some off-road riding on my "converted" (I put 30mm tires on it, largest that fit the frame) general use road bike. I ride on a Selle Italia "Turbo Lite" saddle on that bike. It is comfortable enough, but I am not on the dirt for very long as I ride about 10 miles to get to the trail and then only do about 4 miles off-road at most so it is probably not an accurate metric for that purpose. On other bikes I use San Marco "Rolls" saddles. I have also used Vetta saddles which are probably a little more comfortable (and heavier) for touring with a slightly wider rear and ample padding (for me) compared to the more race oriented saddles.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(04-29-2021, 09:00 PM)Jesper Wrote:  tires
Jesper, thank you for your reply.
Always a pleasure.

Oh yes. Italian saddles are top class. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I will investigate their offering.
I have always been confused about all those brands - Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, Selle Monte Grappa, Selle SMP. Are they from the same "family"?

Some posh gravel rider suggested me this SLR Boost Gravel saddle https://us.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/slr-boost-gravel-superflow/ but it's out of my budget for sure, don't want to spend $300 on a saddle ... yet hahah.
Focus Mares AL 105
(05-12-2021, 05:05 AM)Henry_G Wrote:  
Always a pleasure.

Oh yes. Italian saddles are top class. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I will investigate their offering.
I have always been confused about all those brands - Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, Selle Monte Grappa, Selle SMP. Are they from the same "family"?

Some posh gravel rider suggested me this SLR Boost Gravel saddle https://us.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/slr-boost-gravel-superflow/ but it's out of my budget for sure, don't want to spend $300 on a saddle ... yet hahah.

Wow, that is a bit expensive (I had to look). I think that my Vetta saddles (touring models) are probably the most comfortable for riding in a bit more relaxed/upright position. Thus, I tend to use them more often on commutes and rides with varying terrains (on and off-road). Having ridden the same San Marco saddle for about 30 years keeps me a loyal customer, and recently (probably for a few years now) they reissued the "Rolls" models at around $150 or so (think I paid about $60 new in the late '80s), but I have bought some online for about half that price for a new one.

The "Selle" moniker is merely "saddles" in Italian; kind of like seeing Discount Tire, Tire Kingdom, etc.; just different companies letting you know what they manufacture and/or sell by putting it their company name. I guess Vetta sells a bunch of stuff so no reason to specify; I have an old '70s Vetta frame set, nor sure if it is the same company though.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
https://www.prologo.it/en/products/dimension-agx
"Carbon is faster"
(05-15-2021, 05:40 PM)Nikko Wrote:  https://www.prologo.it/en/products/dimension-agx

I can vouch for this saddle as well. I came with my Felt Breed. It's very comfortable, and it looks cool.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
(05-17-2021, 07:43 AM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  
(05-15-2021, 05:40 PM)Nikko Wrote:  https://www.prologo.it/en/products/dimension-agx

I can vouch for this saddle as well. I came with my Felt Breed. It's very comfortable, and it looks cool.

Well this is a contender! Thanks!
@J_R_Schultz what is the longest you have done on it?
Focus Mares AL 105
(05-19-2021, 08:35 AM)Henry_G Wrote:  
(05-17-2021, 07:43 AM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  

Well this is a contender! Thanks!
@J_R_Schultz what is the longest you have done on it?
40 miles so far - Combination of road and gravel.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
(05-12-2021, 08:58 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(05-12-2021, 05:05 AM)Henry_G Wrote:  
Always a pleasure.

Wow, that is a bit expensive (I had to look). I think that my Vetta saddles (touring models) are probably the most comfortable for riding in a bit more relaxed/upright position. Thus, I tend to use them more often on commutes and rides with varying terrains (on and off-road). Having ridden the same San Marco saddle for about 30 years keeps me a loyal customer, and recently (probably for a few years now) they reissued the "Rolls" models at around $150 or so (think I paid about $60 new in the late '80s), but I have bought some online for about half that price for a new one.

The "Selle" moniker is merely "saddles" in Italian; kind of like seeing Discount Tire, Tire Kingdom, etc.; just different companies letting you know what they manufacture and/or sell by putting it their company name. I guess Vetta sells a bunch of stuff so no reason to specify; I have an old '70s Vetta frame set, nor sure if it is the same company though.
I ride Selle Italia and Selle San Marcos saddles on my race/road bikes . . . and even on my cheap-ass $400.00 single speed. They're awesome. But about 14 months ago I bought my first gravel bike (a steel-frame Norco) and the first add-on I purchased was (after considerable research and knowing I would beat this bike hard in all sorts of weather conditions and so wasn't going to spend the big $$$ on a saddle ) a WTB Silverado (142mm (I'm 6'0", average build), steel rails, "standard" padding - that's all from their spec) and have loved it from the first ride going forward. Now some 2,400 miles into it (longest ride = 51 miles), it looks and feels great!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post