Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Gravel bikes for women
I'm on a hunt for a decent women's gravel bike for my fiancee. We would use it for touring on gravel/forest/road and evening training rides. Second hand options are considered too. I strongly prefer hydraulic disc brakes over mech disc brakes, but other than that there is not much else in terms of should not.

Can anyone suggest women's gravel bike models from 2019 to 2022? I am aware of Liv gravel bikes but they are not as common in my area as elsewhere (UK, US etc.). I just noticed, on marketplace, a Cannondale gravel bike (51cm frame; alright for 5'5 height (164cm)) that's been used by a teenager for triathlon purpose. I am not sure whether a women's specific gravel frame will make a difference or not.
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
I normally ride a 52cm (c-c; I'm 5'7"/170cm), but with a horizontal TT. I would I imagine that with a sloping TT it would be fine for someone 164cm. The main issue might be reach depending on type of handlebar and stem length she expects to use. Crank length might also be an issue. Of course all can be modified for better fit. The best thing is to take it for an adequate test ride under the same conditions to what she expects to ride on. That would also help determine if the saddle was a good fit for her.

Not being a "gravel biker" per se (I just modify road and touring bikes for the same purpose) I cannot give any specific bike recommendation, other than to say it would be hard to go wrong with a Cannondale if the price is good; but the bike's frame may be a limitation regarding fitting wider tires for gravel use if it is a tri-bike. Most of my road frames will not allow much over 30mm wide, touring frames a little wider. It seems most folks are riding 40-45mm tires; my widest off-road tires are 35mm (except mtb), which I like due to longer time on pavement than gravel trails since I have to ride quite a distance to get off-road trails.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
A few gravel bikes allegedly designed with women in mind to check out (not all of these are still in production):

Santa Cruz Juliana Quincy
Bombtrack Hook WMN
Cannondale Topstone Women's 2
Canyon Grizl 6 WMN

A good alternative is to get a professional bike fit done and then find a gravel bike with suitable size/geometry. I'm not sure how 'women-specific' the geo is on any of the bikes listed above or whether they deem bikes for women simply to mean small frame, wider saddle, narrower bars, and colors that male designers think women want. I hope that helps? Smile
Hello,
You may want to consider the Apollo gravel bike by Priority Bikes of NYC. It’s a LOT of quality for $2000! I have one and I love it. What’s most appealing is that this bike comes with a Gates belt drive with integrated gears inside the rear hub, hence no chain or derailleur problems to sideline a long ride. The bike has 11 speeds, and plenty of options for hillclimbs and such.

[quote='Beth Mason' pid='46311' dateline='1689291863']
Hello,
You may want to consider the Apollo gravel bike by Priority Bikes of NYC. It’s a LOT of quality for $2000! I have one and I love it. What’s most appealing is that this bike comes with a Gates belt drive with integrated gears inside the rear hub, hence no chain or derailleur problems to sideline a long ride. The bike has 11 speeds, and plenty of options for hillclimbs and such.

Or, if money is no object, take a look at the Trek Checkpoint, the AL7 version. Trek makes seriously fine bikes and they hold their resale value well.
(07-13-2023, 07:44 PM)Beth Mason Wrote:  Hello,

Hello,

Or, if money is no object, take a look at the Trek Checkpoint, the AL7 version. Trek makes seriously fine bikes and they hold their resale value well.

That Apollo bike seems like a good shout just looked them up cause I’d never heard of them and they’re on sale for 1800 too 🤘🏼
(07-14-2023, 10:48 AM)Lss555 Wrote:  
(07-13-2023, 07:44 PM)Beth Mason Wrote:  Hello,

Hello,

That Apollo bike seems like a good shout just looked them up cause I’d never heard of them and they’re on sale for 1800 too 🤘🏼

You will NOT go wrong with this bike! Check out the YouTube review of the Apollo too; there's a link to it on the page for the Apollo at Prioritybikes.com. This bike is a game-changer for my bike-packing and long distance riding!
(07-05-2023, 06:48 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  I'm on a hunt for a decent women's gravel bike for my fiancee. We would use it for touring on gravel/forest/road and evening training rides. Second hand options are considered too. I strongly prefer hydraulic disc brakes over mech disc brakes, but other than that there is not much else in terms of should not.

Can anyone suggest women's gravel bike models from 2019 to 2022? I am aware of Liv gravel bikes but they are not as common in my area as elsewhere (UK, US etc.). I just noticed, on marketplace, a Cannondale gravel bike (51cm frame; alright for 5'5 height (164cm)) that's been used by a teenager for triathlon purpose. I am not sure whether a women's specific gravel frame will make a difference or not.

Hello just sharing my bike fitter's thoughts on this topic, we both believe that "Women" specific is not really a thing and its more of a marketing jargon in our industry, any bike as long as it is fitted to a person will do well. The only nice thing about these "Women" specific brands is they have wide saddles and small sizing which usually fit most women but ofcourse since everybody is different it may not be the same case for you and your fiancé. A nice gravel bike that have a wide variety of sizing for small people to huge people is Marin and Polygon, these bikes are produced in Indonesia and have sizes catered for Western and Asian markets. Hope this helps
(07-05-2023, 06:48 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  I'm on a hunt for a decent women's gravel bike for my fiancee. We would use it for touring on gravel/forest/road and evening training rides. Second hand options are considered too. I strongly prefer hydraulic disc brakes over mech disc brakes, but other than that there is not much else in terms of should not.

Your budget will help suggesting bikes. Maybe we can find you something expensive but second hand or completely new. BTW have you considered gravel e-bikes?
Thanks, everyone for the suggestions! The gravel bike idea execution has stretched into 2024 and I'm not sure if we'll have gravel bike additions to our family this season too. Nevertheless, it's great to keep 'a hand on the pulse' and to be acquainted with some of the most suitable women's gravel bikes on the market.

(07-17-2023, 09:56 AM)Talha Wrote:  Your budget will help suggesting bikes. Maybe we can find you something expensive but second hand or completely new. BTW have you considered gravel e-bikes?

Gravel e-bikes? No, that is completely out of the picture until we are 65+ Smile
Regarding the budget, 1750 EUR or $1900 seems alright for a single gravel bike. For instance, @enkei 's suggested Canyon Grizl 6 WMN caught my attention.
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(07-17-2023, 09:56 AM)Talha Wrote:  

Your budget will help suggesting bikes. Maybe we can find you something expensive but second hand or completely new. BTW have you considered gravel e-bikes?
Hello—
Women-specific bikes are limited; that usually refers to the step-through frame, as with a mountain bike. Bicycles are unisex. I saved up and bought a new Trek Checkpoint ALS-7 with disc brakes and all the latest accoutrements. Trek makes this bike in several versions and price points. Take a look at Trek! I’m very happy with mine, despite the steep cost.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-10-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: GirishH

04-08-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Amanda_W