Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

How to keep your bicycle safe?
Hey BikeRiders,
May was National Bike Month. Let's continue celebrating the cycling community by discussing how to keep our bicycles safe against thefts and damage.

For example, how do you keep your bike safe while transporting it? How do you keep it safe on the streets?
I often leave my fixie locked for 5-10mins so a lightweight and secure-enough lock is a must + it must have a rubber layer that doesn't scratch the frame and paint.
I use a U-Lock now.

OnGuard Pitbull DT

This model is shorter, and restricts lock-up capability, but gives people less room to work with.
Never let it out of my site!
(06-04-2021, 01:19 AM)bluesbreaker Wrote:  Never let it out of my site!

Yeah this is what I was going to say! I need a better method for when lockers aren't around
I've never heard of this, but I would love to learn more. I've had three(3) bicycles stolen within the las 6 months.
Is it due to the locks that I'm putting on them or just me not knowing what I'm doing? Just asking.
I put two locks on it. It is a hassle but worth it.
(06-01-2021, 06:38 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hey BikeRiders,
May was National Bike Month. Let's continue celebrating the cycling community by discussing how to keep our bicycles safe against thefts and damage.

For example, how do you keep your bike safe while transporting it? How do you keep it safe on the streets?

Looking at options now.

I use 3 locks and pray.!
You need to be aware of your surroundings; be it at home, work, or play. I only transport my bike(s) in a closed vehicle for both security and maintenance reasons. If parking outside I have direct sight of the bike. I do not carry a lock since I rarely commute (except to work) for errands, shopping, etc. The pub I used to go to allowed me to bring it inside during slow hours (the only time I was there) after my post work rides. Most bike locks are easily overcome and if the bike is not visible to yourself and/or the general public, I would find a better place to store it. Someone having had 3 bikes stolen in the past half year must be in a bad neighborhood (are other bikes being stolen in the same direct vicinity at such a high frequency?), or has just the type of bike thieves are looking for, and an easy lock to overcome. Suggest well lit areas, preferably with a camera(s) monitoring the area and signs stating the same. Make sure you have your serial number written down, as well as a photo of the bike and the number. Report thefts to the police; if they aren't aware of the problem it won't be addressed for your area.
Where I work, folks have had parts and bikes stolen. If you have quick release wheels, saddle, etc.; make sure you have a lock, chain, cable, etc. that can secure all of those easily removed parts which cost a pretty penny to replace if stolen. You can wire in a siren/alarm to alert you if your bike is being tampered with, of course you need to be within earshot of the bike.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Thumbs Up 
Being an elder guy, I always make sure I have my lock in hand before walking out the door with my bike(bike kept inside my apartment)

hope and pray!!
I don't transport my bicycle, but I used to lock mine up with a Kryptonite Keeper, but someone figured out how to remove the pole I had locked my bike to, and stole my bike. So -- I'm looking for a new bike and a new lock. Love the Foldylock Pride lock!
I use a ULock
I don't bring my good bikes anywhere where I might have to stop and lock. I use a more disposable bike for that and lock it with a cable through all it's easily removable parts.
Locks, locks and more locks. If someone is going to jack my bike, they are going to have to put in the work.
Hide gps tracker on bike.
Keep photographs of your bike. Put a strong lock on it and keep it inside a shed or something. You can also put CCTV cameras.
I use a mobile bike anti-theft service, Bike Shepherd.
Safe? do you mean safe from theft, or safe from accidents?
Wag more, bark less

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-07-2021, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Djurida