Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

2007 Trek Pilot S.P.A. 5.2
I have a 2007 Trek Pilot SPA 5.2 that has the elastomer shock to absorb vibrations from the road. I need to replace the elastomer shock because mine is deteriorating. I have already found and purchased a new elastomer shock. My problem is trying to disassemble the frame in order to replace the shock/bumper. The post/axel that is supposed to slide out does not slide at all. I am wondering if there is anybody out there who has worked on one of these 2007 Trek Pilot SPA 5.2 bikes and can give me some advice from their own experiences.

Please view the attachment. You will see that the shaft (D) should be able to slide out after I removed the set screw (E) and then removed the rear brake bushing (F). I have done this and the shaft (D) does not slide out. The shaft (D) seems to be stuck.

Thank you,
Jon B.

Sorry no one seemed to have the know-how here for your issue. I certainly didn't, so there wasn't anything I could add.

In general, you have to use a mallet for seized steerer tubes.

I'm interested to know what solution you found for this.
Jon,
I had been struggling with the same issue on my ‘06 Pilot which I am very attached to.
You post with the diagram helped me understand what I was looking at. I initially removed the brake bolt but couldn’t figure out how to get the pin out. My LBS wouldn’t touch it as they didn’t know the setup and weren’t interested in researching it.
After seeing your post yesterday, I took it apart again and figured out that a bolt or machine screw can be threaded into the bottom of the pin. At that point you can use some modest force to pull it down to clear room to insert the new elastomer. If it’s really stuck turn it side to side , then pull down. Be sure to clean the threads before you connect a bolt to the pin .
I also used silicone grease made for rubber O rings in plumbing that is safe for rubber and put a thin film on the pin before reinserting it.
Pulling out the old elastomer and putting in the new one takes a little cajoling with the frame , but it has enough play in it to make the swap.
Finally, when you replace the pin keep it in line with the horizontal brake assembly bolt hole and go slow so it’s lined up well.
I also lightly lubed the brake bolt with 3 :1 oil to make it easier to get it all back together.
Sorry this is so long an explanation . I hope it helps!
Rich

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-07-2015, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Painkiller