Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

What do you like about gravel bikes?
Good luck!
Love the design and sturdiness of the bike. It's well made and rides great on gravel.
Gravel biking is fairly unique and requires a slightly different set of skills than regular road biking which is something that I really enjoy about it.
If I get it (this my only entry), I won't be "persecuted" by the gravel bike riders for riding my road bike (much lighter!) in "their" competitions. Yes, it has happened! I'd end up stripping it down in order to up it into the road bike level of speed I'm used to anyways. Been gravel rIding on road bikes for 40 years now.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I like that they can withstand almost any terrain.
These bikes have sleek lines, super colors, and best of all, a seat that actually fits most derrières!
I like how sturdy the bike is, I'm a little uneasy sometimes on bikes but not with this!
Thanks for hosting the contest!
I like that it fills the niche between mountain and road. Room for aggressive tires, more comfortable geo.
I really like how you can pretty much ride them anywhere.. They are amazing..
Gravel has the best balance between both worlds. Would love to be able to afford one. Thanks .
I love the design of this bike!
(10-07-2020, 10:15 AM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!

This is a thread for Van Dessel Cycles giveaway participants.
What do you like about gravel biking and gravel bikes? Share it in the comments.

This giveaway applies to the 48 Contiguous United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii).

Congratulations @KENNETH GUMBS, you are the lucky winner! Exclamation

Thank you so much for the great news, and thanks for this great site! The biking tips are invaluable and the giveaways are the icing on the cake! While I'm not new to biking, this will be my first non-road bike. I look forward to learning the ins and outs of gravel biking...
Thank you so much for sharing the great news that I was selected the winner! I find BikeRide.com to be a great resource for all things-bike related and the giveaways are just the icing on the cake! While I am not new to biking in general, the Van Dessel will be my first gravel bike. I look forward to learning the "tricks of the trade" of these bikes. Thanks for such a great site and for offering such exciting giveaways!
@KENNETH GUMBS, you probably won't like it. You probably should just give it to me.
"Steel is real."
- IDK, some guy.
Haha I am next one line then Big Grin

Congrats @KENNETH GUMBS and enjoy riding! You will be hooked very soon!
Focus Mares AL 105
(10-07-2020, 08:21 PM)KENNETH GUMBS Wrote:  What I like about gravel bikes is their combination of road and off-road qualities.

I've been reading a lot of articles about how a gravel bike is easily adaptable to the road, but, of course, the road bike is not going on gravel. I guess I would have to compare the specifics of geometry and group sets and weight ratios to see if I would be able to keep up with my fast group rides on a gravel bike. Any insight on the major differences?
I have some mileage ambitions and I like a bit of extra climbing ability & sure-footed tire width. Modern road & mountain bikes seem a little too specific for my fickle self. I tried used gravel bike at the swap meet and it just spoke to me.
I'm hoping to find out when I finally get my first gravel bike. Been shopping for one lately but it's been hard to find the bike I want in the size I want locally. Came very, very close but it sold before I could get in there. Shucks!
(10-07-2020, 10:15 AM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
What do you like about gravel biking and gravel bikes? Share it in the comments.

I love the combination of drop bars with wider tires! Not only can I pedal on the street, I can take it off road with no worries. The gravel bike makes the best touring and bikepacking choice for the same reasons. While I like road bikes, I find the narrow tires problematic when it comes to road debris and random rocks. Luckily, the gravel bike is steadier and less likely to wipe out on rough roads. I bought a new Trek Checkpoint ALS-7 and I am completely satisfied with it’s performance!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-10-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: GirishH

04-08-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Amanda_W

02-12-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Beth Mason