Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Single-speed to 8x geared conversion shifter problem
Hi all
new to the site; I'm sure this is something that has come up before, but I'm currently trying to do a single-speed to 8x geared conversion, with a downtube shifter.
I've got the dropdown hanger for the rear derailleur bolted into the drop-out (after reading advice from this site...thanks!), and the rear derailleur mounted.

The chain runs through the derailleur and smallest gear (and the front cassette) fine, and I've attached the cable into the derailleur OK. The derailleur adjusts position when I use the shifter, but the chain doesn't move with it. I can manually move the chain onto the biggest sprocket, but not currently using the shifter.  I've tried tightening the cable, but am not 100% sure what the starting position of the shifter should be (I've not found much on Youtube for this) and have double-checked I've routed the cable through the shifter properly (using parktool guide).  I'm officially stumped.

Does that make any sense? If so, does anyone have any advice? I can provide a photo if it helps. Any/ all suggestions welcome!

Cheers
T
(01-16-2016, 07:39 AM)Tomtebi Wrote:  Hi all
new to the site; I'm sure this is something that has come up before, but I'm currently trying to do a single-speed to 8x geared conversion, with a downtube shifter.
I've got the dropdown hanger for the rear derailleur bolted into the drop-out (after reading advice from this site...thanks!), and the rear derailleur mounted.

The chain runs through the derailleur and smallest gear (and the front cassette) fine, and I've attached the cable into the derailleur OK. The derailleur adjusts position when I use the shifter, but the chain doesn't move with it. I can manually move the chain onto the biggest sprocket, but not currently using the shifter.  I've tried tightening the cable, but am not 100% sure what the starting position of the shifter should be (I've not found much on Youtube for this) and have double-checked I've routed the cable through the shifter properly (using parktool guide).  I'm officially stumped.

Does that make any sense? If so, does anyone have any advice? I can provide a photo if it helps. Any/ all suggestions welcome!

Cheers
T

I do my own work, I am no expert, but I have ideas. Are you using a 8 speed chain? A single speed chain is wider than an 8 speed chain and would probably not shift.
Is the chain the correct length? The Park Tool site has methods by which you can estimate if your chain length is long enough. Duane
(01-16-2016, 10:05 AM)Old Duane Wrote:  

Cheers
T

I do my own work, I am no expert, but I have ideas. Are you using a 8 speed chain? A single speed chain is wider than an 8 speed chain and would probably not shift.
Is the chain the correct length? The Park Tool site has methods by which you can estimate if your chain length is long enough.  Duane

Hi Duane
I am using an 8 speed chain, and I'm fairly sure it's the right length, but i'll double check. Thanks for the suggestion

T
(01-16-2016, 10:35 AM)Tomtebi Wrote:  

Cheers
T

Is the chain the correct length? The Park Tool site has methods by which you can estimate if your chain length is long enough.  Duane

Hi Duane
I am using an 8 speed chain, and I'm fairly sure it's the right length, but i'll double check.  Thanks for the suggestion

T

Hopefully one of the Pros will be able to pin down the problem when they notice your post. However, the derailleur cog should be directly in line with each gear. Here is an excellent website that can help with many questions: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html Best Wishes, Duane Smile
Thanks Duane Smile

(01-16-2016, 11:38 AM)Old Duane Wrote:  
(01-16-2016, 10:35 AM)Tomtebi Wrote:  

Cheers
T

Hi Duane
I am using an 8 speed chain, and I'm fairly sure it's the right length, but i'll double check.  Thanks for the suggestion

T

Hopefully one of the Pros will be able to pin down the problem when they notice your post. However, the derailleur cog should be directly in line with each gear. Here is an excellent website that can help with many questions: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html    Best Wishes, Duane Smile

Possibly Related Threads...