Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Where front shifter cable attaches?
Hi!

I've replaced my front shifter cable. However I dont know where to guide the wire in the front derailleur and where to fasten it to. The inner cable video http://bikeride.com/inner-shift-cable/ only deals with the back derailleur, and but can't get any hints from the front derailleur adjustment video http://bikeride.com/adjust-front-derailer/ . I've looked for pictures but can't find anything. I would appreciate all help with this!

Thanks in advance!

Los
The cable attaches at point "A" and, with that design of shifter, goes down to the bottom bracket.
There should be a shallow slot where the cable clamps.
Usually the cable goes under the bottom bracket but some older frames it goes just above.
If you look under the BB there should be a cable guide there.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(04-14-2011, 02:56 PM)los Wrote:  Hi!

I've replaced my front shifter cable. However I dont know where to guide the wire in the front derailleur and where to fasten it to. The inner cable video http://bikeride.com/inner-shift-cable/ only deals with the back derailleur, and but can't get any hints from the front derailleur adjustment video http://bikeride.com/adjust-front-derailer/ . I've looked for pictures but can't find anything. I would appreciate all help with this!

Thanks in advance!

Los

this picture should help
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Ok, I understand where to clamp the end.

Now I'm not sure where to feed the cable into the derailleur so that it will actually change gears.
your pic shows you have the cable running inside your cage. no no
look at my pic closer. the cable runs behind the seat tube, then up behind the cage then over the bolt
from the back to front
push your finger on the top of derailluer and see how it moves. that mimics the cable pulling from the bottom
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Ok, I moved the wire to behind the cage so it follows the seat tubing.

I think something additional needs to be done here, otherwise the derailleur doesn't move upon changing gears.

There is a black plastic cylindrical piece that, if I put the wire against it, there seems to be "some" movement of the derailleur. However, it doesn't shift nicely through the three gears at all. This leads me to think that the black cylinder is important, but that I need to somehow change the positioning of the wire with respect to the cylinder.

If the wire is so that it lies away from the black cylinder, there is no movement at all.
As pk sort of suggested. Take the cable (wire) away entirely. Using your finger push against A, and look to see how the derailleur moves. The cable should ONLY be attached to A, and be well away from all other parts of the derailleur.
Nigel
Ive found out that the real problem is not cable placement but rather that it was not tense enough. I can get it pretty tense by grabbing on the wire with my hand and then securing it. However, I was wondering if there was some trick or tool to really pulling the wire hard; i've tried wrapping the end of the wire around a pencil. Any other tricks?

Thanks in advance!

Los
(04-19-2011, 09:23 AM)los Wrote:  Ive found out that the real problem is not cable placement but rather that it was not tense enough. I can get it pretty tense by grabbing on the wire with my hand and then securing it. However, I was wondering if there was some trick or tool to really pulling the wire hard; i've tried wrapping the end of the wire around a pencil. Any other tricks?

Thanks in advance!

Los

I used pliers. after securing and confirming it works properly; I put a cap over the end to prevent fraying.
Nigel
There are these too, but if you only do this a couple times then stick with what nfmisso said. http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1226.html
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-02-2021, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Blank.Toogii

04-21-2019, 10:41 PM
Last Post: peter bill

10-05-2017, 10:28 PM
Last Post: kazz