Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Tight Chain Rollers after winter?
Hi all,

After my main summer steed was parked all winter, I noticed that while the chain was cleaned before I "parked" it, it now has very tight rollers...

I use Dumonde tech lube (likely over-lubed Smile ), and I was wondering if I remove the chain and use mineral spirits, if that will loosen the rollers. I did try to use more Dumonde to "soak" through to the rollers using the standard one drop per side, but while some appeared to loosen a bit, most seem to be pretty gummed still.

Just wondering if the soaking in mineral oil would be the best way to revive the chain. It only has about 1000 miles on it, and is well within the wear indicator. I'm just afraid of riding it now and chewing up the sprocket and cog teeth with the rollers not functioning freely.

Any advice appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Regards,

Milan
Cleaning and lubing chains is an area of great controversy. See:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

I am a mechanical design engineer, and in my opinion, chains should only be cleaned with a dry rag, re-lubricated with an oil - not spray, run in by hand for a few dozen revolutions on all gear combinations, then lightly wiped with a clean rag to remove excess lubricant on the outside.

Solvents get inside chains and displace the oil and grease inside, and there is no practical way to get the grease back inside.

For your situation, I would suggest soaking the chain in oil for a few days, lightly wipe down, then re-installing and exercising by hand, followed by the final light wipe down.
Nigel
(01-27-2011, 02:54 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  Cleaning and lubing chains is an area of great controversy. See:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

I am a mechanical design engineer, and in my opinion, chains should only be cleaned with a dry rag, re-lubricated with an oil - not spray, run in by hand for a few dozen revolutions on all gear combinations, then lightly wiped with a clean rag to remove excess lubricant on the outside.

Solvents get inside chains and displace the oil and grease inside, and there is no practical way to get the grease back inside.

For your situation, I would suggest soaking the chain in oil for a few days, lightly wipe down, then re-installing and exercising by hand, followed by the final light wipe down.

Thanks Nigel,

I read Sheldon's site on this previously. Chain cleaning is almost a political discussion Smile.

Thanks for the suggestion, going to give a few things a try this weekend.

Milan

Possibly Related Threads...