Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Removing "new" suicide/brake levers
I'm trying to remove the inner brake levers on my Felt road bike, because I don't use them and I'm never in that position anyway. I didn't really know what to call them and I've dealt with "suicide levers" in the past. I'm able to unscrew them easy enough - but can't get them off the brake cable. Any suggestions?

[attachment=1153]
[attachment=1154]

Thanks!
You will have to remove the innerwire.
Disconnect the wires from the calipers and pull off the outers.
This should allow you to remove the "suicide" levers.
You will possibly have to fit complete new outers? (Front to the caliper and rear to the first stop on top tube.)
Ride hard or ride home alone!
Hmm interesting set up lots of brake levers. Have not seen one before. Makes sense for most riders I see who hold the top part. Made sense to Felt.

I would guess there are two ways of doing it , one continuous cable with the center brake having a jaws mechanisim that grabs the cable in the middle, In which cycler Uk instructions are on , or a two cables a short cable running to the center lever from the second lever that grabs the longer cable running to the brakes inside the center lever. In which case you need entire new cables.

In either case you need to start by disconnecting at brakes.

BTW are you aware of These recalls??

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/07/news/felt-bicycles-recalls-road-bikes-due-to-aluminum-steerer-tube-failures_124377
Never Give Up!!!
Thanks for that. It's one continuous cable with a grabbing mechanism. I'm going to attempt to disconnect the brakes, and hope I can get everything back to its current state considering I'm terrible with brakes/cables. You don't see these levers on most prosumer bikes, usually they're for more "recreational" bikes ie under $1000. I bought the bike in 2007 I believe, but it's nice that they put out a recall for bikes purchased up to two years ago.
Very nice Bike indeed. Just take plenty of pictures of how it is run and hooked together for reference before you start into them. Wink
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
These type of levers are used on cyclocross bikes but some people like them as they are easy to use when riding the handlebar tops.
You'll need to replace the cable outer from the main lever, because there will be a gap in it. You'll lose that additional barrel adjuster too.
(07-12-2010, 08:21 PM)xerxes Wrote:  You'll need to replace the cable outer from the main lever, because there will be a gap in it. You'll lose that additional barrel adjuster too.

What if I attach the available outing pieces with electrical tape or something? I believe I have some spare tubes I took off another bike at one point, no clue if they're the correct length or anything.

Should removing the rear brake lever be more complicated?
(07-12-2010, 09:49 PM)cmcintoshphoto Wrote:  
(07-12-2010, 08:21 PM)xerxes Wrote:  You'll need to replace the cable outer from the main lever, because there will be a gap in it. You'll lose that additional barrel adjuster too.

What if I attach the available outing pieces with electrical tape or something? I believe I have some spare tubes I took off another bike at one point, no clue if they're the correct length or anything.

Should removing the rear brake lever be more complicated?

They're called "Cross Brakes", or "Interrupter Brakes".

The main brake pulls the inner cable to achieve braking. The cross brake pushes the outer housing to achieve braking. Properly adjusted they work well.

If you decide to remove them you will have to replace the two section of outer cable housing (per brake) with a new single section of outer housing. Trying to tape them together will not only look like c**p but the weak joint could cause serious braking problems, turning them into "suicide brakes".

The rear brake will not be any more complicated, you'll just have to deal with a longer inner cable.
Ye 10-4 to that. Got to do it right it is brakes after all. The loss of center brake cable adjuster needs to be addressed making sure that there is a adjuster in the cable run, most likely at the brakes themselves . The adjusters at levers are possible too although the road bikes I have seen do not have adjusters at levers. .

I think rather that messing with outer housing just get complete brake lines and install. Nothing gained keeping old cable inners.

Personally I have no problem with the current system. Most riders I see ride with hands on top anyway.
Never Give Up!!!
Seeing as how you've got the bar tape removed then just put new outers on.
I have extended a brake outer by adding a short section but I was being lazy with not wanting to remove the bar tape. The brake works fine.

Possibly Related Threads...