Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Removing DT Shifter Bosses? (Not sure exactly...) [Solved]
Hey Everyone,

New here and I'm currently taking on a small project on converting an old-school Fuji to a SS/Fixed flipflop. Firstly I want to thank you for your time and I'm looking forward to being in this forum as a regular 😁

So im currently having trouble figuring out how to remove the DT Shimano shifters seeing as I don't want to ruin the frame, but do want a nice clean frame look. is there a much easy or a right way to remove these? Please see attached photos to what I'm referring to.

Please, if I butchered something feel free to correct me as well, I've just been a casual SS rider but have always wanted to convert a older bike (love how they look )

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome Fauxjo!

Since they are brazed-on fittings, it will require some heat to take them off. Though I don't know what type of tubing your bike has, due care should be taken not to over heat the frame/tubing in order to remove them (the higher the quality the tubing {thinner wall/butted}, the less heating is advised; should be done by someone with experience dealing with this type of work). Of course the paintwork will suffer unless you plan on repainting the frame later after the removal. I'm too "old school" for removal of these, but I can agree with you that the older lugged frames look better, and not having those bosses on the bike would give it a better/smoother look. Of course, if you ever decide to get rid of it, it would lose some intrinsic value due to the modification, especially if someone was looking to restore it back into a multispeed bike. There's an upside and a downside with these types of conversions on older frames.

Good luck,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(06-26-2020, 04:25 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Welcome Fauxjo!

Since they are brazed-on fittings, it will require some heat to take them off. Though I don't know what type of tubing your bike has, due care should be taken not to over heat the frame/tubing in order to remove them (the higher the quality the tubing {thinner wall/butted}, the less heating is advised; should be done by someone with experience dealing with this type of work). Of course the paintwork will suffer unless you plan on repainting the frame later after the removal. I'm too "old school" for removal of these, but I can agree with you that the older lugged frames look better, and not having those bosses on the bike would give it a better/smoother look. Of course, if you ever decide to get rid of it, it would lose some intrinsic value due to the modification, especially if someone was looking to restore it back into a multispeed bike. There's an upside and a downside with these types of conversions on older frames.

Good luck,
Jesper

ahh i see. Thank you for the reply. The bike is Cro-Mo. I was thinking on going to a metal shop and asking if they could do it for me or i have also heard maybe taking a hacksaw to it could do the trick then just taking care of the area with some sanding down etc. This bike will always be SS so i dont mind if it loses value. I definitely will be keep it as long as i can Big Grin. i do plan on repainting the frame as well so im open to all ideas.

I will be riding the bike a bit with its original paint and the bosses will still be on, so i wanted to ask if there might be any other creative options on covering them?

thanks again for your time and knowledge.
(06-29-2020, 12:11 PM)Fauxjo Wrote:  ahh i see. Thank you for the reply. The bike is Cro-Mo. I was thinking on going to a metal shop and asking if they could do it for me or i have also heard maybe taking a hacksaw to it could do the trick then just taking care of the area with some sanding down etc. This bike will always be SS so i dont mind if it loses value. I definitely will be keep it as long as i can Big Grin. i do plan on repainting the frame as well so im open to all ideas.

I will be riding the bike a bit with its original paint and the bosses will still be on, so i wanted to ask if there might be any other creative options on covering them?

thanks again for your time and knowledge.

You certainly can take them of with a hacksaw. It will take a little effort, but not too bad. If you use a Dremel, Ryobi (or similar tool) with a cutting wheel, it will reduce the work time, and you can use the same tool to clean-up/de-burr the frame. Just try to do it at a slower speed and pause to allow the area to cool off occasionally. While they are still attached, you can use them as dual gun mounts ( my friend's suggestion); nobody will even start to consider your "useless" bosses at that time. I ride bikes using the rear derailleur only with the front removed; thus, l have an unused boss on the left side. They can be used for bottle/ accessory mounts if not removed. Let your imagination run ride!
Given that you are repainting it, that makes it a little easier not having to be overly conservative concerning their removal (except not extreme overheating). Still, they could be left in place and be modified for your use as mounting points for many different accessories. The sky is the limit!
I'd certainly like to see how it turns out, please post a shot of it when you get a chance

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...