Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Removing Front Derailleur on a 3x?
Question 
I'm a newbie but I'm planning to remove the front derailleur off of my 3x8 GT Agressor Pro. Could I get some pros and cons of doing this and what I should next if I remove it?

Thanks Smile
(11-20-2020, 06:03 PM)Khoa Tran Wrote:  I'm a newbie but I'm planning to remove the front derailleur off of my 3x8 GT Agressor Pro. Could I get some pros and cons of doing this and what I should do next if I remove it?

Thanks Smile

Hello Khoa and welcome!

Give us some more specifics. Are you: removing it permanently, removing for repair/rebuild, removing to replace with a same model or different model/brand? What is the make/model of the original derailleur, and if replacing what is the new mech?
Were you experiencing a problem that initiated the removal? Also, a photo would not be a bad idea.
As a general rule if everything was initially working fine and you don't expect to change anything other than to do maintenance I would mark the position of the unit on the frame with tape/marker, and mark the cable where it clamps to the unit. This will allow you to reinstall the original unit or a new same model unit without any guesswork; if you use a different model/brand these marks should still keep you in the ballpark. You still may have to make some minor adjustments, usually related to cable stretch/wear which you should be able to do without affecting the unit's mounted position.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...