Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rubbing brakes on 2 of my bikes
Hi,

My wife and I are both having problems with rubbing brakes. My wife on her front tire, and mine on the back tire. Whats "weird" is that it only occurs during the ride. The bike shop told us just to physically move and realign our calipers, but I'm wondering if this is a good idea. The shops presumption is that during a ride, we'll hit a bump and the tire jerks, which hits and moves the brakes.

What do you think? The tires seem to be true and seated properly in the frame.

Please help!
What kind of brakes does each bike have?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(07-04-2010, 07:46 AM)Bill Wrote:  What kind of brakes does each bike have?

We have side pull caliper brakes - shimano ultegra components.
Make sure the screw (usually Allen key required) that secures the brake where it goes through the back of the fork/rear brace is tight. Nothing should make the brakes move once set.

The little grub screw that is on the top of the middle section can be adjusted to do the final alignment.
Don't have the pads to near the rims but close enough to give braking with comfortable lever hand pressure.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
All calipers can be difficult to centre, some have special tools to do it, not sure about these. A trick that some times works, loosen the retaining nut at the back, pull the brake lever hard so the blocks are tight on the rim and retighten.
+1 on CyclerUK's advice. Make sure the mounting bolt is tight, these shouldn't be moving around when you ride. But center using the adjustment screw visible in the picture. That's what it's there for.
Go back and take a good look at you wheels and rims make sure they are true that's what I would check first.Then do what others said here next.Sounds like that bike shop needs to check out your bicycle's a little better or I would find a new bike shop but that's me.That bicycle you have looks to be a good set up on the brakes it has the better parts on it for sure.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
To support the above advice given here is Alex's video which may help ya along too... http://bikeride.com/sidepull-caliper-brakes/
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Have a look at this;
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SI_8G60A_002/SI-8G60A-002-ENG_v1_m56577569830670754.pdf

Possibly Related Threads...