Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New chain / old freewheel?
I recently rebuilt my old 86 Schwinn and replaced the chain at the same time. On the small cogs, when under pressure, the chain seems like it's too short to reach the next cog. I used a 6/7/8 speed chain, but have a 5 speed freewheel. Is my freewheel worn, or am I using the wrong chain? Or, something else?

(03-08-2020, 06:41 PM)isny Wrote:  I recently rebuilt my old 86 Schwinn and replaced the chain at the same time. On the small cogs, when under pressure, the chain seems like it's too short to reach the next cog. I used a 6/7/8 speed chain, but have a 5 speed freewheel. Is my freewheel worn, or am I using the wrong chain? Or, something else?

I'm trying to respond to you, but the program won't let me. Keeps telling me to remove a picture that I posted in my response. I've removed it eight times and I still can't post a response. Also each time I do that, I lose all my text.

Let's try again!

Did you match the length of the new chain with the old? Did you properly adjust the derailleur? Is the gear cable moving freely in its housing?

Without a photo of your cogs, I can't tell if they're worn. Here's a picture of a good cog/worn cog. If any of yours looks like the worn one, then you need to put a new freewheel on.

(03-10-2020, 08:26 PM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  
(03-08-2020, 06:41 PM)isny Wrote:  I recently rebuilt my old 86 Schwinn and replaced the chain at the same time. On the small cogs, when under pressure, the chain seems like it's too short to reach the next cog. I used a 6/7/8 speed chain, but have a 5 speed freewheel. Is my freewheel worn, or am I using the wrong chain? Or, something else?

I'm trying to respond to you, but the program won't let me. Keeps telling me to remove a picture that I posted in my response. I've removed it eight times and I still can't post a response. Also each time I do that, I lose all my text.

Let's try again!

Did you match the length of the new chain with the old? Did you properly adjust the derailleur? Is the gear cable moving freely in its housing?

Without a photo of your cogs, I can't tell if they're worn. Here's a picture of a good cog/worn cog. If any of yours looks like the worn one, then you need to put a new freewheel on.

This thing has gone crazy, tonight
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
Personally, I always comply with the rule that x-speed fits x-speed and y-speed fits y-speed. Shouldn' t you simply use 5-speed chain for 5-speed freewheel? Yesyes, I understand that 6/7 or 8-speed is also an option that fits. But isn' t it better for the long term with five and five? #notexpert

Possibly Related Threads...