Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

2011 GT Tachyon upgrade/mod
I always loved Hybrid type bikes, they serve a broad niche in cycling from comfort to sport fitness. I acquired this 2011 GT tachyon 4.0 hybrid That was the classic case of not being ridden much and tossed in the garage for 10yrs collecting dust and dirt. Being good at looking thru the crud to imagine how nice the finished refurb will look, I chose to kick this bike up a notch to create a Flat bar road bike/sport/fitness/commuter.
trying to figure out how to post images again so bear with me. I decided to keep the original shifters, and mini V-brakes, as for everything else it gets replaced to make and awesome big geared sport fitness hybrid, I chose Shimanos 2300 series crankset and rear derailluer, went with larger tires found mostly on todays hybrids.
and some Ritchey components to add to ride quality and of course looks, carbon seatpost, carbon bars, barends,and stem of all Ritchey components. and of a very nice set of Shimano Platform pedals to make the whole package come together smooth as butter. This bike re geared from stock with the right rider will now perform to speeds of 30mph on the flats or more.
I will add more images soon

Attached Files Image(s)

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Love the Tachyon. I would love to own one myself one day—and a GT Attack 1.0.
The tachyon 4.0 is a solid platform to leave as is or to build upon. who knows reap this one is being built to sell this spring (or sooner). In my area spring is the best time for bike sales. This build will be slated to come in at the $800 range
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
One of the first things to go was the ats stem system, I never move my stems up and down once the bike is setup for me, It limits stem choices and bar choices. so keeping with the Ritchey brand components I was able to do the stem bar swap quite nicely and add a mix of carbon and alloy spacers to suit. The stem has an inverted stripe pattern seen on the frame scheme of the bike and flows really nice in the overall look of the bike.

Attached Files Image(s)

Next I wanted to upgrade the drivetrain towards an more road bike gearing that would give me more bang for the buck. Thats where the Shimano 2300 series comes in. Crankset 30/42/52t and rear derailluer, Sram 11-28 rear cluster to make it all come together for flat speeds to 30mph or more. If one is not in shape for this then there is plenty of room to grow with the bike making a great fitness/sport Hybrid. Most often overlooked are pedals. I do not recommend skimping when it comes to pedals, after all they are the first moving part connecting the rider to the bicycle. Shimano platform pedals fit the bill on this build nicely.

Attached Files Image(s)

looks like a great urban fitness ride, @Painkiller ! I can't clearly recognize these shifters - which model is it?
and I am missing the classic side-on shot from the driveside Big Grin

p.s.
you managed to post images nicely
Local bike shop had a Tachyon 2.0 (Grey and Electric Yellow) on clearance and I missed out on it.

I really wanted to grab it, but couldn't get the funds in time. I had previously bought my Transeo 5.0 (Gunmetal and Blue) from there.

That's the one I would be looking to recapture if I did get one.
hey Papa, the shifters are st-ef51 3x8. Not quite ready for the full reveal yet. a few things to button up yet
(11-18-2022, 05:57 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  The tachyon 4.0 is a solid platform to leave as is or

I've been searching for a while. If you are Selling it please let me know. I am interested
That's a sweet build! Looks like a fantastic choice of upgrades.
Thank you, still have to finish her up. I have been busy because of the holiday time of year. I will wait till springtime to post it for sale. Seems to be the best time to move used bikes for me anyways. I am in pretty deep on this one and have to compete with other used bikes and what one can buy new to compare dollar for dollar. That is why this bike has to be as close to perfect as possible and not resemble a use bike at all. It has to be a contender to what is offered today in the $700 to $800 range. This bike listed for $660 in 2011.
Finally ready to roll, came out sweet and clean. The only stock parts are the wheels, frame/fork, shifters and front mech. Have not scaled it yet but thinkin it comes it under 24lbs. Was a fun build and a great platform to build from.

Attached Files Image(s)

Clean looking build! Any indexing issues using the SRAM cluster with the Shimano shifters? I am not familiar with their brand compatibility, and I might be doing the same thing if it works well.
(06-18-2023, 08:30 PM)Sybian Wrote:  Clean looking build! Any indexing issues using the SRAM cluster with the Shimano shifters? I am not familiar with their brand compatibility, and I might be doing the same thing if it works well.

yes the sram cluster is compatible and works well if you properly set the derailuer. Good quality and price point, I typically use a sram or kmc chain with a quik link
Nice job @Painkiller. You need to check on that other member who was interested in it.
Are those chainrings steel or aluminum? They look odd to me, but they are a bit out of my knowledge range regarding the period.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Thanks Jesper, I looked to see when The other member that said he was interested in it was last logged in on this site and it has been quite sometime ago.
The crankset is alloy arms with steel chainrings that are bolted not rivited. Back a few years ago Shimano put out the 2200/2203 series cranks and derailluers that
were of higher quality for the entry level road bikes. aimed towards new riders to enter the road bike thang. Instead of giving it a name such as ultegra or Sora etc. it was simply named "Shimano". I chose this setup for this build because it was silver which blended well with the frame and wheel graphics. Had the gearing i wanted to have and of great quality and an even better price point . I was able to get Nos crankset and rear mech. at a decent price. So put the money towards the parts that i felt would enhance the ride quality the most. The seat Sr yak has high durometer padding that feels much more padded than it looks, the sram high density foam lock on grips mated the carbon bars improve road shock very nice without sacrificing handling. I tend to stay away from lowend carbon forks and this works much better imo. along with the carbon seat post and larger 700x35 tires round it out quite nice. also sticking with the Ritchy components for a balance between Shimano and ritchey. Pretty much all new and ready to roll, the only way I like to sell a used bike. 95%+ Perfect in every way. one would never know it is over 10yrs old
(06-19-2023, 10:57 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Thanks Jesper, I looked to see when The other member that said he was interested in it was last logged in on this site and it has been quite sometime ago.
The crankset is alloy arms with steel chainrings that are bolted not riveted. Back a few years ago Shimano put out the 2200/2203 series cranks and derailleurs that
were of higher quality for the entry level road bikes. aimed towards new riders to enter the road bike thang. Instead of giving it a name such as ultegra or Sora etc. it was simply named "Shimano". I chose this setup for this build because it was silver which blended well with the frame and wheel graphics. Had the gearing i wanted to have and of great quality and an even better price point . I was able to get Nos crankset and rear mech. at a decent price. So put the money towards the parts that i felt would enhance the ride quality the most. The seat Sr yak has high durometer padding that feels much more padded than it looks, the sram high density foam lock on grips mated the carbon bars improve road shock very nice without sacrificing handling. I tend to stay away from low end carbon forks and this works much better imo. along with the carbon seat post and larger 700x35 tires round it out quite nice. also sticking with the Ritchey components for a balance between Shimano and Ritchey. Pretty much all new and ready to roll, the only way I like to sell a used bike. 95%+ Perfect in every way. one would never know it is over 10yrs old

Thank you for the in-depth explanation. It looks very very good! I need to check my Hardrock and see if they are similar to the rings on it. They are steel; I just wire brushed and painted them so now they look like new with very minimal wear, but not a bike I'm selling (a bit too beat up for sales) since I needed an mtb at my northern residence where all my old forest trails are at.

I use the same methodology as you regarding selling a bike that is as new functional and aesthetically as possible. My problem is being able to find those rare racers from the 70s and 80s that never really got ridden. I got a Trek 660 ('83-'84) that someone was getting rid off for next to nothing in great condition. Frame was too big for me, but the Campy NR group on it was too pristine for me to pass on using for other stuff so a bike I should have sold is now a frame (Reynolds 531c) I need to part with which I know I can sell at one and a half to double the cost of the bike for the frame alone if I can find a big guy who wants it. I have not tried the market place here since I hate shipping stuff (specifically bikes and frames); most of my stuff sells on CL or word of mouth from the bike club and others.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS