Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the August Giveaway to Win the SAVA Aurora V3.0 Carbon Road Bike

Identifying a Bianchi Boardwalk bicycle
Greetings--

I'm new here and and helping my neighbor, who is selling a Bianchi Boardwalk bicycle. Here is his Craigslist post:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/chicago-bianchi-bike-frame-size-185in/7756014409.html

Many thanks.
(06-19-2024, 12:44 PM)SignoreBici Wrote:  Greetings--

I'm new here and and helping my neighbor, who is selling a Bianchi Boardwalk bicycle. Here is his Craigslist post:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/chicago-bianchi-bike-frame-size-185in/7756014409.html

Many thanks.

First thing, but my experienced opinion only: drop one zero off of the asking price. No one that I know of (in their right mind) would pay much for a mass produced (Taiwan made) bike in an unmaintained condition (dirty, rusty chain). Even if the bike was in superb condition I would still have a problem with it at $500 (probably $300 to $400 on avg).
I would remove all photos of the bike in the stand, and also the photos of any decals except the head badge, Bianchi, Boardwalk, and tubing type decals (bike shop/co-op decals do give any idea as to when or if the bike was serviced; shops will often put on a decal just for adjusting the saddle; its free advertising). The "world champ" decal is used on all their bikes (no one won a world championship on a Boardwalk). Take full profile view photo of non-drive side just like the fence shot. Take photos of all components since that will provide brand, model and aesthetic condition of the parts. Clean the chain with a wire brush and lube (at this point motor oil is fine, chain probably needs to be replaced); clean cranks, chainrings and rear cluster with petrol dampened rag (many rags). Wipe frame with damp cloth using some diluted dish detergent. Show condition of tires, grips, and saddle for wear. Rear rack appears to be twisted in photo; carefully bend it straight.
All photos should be well lit and in focus (if you zoom in, details should be clear).
These recommendations are just the basics without removing any parts.
Aside from price, aesthetics are a big part of getting a decent return. Since I assume that a potential customer would like to test ride it, all parts must be functional; i.e. it easily shifts through all gears front and rear, brakes provide adequate stopping, tires/tubes hold air, wheel/crank (bottom bracket)/pedals/headset bearings spin SMOOTHLY without excessive play.
If all of that work is done (1-2 hours depending on your level of detail) then you might add on another $100 to $150 for the ASKING PRICE. If you ask me the bike would be a good sale at $200 or above, but not in its present condition. These bikes are a dime a dozen; do not use ebay as a pricing tool since most bikes are overpriced, partly due to the large percentage that ebay takes (15% or more) and sellers adding to their price to make up for those ebay fees and shipping materials and/or upgrades added to the original bike. I would not change my opinion much on it even if it did not say Bianchi; but the name (and color) alone is not worth another $1300 and those bikes are far from being collectibles.

Just being real after having ridden, worked on, and sold hundreds of bikes.
Again, my opinion only; someone else might provide a more favorable opinion.

Good luck with the sale!

PS. A bike shop would more than likely charge $150 or more for a full tune-up not including any new parts; but at least you could be reasonably assured that bike is in a properly functioning condition and you could advertise it as having had that work done (show receipts in photos); you may be to add another $100 (maybe $200, but I doubt it) to the asking price since the buyer would have some peace of mind that the bike was professionally serviced and they would not need to immediately spend the money to have it done themselves. A clean, properly functioning bike ready to roll down the road is a great selling point.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I understand that many homes in Cali can cost 5 times more than in other parts of the country however with bicycles not so much. I would like to hear his reasons for the asking price. It would be what I call restoration or refurbish condition. Not one single thing that I can see on the bike from the pics has even been wiped down yet alone anywhere close to mint condition as the asking price would reflect and even if it were it is still way off the mark of a nominal value. $60 to $100 in this condition. But good luck to your friend on the sale.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...