Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Got some tools in the mail today!
(01-24-2010, 10:53 AM)tino Wrote:  i but this spin doctor headset press for 37.99 sale and this is my home made crown race setter 11" inch long 1 1/4 pvc pipe for 1 1/8 steerer tube

Wish I had that headset tool here you sure you need that lol.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Hadn't heard of the spin doctor tool, looks solid and a great price!

And a huge thanks to everyone who's purchased tools through the affiliate links. The commissions aren't huge, but I've been saving them up on my Amazon account to order more tools for the site. I just got the TW-1 and TW-2 torque wrenches for an upcoming tutorial, and the DAG-2 and TM-1 are also on the way... all paid for by you!
That's a fine way to spend money. Its like recycling.

I watch a video, need a tool, money comes out of my pocket, goes into yours, and you buy a tool for the site to make more videos, which will make me need another tool, money comes out of my pocket, goes into yours, and you buy another tool for the site...and on and on and on...

I like it!Smile
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
Yeah me too, it's a pretty cool cycle. Next thing you know we'll all be opening bike shops to get more use out of our tools!
Grats Alex and Tino! Looks like you got a great deal. Yes it is an awesome way to keep a valuable website going. Really should not say this but I spend more time on this site then I do anywhere else lol . Bike shops definitely is getting more and more appealing Big Grin .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
My dream for the last 3 years is to open a shop, and in the next four years, I hope to have the capital to get one going. Wrenching during the season, restorations and custom frames in the winter.

Good luck to everyone.
^^ If gasoline prices keep going up, and you know they will, then I'm sure bicycles will get much more popular. It'll be another "bubble" like they had in the 70s and 80s after gasoline went from $0.30 to $1.00 per gallon.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
I agree Steve bikes will be making a come and they are easier/cheaper to maintain.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(03-07-2010, 09:02 PM)Bill Wrote:  I agree Steve bikes will be making a come and they are easier/cheaper to maintain.

I'm not to sure how much cheaper it will be man I spend to much money on my tools and my bicycle here lol but I get most of my parts from Amazon so I guess I help Alex a little :-)
This has been a good site for sure it has help me and hurt me ata the same time it makes me spend my money. But I don't care.
I was reading some retailer insider stuff, and the newest shops opening up aren't carrying any brand name bikes at all. They only offer the bikes and frames offered through the distributor, so they don't have to have a ton of inventory on hand, and it is DEFINITELY cheaper that way.

And as I just re-read Bill's post, I think he was referring to cars vs. bikes. Well, anyway, bikes are getting cheaper. A little.Big Grin
LOL.... I mean that with the rise of Fuel costs it would be cheaper to ride a bicycle lol . Yea maintaining a bicycle is less expensive then maintaining a car. My bad. Big Grin
Is there a link here that gives Alex a commission when purchasing tools from Amazon? I am planning to buy some tools and parts so I thought I would ask and help Alex keep the site going. Smile

Steve
Usually when you go to watch one of the vids certain tools pertaining to that video are listed on the right hand side.
Thanks for the support Steve!

Bill is right, those links beside the video tutorials will do the trick. I recently changed them to include eBay and JensonUSA as well, so you have more options Smile
Well I got this in the mail today. Also have the Bicycle Wheel and the The Professional Guide to
Wheel Building to get me started. Also I will be ordering the Park FFS-2 and the FAG-2 soon. But for now time to get into doing my own wheels woot!
(03-19-2010, 04:09 PM)Bill Wrote:  Well I got this in the mail today. Also have the Bicycle Wheel and the The Professional Guide to
Wheel Building to get me started. Also I will be ordering the Park FFS-2 and the FAG-2 soon. But for now time to get into doing my own wheels woot!

Bill, you must be loaded with money! Smile Wow, that is a nice tool there. I was looking around at Alex's recommended tools so I could help him out with the costs for the website but I already have the ones he listed. I bought a Park TL-10 last week and am really impressed with how well it installs tires. My thumb-bone joints do NOT like forcing a tire on a rim at all. Fortunately, I haven't been dealing with arthritis, YET. Smile

Steve
I'm all for helping Alex out, but Bill, you should be warned about the TM-1. It's a great beginner's tension meter, but it can get thrown out of whack pretty darn quick. When you start building wheels as more than just a hobby, consider upgrading. Like the FSA tension meter: http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-986-fsa-spoke-tension-gauge.aspx

I know, I know, its $225, but when people start paying you big bucks to build them an awesome wheel, you should have the right tools.

I'm lucky, my brother doesn't remember he lent me his FSA.Big Grin

*edit* Sorry - I just realized I just crapped all over your new tool.Sad Didn't mean to make it seem like it was a bad pickup.
(03-19-2010, 05:12 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  
(03-19-2010, 04:09 PM)Bill Wrote:  Well I got this in the mail today. Also have the Bicycle Wheel and the The Professional Guide to

Bill, you must be loaded with money! Smile Wow, that is a nice tool there. I was looking around at Alex's recommended tools so I could help him out with the costs for the website but I already have the ones he listed. I bought a Park TL-10 last week and am really impressed with how well it installs tires. My thumb-bone joints do NOT like forcing a tire on a rim at all. Fortunately, I haven't been dealing with arthritis, YET. Smile

Steve

Glad the TL-10 turned out to be a nice help, I know I love mine!!! No I am not loaded with money, but saw it as a worth while investment to get started until I get the math down and can do it like the pros by ear! Wink . Have alot of reading to do first. But thanks Smile
(03-19-2010, 06:30 PM)jr14 Wrote:  I'm all for helping Alex out, but Bill, you should be warned about the TM-1. It's a great beginner's tension meter, but it can get thrown out of whack pretty darn quick. When you start building wheels as more than just a hobby, consider upgrading. Like the FSA tension meter: http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-986-fsa-spoke-tension-gauge.aspx

I know, I know, its $225, but when people start paying you big bucks to build them an awesome wheel, you should have the right tools.

I'm lucky, my brother doesn't remember he lent me his FSA.Big Grin

*edit* Sorry - I just realized I just crapped all over your new tool.Sad Didn't mean to make it seem like it was a bad pickup.

It looks like it does have it's fall backs, but as you said a beginner's tool. Anything including my micrometer that has "touchy" precision I store inside put up. As I need a tool that may be needed for precise measuring I clear everything out of the way until I am done with that part of the job. As for the FSA yeah way to much for just starting out on wheel building. So the park is just fine and dandy for now lol. Appreciate the warning and I don't get upset when someone has an honest opinion about something they know better than I Wink.

So you didn't crap all over my tool. If you did you would have to clean it off.

Tongue Bill
Bill I don't think you really need that tool so could you please send it to me lol.Its not that bad of a tool my LBS use the same on all the time who knows but the FSA one is a better one so I think you need to order that one and let me have the other.:-)

Possibly Related Threads...