Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Tools for bottom bracket on 1970s Sekine
Hi folks! I was directed here by the folks over at r/bikewrench as I hear you are a helpful lot! I have a beautiful old Sekine which I think after a little research is a SHC 271 from the mid seventies. Unfortunately I was in a pretty nasty accident last year and it was out of commission for a while. I was using it indoors on my trainer and slowly going about repairs, getting it road ready again when I noticed the bottom bracket is super loose. https://imgur.com/a/vSZzAD6 (images from the reddit post)

I have never overhauled a bottom bracket before but I figure I should give it a shot especially as all the shops in my area are booked for months. I have an idea of what I need to do but the cups don't look like any others I have seen in my research. I took some up close pictures and they look like they use a hook spanner like for the lock ring but I cant find any other examples of it anywhere. Does anyone know what tool I should get for these cups?

I am getting a hook spanner and crank puller and want to get whatever other tool/wrench I will need to do the job right.

Lock Ring & Cup (Drive side Cup can be seen in Imgur post)

Lock Ring on the Cup

Possibly Related Threads...