Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Seeking recommendations
Hi everyone! I’m looking for some knowledgeable feedback, as I try to find a bike to gift my boyfriend for Christmas. He is 6’2 and 300+ pounds. He has been crushing it at spin class the last couple months. We’ve taken our children for rides on local bike paths in the past, but he doesn’t have a bike of his own. I’d love to change that, but want to make sure I find one that is suitable for him, where comfort and sturdiness are considered 😊 Please and thank you!
Consider getting him a Mongoose Grit.

Rivals the entry level local bike shop for big box price. Probably that a few times over given this is a gravel bike.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-Grit-Adventure-Road-Bike-14-speeds-700c-wheels-blue/839323802?athbdg=L1700

GT Aggressor is another great budget option.
(11-26-2021, 03:25 PM)Jaimee D Wrote:  Hi everyone! I’m looking for some knowledgeable feedback, as I try to find a bike to gift my boyfriend for Christmas. He is 6’2 and 300+ pounds. He has been crushing it at spin class the last couple months. We’ve taken our children for rides on local bike paths in the past, but he doesn’t have a bike of his own. I’d love to change that, but want to make sure I find one that is suitable for him, where comfort and sturdiness are considered 😊 Please and thank you!
Hi Jaimee,
Aside from frame fit, make sure it can handle the weight. I don't know the weight limit specs on those models listed in the previous post, although I would assume 200lbs plus. 300 pounds is getting up there a bit and wheel design may be prohibitive. If the models stated are applicable for heavier riders then give them a try. Walmart bikes aren't always bad, but assembly is key and should be done properly with everything checked on it; preferrably by someone knowledgeable; be they an experienced hobbyist or bike mechanic (preferred). At least he can take a Walmart bike out for a few rides and return it (90 days?) if it doesn't fit or is uncomfortable. It may be a good idea to try to pick one up soon since inventory on many bikes has been rather tight and this season won't make it any better. The only thing I wouldn't be too concerned about is saddle comfort (after proper adjustment/positioning) because it's a very personal issue and can be changed out for a reasonable price. Certainly have him get some decent mileage on it before considering a change of that part. Riding a spin bike and a real bike are 2 different worlds regarding fit and comfort. Good luck and happy Holidays!
One note: there are a couple threads here regarding bikes for heavy riders. I don't know the links; but if you can do a search. I believe they were for riders up near 400 lbs; probably not cheap bikes though. What was he riding as a loaner when out with the kids? That may be a good option if it is something available and in your price range.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I noticed the price on that Mongoose shot up $200 since I posted it.

At that price, I can't really say it's the value I originally did. Plus, I realize that the size might be under for someone 6'2".

GT Aggressor is still a great option. Check your local Facebook Marketplace as people are selling them often.

You would need an L frame I believe. I don't think 6'2" is quite in the range to require an XL frame—but they do have them available.
(12-02-2021, 06:17 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  I noticed the price on that Mongoose shot up $200 since I posted it.

At that price, I can't really say it's the value I originally did. Plus, I realize that the size might be under for someone 6'2".

GT Aggressor is still a great option. Check your local Facebook Marketplace as people are selling them often.

You would need an L frame I believe. I don't think 6'2" is quite in the range to require an XL frame—but they do have them available.

Mongoose spec'd it @64"-74" (5'4"-6'2"). Seems to be quite the range for one frame; "one sizes fits all". No weight limit spec'd, 32 spoke front & rear wheels (700 x 40 tires). The Mongoose site has it priced @ $300; Wallyworld @ $500 online. Quite the difference.
Take care,
Jesper

I couldn't even find that model on their website.

Mongoose Grit

At $300 it's viable. And I say that heavy-hearted since it's a 7 speed with entirely generic components.

Beyond that I would never consider it.
(12-03-2021, 01:34 AM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  I couldn't even find that model on their website.

Mongoose Grit

At $300 it's viable. And I say that heavy-hearted since it's a 7 speed with entirely generic components.

Beyond that I would never consider it.

This is where I saw it: https://mongoosebikes.net/mongoose-grit-adventure-road-bike-14-speeds-700c-wheels-blue/
I am certainly not familiar with those bikes. The only thing that was mentioned is disc brakes; probably one of the cheaper bikes with those on it even if entry level stuff. I have an old Mongoose IBOC (year ?) with a blown BB I picked up for $10; no idea if that is any good either but worth the cash regardless. I doubt I have a BB to fit it in my parts bin; all road bike stuff.
Take care,
Jesper

Many mongoose run 68mm bottom bracket shells, especially older ones.

Did you measure it already and verify it's 73mm?

Any Shimano 73mm sealed square taper or Hollowtech II 73mm will do the trick then.

I even saw some ceramic Hollowtech cups on AliExpress for cheap. Can't verify them though.
(12-04-2021, 12:35 AM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Many mongoose run 68mm bottom bracket shells, especially older ones.

Did you measure it already and verify it's 73mm?

Any Shimano 73mm sealed square taper or Hollowtech II 73mm will do the trick then.

I even saw some ceramic Hollowtech cups on AliExpress for cheap. Can't verify them though.
I had not measured it, assumed it was different than my usual fare. Pretty much picked it up if someone was interested in an older mtb, but my friends and clients are roadies so I never pursued it. If it is 68mm ISO I would have one, but still need proper spindle length. Guess I should check it out since it's in my shed just taking up space.
Take care,
Jesper

hello! so i am quite unsure on what to buy for a mountain bike for everyday use, i used to have a trinx m188 and that thing lasted well but it got stolen, so now im hesitating if i should buy an m126 elite or another m188 , and there are a lot of options that i am unable to choose off, so i would be grateful for some help or recommendations , i am 5'11 and i weigh 72 kgs if that helps

Possibly Related Threads...