Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Tube Recommendations
Looking for recommendations for super durable, high puncture resistant 700x28 tubes with schrader valve. Thanks!
Hey Joe.
Schwalbe & Continental (Race) are safe choices, reliable.
I'm curious about Tubolito tubes but they are more about rolling resistance and performance, still puncture-resistant but not as durable in my opinion.
Focus Mares AL 105
Latex tubes are in theory more puncture resistant than butyl - but you need to top up air every day. Likely not what you want.

I would probably fill some sealing compound stuff into the tube. In fact that's what I'm thinking about at the moment. I did not have too many punctures in the last decade or so. I think it depends on the tyre more than the tube.
Tyres I can recommend (had only a few punctures, and then it was like 10mm long metal shards from an exploded truck tyre etc.) : Conti GP4000s they go up to 29mm I think. The mid range Conti diamond pattern cx tyres (speed King?) seem to work equally well (though I have less km on those so far). I have no need for aggressive tread patterns as I'm mostly riding on roads, paved paths, and compacted sand / gravel forest paths.

In the end it is a tradeoff between speed and puncture resistance. If I have a puncture twice a year on a daily commute (last job... ) I'm OK with that. And the GP4000s are usually tested as a pretty fast and quite sturdy road tyre.
(06-07-2020, 03:01 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Latex tubes are in theory more puncture resistant than butyl - but you need to top up air every day. Likely not what you want.

+1
Latex tube isn't the best fit in this situation.
"Carbon is faster"
[quote='Henry_G' pid='38564' dateline='1591435544']
...curious about Tubolito tubes but they are more about rolling resistance...[quote]

Hi Henry,

Call me ignorant (I am on most things), but I can't wrap my brain around a tube affecting "rolling resistance" since it conforms to the tire shape and does not (one would hope) contact the road surface. Please educate me on this as I am somewhat perplexed.

Thanks,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(06-13-2020, 11:39 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Hi Henry,

Call me ignorant (I am on most things), but I can't wrap my brain around a tube affecting "rolling resistance" since it conforms to the tire shape and does not (one would hoow. pe) contact the road surface. Please educate me on this as I am somewhat perplexed.

Thanks,
Jesper

Wow, I should double-check before posting something. Thank you for noticing this @Jesper ! I must have thought about tubes and tires at the same time. Tubolitos are about weight saving and performance (for those who compete) since they can save more than 100g on two wheels.
Focus Mares AL 105

Possibly Related Threads...