Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Question about Leg Shaving
So as a newbie, i think the best way to blend in quickly is by Shaving my legs to give me a pro-like identity.

The follow-up question would be relating to the long-term commitment issues of shaving.

So to those of you who SHAVES, is shaving a long-term thing once you started? Shaving repeatedly sounds like an annoying thing to me.

And would you be open to methods that could lead to permanent hair reduction (e.g. laser)?

Much appreciated to yours responses.
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to look like a pro, when I'm clearly not. Even if I dress the part, a real pro would know, and think I am one of those know-it-alls, and wouldn't share or point out my obvious [to him or her] mistakes.
I'd rather look like what I am, and take the chance that a pro passes me and thinks "oooh, look at the newbie". Even if they never give me a wave, at least they'd laugh less. Don't be afraid to look like who you are. - unless you're in a bad neighborhood - then you want to look like the terminator.

My real bike is a trek, but I ride on a fat tire fold-up. I don't care what people think. I also have a new electronic Juki, but I travel with a 1930's model sewing machine, that i modified into a hand crank.
Don't let the "equipment snobs" spoil your fun!
(07-15-2021, 11:58 PM)Paul Smit Wrote:  So as a newbie, i think the best way to blend in quickly is by Shaving my legs to give me a pro-like identity.

The follow-up question would be relating to the long-term commitment issues of shaving.

So to those of you who SHAVES, is shaving a long-term thing once you started? Shaving repeatedly sounds like an annoying thing to me.

And would you be open to methods that could lead to permanent hair reduction (e.g. laser)?

Much appreciated to yours responses.

Unless you are competing on a high level there will be no real advantage gained in shaving legs (and/or arms, you didn't mention hairy arms); I don't think you'd be blending in very much unless you are also of the same or higher caliber as those you would be riding with or against. I also don't think a true pro would care if you were shaved clean or hairy like bigfoot if you could ride at their level. I'd be asking women how they feel about leg shaving since they are doing it often, but generally not for any competitive advantage in regards to cycling or other sports.
As to long term; that's up to you because it keeps growing until you die. I would pray for "leg baldness"; cheap and easy (joking!).
Regarding laser treatment or electrolysis; again personal choices if it's important to you, but from someone who works in the medical community I would personally avoid those; permanence it not necessarily guaranteed, although electrolysis is supposed to be permanent; laser is not (remember, lasers are also used to induce hair growth). You would be able to afford a better bike/equipment that would give you a much greater advantage in the long run considering the expense (and time) involved.

(07-18-2021, 11:04 AM)PrettyCurious Wrote:  Just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to look like a pro, when I'm clearly not. Even if I dress the part, a real pro would know, and think I am one of those know-it-alls, and wouldn't share or point out my obvious [to him or her] mistakes.
I'd rather look like what I am, and take the chance that a pro passes me and thinks "oooh, look at the newbie". Even if they never give me a wave, at least they'd laugh less. Don't be afraid to look like who you are. - unless you're in a bad neighborhood - then you want to look like the terminator.

My real bike is a trek, but I ride on a fat tire fold-up. I don't care what people think. I also have a new electronic Juki, but I travel with a 1930's model sewing machine, that i modified into a hand crank.
Don't let the "equipment snobs" spoil your fun!

Hear, Hear! I agree, better to be yourself than to appear to be a poser. When I was at pro level condition I never shaved anything except the face and that was due to job requirements and was not a personal choice. I never even liked wearing cycling jerseys, never competed with one on (didn't even own one back then, put all my $ into my bike except: shoes (performance), helmet (safety), and shorts (comfort). I never looked like a high level cyclist, and possibly that was to my advantage since I believe others underestimated me with my long hair (seemingly rare back in the days/80s) flying behind me, and riding a bike 10-15 years older than most other's bikes (a bike I still ride after 35 years on it). I would like to have seen some expressions as I passed many late in a race. I remember a couple of guys drafting on me and then passing me early only to see my back again before the finish. One came up to me after the race and stated straight out that he didn't think I was a threat due to my "thrift shop" look and equipment; said he'd never make that mistake again. Even now riding the trails and seeing some teams training I get compliments for being able to keep pace (for a little bit, they are half my age) without having the ultralight carbon frames and modern high end equipment. Just be you, and if you is shaved legs go for it; I wouldn't notice or care since I don't look at guys legs; but the gals, that's a different story.
If want a little reference check out the acronym "MAMIL". I had no idea what it was until I researched it. It stands for "Middle Aged Men In Lycra". Essentially, family guys my age (gasp!) who have bought and keep buying expensive bikes, bike gear, and all the other paraphernalia you don't need to go cycling just to do group rides around the neighborhood and then afterwards stop at the local café or pub to discuss the next new bike they are buying, or the trip to France to climb a TDF peak. The comments from their wives are precious; surprised they are not divorced since some wives had given that very ultimatum if their hubby didn't stop the nonsense and the spending. This is a prime reason there are so many high end bikes and equipment on the market; it's hard to take up a sport in your 50s and keep it up for very long unless you've gotten in shape, and don't get or already have injuries. The day you see me on a new carbon frame is the day you can bury me, 'cause if I looked out of place on a steel bike in the 80s and 90s, than I would look like vagabond hermit thief on a CF frame bike. Kill me first! My helmet is my only concession to modern equipment; I do like my brain intact! One weird thing is that people say I look the part on my 80's lo-pro; probably because the bike outclasses me in the weird look department.

I will say that I wear some old cycling jerseys now, and I feel like a fool doing it because I am so slow compared to what I was; but it has nothing to do with competition just trying to cut through the constant wind I seem to always hit when riding/commuting for long distances. Even then, I doubt I gain very much by doing so; probably more psychological than anything.

Show your us your 30's sewing machine, sounds interesting.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I had a serious concussion from a 1st generation carbon fork failure 12 years ago. I was totally out of it for 2 years until a cop friend got me to Stanford where a Professor of Neurology prescribed the proper medication. When I became cognizant of what was around me, I noticed that the hair on my legs had grown so long that I had to tuck it into my socks. So I shaved it off.

There were two advantages there -

1. Although you wouldn't think so it is a HELL of a lot of drag and shaving it off greatly reduced the power you need to travel at speed.

2. Also EVERYONE falls down sooner or later and the lack of hair makes cleaning and bandaging road rash a hell of a lot easier.

Pro's don't do this to look good. They do it for practical reasons.
I hate shaving my face. Can't imagine legs. Insignificant marginal gains do not matter to me at 77.
(01-16-2022, 05:35 PM)Evan J Green Wrote:  I hate shaving my face. Can't imagine legs. Insignificant marginal gains do not matter to me at 77.

I agree; the pros do it for a reason. Those reasons don't matter if you're not riding for glory and/or cash. My helmet gives me more a aerodynamic advantage over clean shaven legs!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS