Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Thruster® Retrogade Giveaway coming soon: 5/7

(sorta kinda) NBD Genesis CdF 20
Got this (lightly used) Genesis Croix de Fer 20 a couple of months ago and have been slowly assembling upgrades and bikepacking bits.

Fitted a Brooks B17 today and gave it a shakedown run. I know, I know, the saddle bag is fugly. I just use it to easily move my day-ride toolkit between four bikes.

Things I've added since getting it: Halo Droveline wheels & new TRP brake rotors, 43mm Panaracers, Ass Savers Win Wing rear fender, Magene speed and cadence sensors, Garmin out-front mount, Altura Vortex frame bag, Restrap bolt-on TT bag.

I'm loving how these big tires sneer at bumps and potholes!

nice looking ride, is that brooks new or used? how do you like the brooks?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(04-27-2024, 10:37 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  nice looking ride, is that brooks new or used? how do you like the brooks?

Thanks!

It's a like-new Brooks. Still 'learning' the ways of The Brooks, LOL. Generally, I'll happily ride almost any saddle, in jeans even, so I'm hoping that once I arrive at my desired saddle position and have broken it in a bit, it'll let me cruise for long distances in 'extreme' comfort.

At the moment, it's not quite as comfortable as the crappy stock saddle I removed. Also, I'm not sure how much I like the slipperiness of the leather. It's possible that my riding position is too leaned over for this Brooks.

I'm coming up to a year of running a 168g CF saddle with 3D-printed padding on my CF road bike. Seriously considering testing that on this Genesis, LOL.

Why not, I like trying new products, especially if it is easy on the pocket
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(04-28-2024, 09:58 AM)enkei Wrote:  
(04-27-2024, 10:37 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  nice looking ride, is that brooks new or used? how do you like the brooks?

Thanks!

It's a like-new Brooks. Still 'learning' the ways of The Brooks, LOL. Generally, I'll happily ride almost any saddle, in jeans even, so I'm hoping that once I arrive at my desired saddle position and have broken it in a bit, it'll let me cruise for long distances in 'extreme' comfort.

At the moment, it's not quite as comfortable as the crappy stock saddle I removed. Also, I'm not sure how much I like the slipperiness of the leather. It's possible that my riding position is too leaned over for this Brooks.

I'm coming up to a year of running a 168g CF saddle with 3D-printed padding on my CF road bike. Seriously considering testing that on this Genesis, LOL.

Regarding the Brooks saddle, there are a few things you can do to help it break-in, although riding on in it is the best method. I really don't like new Brooks, or "nearly new" saddles that have not been broken in just a little bit since at 140 lbs, and riding various bikes I do not get enough time on a specific saddle and thus it takes a long time to fully break-in a newer saddle. Another reason new saddles are a pain is what you have already discovered. Because your butt is not really sinking into the saddle very much at this point you will slide around more than once it is broken-in. Using some leather treatment (Brooks brand, or others) on both sides (top and bottom) helps at the start. I do not use very much treatment on areas other than where you sit in order to keep the skirts and nose stiffer. I use only as a preservative in those non-riding areas. Because I am fairly light I have taken some dumbbells (I used 50 lb) and let one end of each dumbbell set where your butt bones would be. It only will be approx. half the weight (in my case 25 lbs) resting on each spot so you can determine how much weight you want to apply depending on the dumbbell you use (I think 25 lbs per butt bone is as much as I would ever use, but usimg too little will not have any effect either). I kept the saddle on the bike since it seemed best both for retaining the saddle and also having it set-up as it would be when ridden. I did not do this to actually make it break-in while not riding, but instead I did it to keep the leather from "shrinking" back when no weight was on it since it might be daus before I ride that same bike. I also keep the side skirts strapped with a piece of velcro (to keep them from spreading). It will not damage the saddle and you only need to put some padding under the weight (I used corrugated cardboard directly under the weight, folded terrycloth towel, and if needed some foam) to distribute the force and prevent the weight from "denting" the leather (you want it butt shaped not weight shaped!).
I actually use T & B (e.g. Ideale) saddles more than Brooks. I put Brooks on bikes to sell them since that's what many people think should be on a classic bike; but costs are becoming prohibitive. I think the T & B leather is a little thinner and has more give for someone of my weight; although I would put Brooks as more durable given the thicker cover. Most of the Brooks wannabees used thinner leather (some with a "support" layer) and they are all more comfortable (in my opinion) because of it; but they also rip through at the rivets more often. You can also preempt the skirts from spreading by lacing them now instead of later (punch holes about 1/8" farther up skirt than you normally see to prevent tearing through later on, and/or use grommets).

Oh, and by the way Nice bike!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Brooks B17 saddle is a classic choice for long-distance comfort where do you plan on taking this bike? especially with the frame bag, long trip ahead?
(04-29-2024, 10:34 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  Why not, I like trying new products, especially if it is easy on the pocket

I already use it on my road bike, so I have a good idea of how comfy it is.

(04-29-2024, 02:12 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(04-28-2024, 09:58 AM)enkei Wrote:  

Thanks!

Regarding the Brooks saddle, there are a few things you can do to help it break-in, although riding on in it is the best method. I really don't like new Brooks, or "nearly new" saddles that have not been broken in just a little bit since at 140 lbs, and riding various bikes I do not get enough time on a specific saddle and thus it takes a long time to fully break-in a newer saddle. Another reason new saddles are a pain is what you have already discovered. Because your butt is not really sinking into the saddle very much at this point you will slide around more than once it is broken-in. Using some leather treatment (Brooks brand, or others) on both sides (top and bottom) helps at the start. I do not use very much treatment on areas other than where you sit in order to keep the skirts and nose stiffer. I use only as a preservative in those non-riding areas. Because I am fairly light I have taken some dumbbells (I used 50 lb) and let one end of each dumbbell set where your butt bones would be. It only will be approx. half the weight (in my case 25 lbs) resting on each spot so you can determine how much weight you want to apply depending on the dumbbell you use (I think 25 lbs per butt bone is as much as I would ever use, but usimg too little will not have any effect either). I kept the saddle on the bike since it seemed best both for retaining the saddle and also having it set-up as it would be when ridden. I did not do this to actually make it break-in while not riding, but instead I did it to keep the leather from "shrinking" back when no weight was on it since it might be daus before I ride that same bike. I also keep the side skirts strapped with a piece of velcro (to keep them from spreading). It will not damage the saddle and you only need to put some padding under the weight (I used corrugated cardboard directly under the weight, folded terrycloth towel, and if needed some foam) to distribute the force and prevent the weight from "denting" the leather (you want it butt shaped not weight shaped!).
I actually use T & B (e.g. Ideale) saddles more than Brooks. I put Brooks on bikes to sell them since that's what many people think should be on a classic bike; but costs are becoming prohibitive. I think the T & B leather is a little thinner and has more give for someone of my weight; although I would put Brooks as more durable given the thicker cover. Most of the Brooks wannabees used thinner leather (some with a "support" layer) and they are all more comfortable (in my opinion) because of it; but they also rip through at the rivets more often. You can also preempt the skirts from spreading by lacing them now instead of later (punch holes about 1/8" farther up skirt than you normally see to prevent tearing through later on, and/or use grommets).

Oh, and by the way Nice bike!

Thanks, Jesper!

Not much chance of me being "too light" for the saddle, LOL.

I've already started treating it with Brooks Proofide. I suspected that the sliding about should stop once it's broken in. Thanks for confirming that.

(04-30-2024, 01:05 PM)Talha Wrote:  Brooks B17 saddle is a classic choice for long-distance comfort where do you plan on taking this bike? especially with the frame bag, long trip ahead?

The ultimate aim is weeks'-long trips, both in the UK and on the European Continent. I'm only about an hour's ride from the ferry port in Dover, so France is arguably more convenient for me than most of Britain...
Okay, removed the saddle bag, replacing it with the Garmin Varia radar, so it looks a lot cleaner now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-31-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: enkei