Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

$10,000?
I belong to another thread and someone posted a concern with a flaw on a new e-bike they purchased.

The bike cost the purchaser $10,000.00!!!

I know everyone’s budget is different but even if I were in a position where money was no object, I don’t see myself spending anywhere CLOSE to 5 figures for an electric bike!!

Yes, yes, I know all the to each his own sentiments but $10,000.00 for an electric bicycle?!?!?
(04-20-2024, 09:49 AM)leehop Wrote:  I belong to another thread and someone posted a concern with a flaw on a new e-bike they purchased.

The bike cost the purchaser $10,000.00!!!

I know everyone’s budget is different but even if I were in a position where money was no object, I don’t see myself spending anywhere CLOSE to 5 figures for an electric bike!!

Yes, yes, I know all the to each his own sentiments but $10,000.00 for an electric bicycle?!?!?

That's nothing; pro race bikes cost the same and more; and there are no motors on those bikes.
Many e-bikes are becoming more like e-motorcycles. The lightweight e-bikes are all well over $5000, but again people are buying human powered bikes for far more. When I see a $500 single speed coaster brake beach cruiser it comes as no surprise that bikes are now commonly up near $10000. It is a high profit industry if you are working at the right level in that "food chain".
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
The top -pec builds of e-MTBs like the Cannondale Moterra SL and Specialized Turbo Levo cost much more than $10,000.

Whether anyone who isn't racing at the top of World Championships level actually needs one of those is a different question altogether, LOL.
(04-21-2024, 07:31 AM)enkei Wrote:  Whether anyone who isn't racing at the top of World Championships level actually needs one of those is a different question altogether, LOL.
Please tell me that there is not a World Championship for e-mtb's; just another form of motocross (quieter anyways!).
Take care,
Jesper

I agree with you. A few friends have such expensive bikes and they aren't racing in any of the top-level championships. So, I always wondered why they bought that expensive bikes/gears, etc. I never asked them but am happy I am not the only who thinks like that...:-)

(04-21-2024, 07:31 AM)enkei Wrote:  The top -pec builds of e-MTBs like the Cannondale Moterra SL and Specialized Turbo Levo cost much more than $10,000.

Whether anyone who isn't racing at the top of World Championships level actually needs one of those is a different question altogether, LOL.
What makes a $10,000 e-bike worth it? Or how much would you need to ride it to make it worth that to you? Is it your daily driver? Do you actually have a car?
I think having a belt drive and Pinion gearbox would be pretty worthwhile because you wouldn't need to do as much maintenance. On the other hand, how much of that $10k is just for the brand name?
(04-21-2024, 08:02 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Please tell me that there is not a World Championship for e-mtb's; just another form of motocross (quiter anyways!).

There sure is! It's not exactly another form of motocross. They don't have throttles, so riders still have to pedal, they just go faster/farther for the same effort.

(04-26-2024, 09:25 AM)Amanda_W Wrote:  What makes a $10,000 e-bike worth it? Or how much would you need to ride it to make it worth that to you? Is it your daily driver? Do you actually have a car?
I think having a belt drive and Pinion gearbox would be pretty worthwhile because you wouldn't need to do as much maintenance. On the other hand, how much of that $10k is just for the brand name?

I totally agree with you regarding belt drive and Pinion gearbox.

Given how much top MTBs without motors cost, one might see a $10k e-MTB as a bit of a bargain, given that between the frame, suspension and wheels, you would already have something like $8k worth of bike.

But yeah, for anyone other than top world-class competitors, the value proposition has to be questionable.

On the other hand, a friend's brother buys a nice, super-expensive MTB about every 1-2 years, rides it for a year or so and then usually sells it at close to what he paid for it, even sometimes making a profit. Seems like the gravity-fed MTB hobby can be worth it in Germany. Go figure!
(04-26-2024, 08:03 PM)enkei Wrote:  
(04-21-2024, 08:02 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Please tell me that there is not a World Championship for e-mtb's; just another form of motocross (quiter anyways!).

There sure is! It's not exactly another form of motocross. They don't have throttles, so riders still have to pedal, they just go faster/farther for the same effort.

I do believe that I will NOT be participating or watching that event. Is there are road e-bike race also? I can just see it now at the retirement center: "Sunday brunch followed with shuttle board and e-bike racing!"
Take care,
Jesper

(04-26-2024, 08:14 PM)Jesper Wrote:  I do believe that I will NOT be participating or watching that event. Is there are road e-bike race also? I can just see it now at the retirement center: "Sunday brunch followed with shuttle board and e-bike racing!"

LOL. It's not quite electric fat-tire cruiser racing. To win, you still need superior fitness and riding skill.
(04-28-2024, 10:02 AM)enkei Wrote:  
(04-26-2024, 08:14 PM)Jesper Wrote:  I do believe that I will NOT be participating or watching that event. Is there are road e-bike race also? I can just see it now at the retirement center: "Sunday brunch followed with shuttle board and e-bike racing!"

LOL. It's not quite electric fat-tire cruiser racing. To win, you still need superior fitness and riding skill.

I know; I do not mean to demean the sport, as I am sure they could all outperform me on a regular bike. I do not watch any motorized "sports", but I had already assumed that all disciplines relating to bike racing would, to a lesser or greater degree, be mimmicked by e-bikes.
I am well aware of Formula E racing, and E-drag racing so it is just a natural evolution to take a technology and expand it well beyond its meaningful benefit to become another entertainment money making bonanza at the expense of those who would benefit most from the wasteful use of our resources (allow me to be cynical); but it will increase the costs of lithium in the near future, both in procurement and disposal.
Take care,
Jesper

I'm scared enough to mountain bike WITHOUT a motor roflol, I can't imagine adding more speed to it.
I really like to keep my wheels touching the ground Big Grin
Can you share the model and make? Really curious
(04-30-2024, 01:06 PM)Talha Wrote:  Can you share the model and make? Really curious

Sure!