Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Cycling in the Wind
The weather is finally warming up where I live, but we're still having lots of windy days. I find that riding when its really windy wears me out much faster than on calmer days - can anyone relate? Is it my state of mind or is it really that much more work?

I was also wondering if different bikes handle the wind better? Say an aerobike verses a gravel bike with slicks? What are your thoughts?
I can understand the exhaustion caused by the wind. Riding upwind in strong winds drains my energy, although not as much as riding uphill does. I make a conscious effort to pace myself during windy rides and stay positive. I believe that riding against the wind is akin to riding uphill, knowing that it will be easier on the return journey with the wind at my back.
I will be honest when I say I never understood or felt the effect the direction of the wind had on my rides. My friends always wished, "May the wind be behind you." Some even mentioned how they faced headwinds, but sadly/interestingly, I rarely faced the wrath of the wind gods.

I ride long distances and not for speed. So, I am a slow rider, and that's why I rarely felt the wind's effect. Many a times I have officially finished last during organized century rides. Now, I tour on a fat bike, so probably feel wind less..

(04-15-2024, 10:52 PM)TrailJoe Wrote:  I can understand the exhaustion caused by the wind. Riding upwind in strong winds drains my energy, although not as much as riding uphill does. I make a conscious effort to pace myself during windy rides and stay positive. I believe that riding against the wind is akin to riding uphill, knowing that it will be easier on the return journey with the wind at my back.
I live by the sea so wind is always being a jerk. It's not unusual for me to deal with gusts of 40-50+mph while cycling.

Did a 20-mile ride today, including several laps of my local bike track. Constant 14mph wind. What a jerk!

If you use a Garmin head unit, check out the Windfield ConnectIQ app!
Aero bikes definitely do, but one thing I always recommend is an oval chainring.

It helps with against the wind riding, as well as climbing, and maintaining cadence.

Snail has double chainrings for road now as well for a fraction of the cost that the big brands charge.
(04-17-2024, 11:21 AM)GirishH Wrote:  I will be honest when I say I never understood or felt the effect the direction of the wind had on my rides. My friends always wished, "May the wind be behind you." Some even mentioned how they faced headwinds, but sadly/interestingly, I rarely faced the wrath of the wind gods.

I ride long distances and not for speed. So, I am a slow rider, and that's why I rarely felt the wind's effect. Many a times I have officially finished last during organized century rides. Now, I tour on a fat bike, so probably feel wind less..

(04-15-2024, 10:52 PM)TrailJoe Wrote:  I can understand the exhaustion caused by the wind. Riding upwind in strong winds drains my energy, although not as much as riding uphill does. I make a conscious effort to pace myself during windy rides and stay positive. I believe that riding against the wind is akin to riding uphill, knowing that it will be easier on the return journey with the wind at my back.

Do you find the fat bike is slower than other bikes? I was thinking about getting an entry level fat bike just for fun, but I don't know how much I would ride it. In my head, I think it would be a lot slower with the huge tires, but then again, that would be a good workout! Much like riding into a headwind....

The other day it was so windy I almost got knocked sideways into the - or at least it felt that way haha!
You're definitely going to get much more rolling resistance from the fat tires.

This is why they utilize smaller chainrings up front to help keep the proportions in balance.

You should certainly get a good workout from that, and you should enjoy the extra comfort you experience rolling over bumps, cracks, uneven sidewalk, and other obstacles on the ground.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-18-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Aab

12-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DaveM