Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

11-42 cogs on Road bike?
Hi all. Been using my Giant SCR 2020 model for an almost 1 year.

My current set up is equipped with Shimano 105 R7000 (50-34 & 11-30)

I'm planning to upgrade my cassette to 11-42 ratio with the use of wolf tooth roadlink DM.

I've been riding flats and climbs, 250km - 300km a day (long ride) And now I'm challenged to climb steep mountains here in my father's place.

Any thoughts on this?

Will also use this thread to inquire about bike rack? Any suggestions? My car is Ford Super duty (pick up truck). This is https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/vkb3z-9955100-e.html so far I only prospeted. Yakima and Thule is a good brand right? - if you have any other suggestions, the would be great.

Thank you all! Hoping for your help.
(01-20-2021, 02:04 AM)SolutionX Wrote:  Hi all. Been using my Giant SCR 2020 model for an almost 1 year.

My current set up is equipped with Shimano 105 R7000 (50-34 & 11-30)

I'm planning to upgrade my cassette to 11-42 ratio with the use of wolf tooth roadlink DM.

I've been riding flats and climbs, 250km - 300km a day (long ride) And now I'm challenged to climb steep mountains here in my father's place.

Any thoughts on this?

Will also use this thread to inquire about bike rack? Any suggestions? My car is Ford Super duty (pick up truck). This is https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/vkb3z-9955100-e.html so far I only prospeted. Yakima and Thule is a good brand right? - if you have any other suggestions, the would be great.

Thank you all! Hoping for your help.
As far as a rack system goes, having a pickup gives you many options: over the bed, in the bed, hitch receiver mount, and even a rooftop mount. If you have a shell, an in bed system affords you protection from the elements and security. I have both a pickup and a car. On the pickup, I have a Pace Edwards retractable tonneau cover which accommodates Thule footings for a crossbar setup.This allows access to the bed while transporting bikes (perfect when we go camping). On my Subaru, I LOVE my receiver hitch mount Kuat rack. My wife has a Thule hitch mount system, but her rattles a bit. Mine also has an integrated bike work stand built in, for last minute chain lubing, etc. For a receiver mount system, I think Kuat is the best, though more expensive. Thule and Yakima are comparable in quality and pretty close in price last time I looked.
Hope this helps!

JJD
(01-20-2021, 02:04 AM)SolutionX Wrote:  My current set up is equipped with Shimano 105 R7000 (50-34 & 11-30)
Any thoughts on this?

Have you tried doing mountain climbs with your present set-up? I am not familiar with your bike; are you loaded with racks for touring, etc.? I do not know what type of grades you will be climbing, but I can still crank up my mountain using a 39T front and 28T rear on 40 year old steel frame. Only bikes I have with >30T rear cogs are touring bikes at 32T and 34T max on the rear. Of course, at my age I have no pride and if necessary get off and walk it uphill when required; last 3 climbs up the mountain: 2 successful, 1 failure. The failure was trying a 42T front and 26T rear max cog size.

I cannot help you with car/truck rack info since I transport the bike in the car to avoid all the road grit that eventually builds up and gets into the "workings". I do like the truck bed design where the fork is clamped onto the rack with the QR, just like my old wind trainer; but I would still wrap/cover the bike to avoid all the grit.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
hello @SolutionX ! how did your 11-42 cassette conversion plan work out? 32t is the most I can imagine on a road bike Wink

Possibly Related Threads...