Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Help in choosing the road bike.
Hello everyone. I want to get a road bike, but I don't know which one to choose. I selected 6 options that look good at first glance, but I need an advice from people who understand this better than me.

Scott Speedster 50 2022

Trek Domane AL 2

CUBE NUROAD DEEPTEAL

Marin Gestalt 2022

Cube Attain

Fuji Sportif 2.3

Thank you!
Hi and welcome!

What is your age, level of fitness, and cycling experience?

I am increasingly of the opinion that most of us should be extra careful when looking for a 'road' bike. Where I live, the road surface is generally so poor that a 'proper' road bike makes little sense. I'm actually shopping for a gravel/bikepacking bike because I want the extra comfort of more relaxed geometry and bigger tires, as well as the option to do some bike packing.

Have you spoken to local bike stores about your wants/needs?

Apologies if you have a lot of cycling experience but the list you've proposed looks like entry level bikes so I'm assuming you're relatively inexperienced.

Have you had a professional bike fit? Getting the right size of bike and setting it up properly for you is vitally important.
I agree with what @enkei stated. Do not get too hung up on name brands since most are very similar and probably the frames were made in Asia (i.e. Taiwan) even though they are designed and often assembled elsewhere. Most bikes of a certain price and above are of decent quality and are not going to fall apart on you.
If you are planning on strictly cycling paved roadways then a "road" bike (specifically racing and touring types) can be a good choice, but there are many geometries out there that overlap into the gravel, hybrid range. Do you plan on primarily cycling certain disciplines like racing, touring, bikepacking, randonneur, sportive/gran fondo, cyclocross, commuting, etc.?
You can always get a gravel or hybrid style bike and have either a spare set of wider or narrower tires depending on the course(s) you plan to ride, or even have a spare wheelset that uses different gearing.
There are getting to be so many options out there that it is impossible to really recommend a specific bike to someone. You either need to have previous experience on a certain style bike or start doing test rides on those that you are interested in.

As previously stated it is necessary to be properly fit for your size so that your test rides will give you a proper indication of how comfortable you will be. It does not matter if the bike is entry level or pro level if you are test riding a bike not your size and not set up for your style of riding and posture. Also, a saddle which is not conducive to your riding style and body can make a great bike feel uncomfortable, where as a saddle that fits you properly can make a lesser bike seem like a great ride. If you find a bike you generally like, but comfort is an issue either have the bike (saddle, handlebar, stem, etc.) adjusted and retest it, or try a different saddle. Also, if possible test ride with different tires and/or test with tires at different pressures. There are many factors that can make or break your opinion of a bike so try as many variations on one specific frame to get the best idea of how the bike actually feels, and then try to duplicate that set-up on other bikes during testing. Do not base your opinion on test rides that are significantly shorter in distance, duration, and topography (flat, hilly) than what you expect to normally ride since a quick and short test will not give you a realistic indication of the bike's comfort on a real ride unless you plan only on using it for very short distances/durations. Generally testing for an hour or more (20 miles plus) will be adequate, but more is better.
You might want to find a decent used bike in your style and size just to get some experience (if you have little or none) under your belt. It will be a lot cheaper and you may find the perfect bike, or something that can be modified/upgraded before throwing a bunch of money down on a new bike. You can then make a more educated decision when ready to buy a new bike that specifically serves your needs and either keep the old bike or sell it to help defray the cost of a new bike.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(06-08-2023, 06:56 AM)Jesper Wrote:  You might want to find a decent used bike in your style and size just to get some experience (if you have little or none) under your belt. It will be a lot cheaper and you may find the perfect bike, or something that can be modified/upgraded before throwing a bunch of money down on a new bike. You can then make a more educated decision when ready to buy a new bike that specifically serves your needs and either keep the old bike or sell it to help defray the cost of a new bike.

This is outstanding advice!
(06-09-2023, 04:16 AM)enkei Wrote:  
(06-08-2023, 06:56 AM)Jesper Wrote:  You might want to find a decent used bike in your style and size just to get some experience (if you have little or none) under your belt. It will be a lot cheaper and you may find the perfect bike, or something that can be modified/upgraded before throwing a bunch of money down on a new bike. You can then make a more educated decision when ready to buy a new bike that specifically serves your needs and either keep the old bike or sell it to help defray the cost of a new bike.

This is outstanding advice!

I have not bought a brand new bike since 1985. Since that time I have always been able to find excellent bikes (primarily mid to pro level road bikes) in excellent condition at a fraction of their new price, and even with doing some minor servicing and parts replacement for personal preferences (saddles, bars, tires, etc.) the bike's total costs have never come close to what a new bike would cost would be.
Now having Craigslist in the US and similar sites abroad (I also use Italy's "Subito" site) it is fairly easy, if you are patient, to find a great ride at a reasonable cost to start cycling on decent equipment before you start spending money on new bikes.
I realize that folks want to get something new, but all to often that new bike barely gets used (lucky for me!) in any real sense. Sometimes due to the fact that the wrong style bike was purchased, or worse yet the wrong size. I am lucky in that I can ride, and still do, a vast range of frame sizes well above and below my optimum size (52cm) because my flexibility is able to handle it, but those days are getting shorter. I just purchased another lo-pro bike ('87 Nishiki Linear) because the frame (same exact bike) I previously had was larger. I found a smaller frame (odd, but they only came in 52, 58, and 62cm sizes) since my back was not happy with the reach (even with a very short stem) after about an hours worth of riding the big frame; but I sold it and now I have the small frame to enjoy some time trialing on again without the after ride soreness. At 60 yrs old I should not complain regardless, just happy to be able to get out on the old English 3 speeds for some relaxing fun!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...