Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Hercules road bike
Hi, I have been browsing through our local marketplace in search of a city commuter. Preferably 80s to 00s road bike with basic components. Found this one for a good price, but not sure what to think about the frame quality and Hercules as a brand. The post doesn't have much info on specifications (only something about SR), but I will ask for more.

@Jesper, perhaps you have heard of these bikes? Could it be a product of British Hercules or simply the name of a bike model? This is the only image so far:

p.s.
Looks like a large frame, but anything around 58-59-60cm is alright.
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(06-08-2023, 06:23 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Hi, I have been browsing through our local marketplace in search of a city commuter. Preferably 80s to 00s road bike with basic components. Found this one for a good price, but not sure what to think about the frame quality and Hercules as a brand. The post doesn't have much info on specifications (only something about SR), but I will ask for more.

@Jesper, perhaps you have heard of these bikes? Could it be a product of British Hercules or simply the name of a bike model? This is the only image so far:

p.s.

It is a Hercules brand (more than likely of English make; not Indian), but I am not familiar when the change of decal font on later bikes occurred, or if there was a different logo design for Indian made bikes. I think Hercules still existed in name until the late '90s-'00s, but not sure if they were actually producing bikes under that brand. The company was owned by TI in 1960 with Raleigh essentially running the business and standardizing all the older British brands to their specs so it may be very close to a Raleigh branded model of the early-mid '80s (my estimate on its year, definitely 80s decals). I cannot tell what components are on it, but the rear derailleur is probably Sun Tour ("V"?). That bike appears to have a fairly steep head angle, but I assume it is more of a a touring design than racing given the overall wheelbase, and if original, rear cluster. It should handle well as a commuter, but may feel a bit unstable on really fast descents. That handlebar has a pretty healthy drop to it for a touring or commuter bike; it may not be original. The decals and paint seem original so the head badge or other decals, if still intact, might have the country/city of origin. My "Herc" is a '54 roadster so not really any way to compare them.
It looks a little similar to an early to mid '80s Raleigh Marathon (presumed) I have; bash guard on the front rings anyways and possibly the same drivetrain, but significantly different geometry (mine has a longer wheelbase and slacker head angle; also mine has Raleigh "502" tubing and not higher quality Reynolds 531 tubing like that frame).
If being sold in the US it would go for about $100-$150 USD (120-170 euros) low end, and up to $175-$200 on a good day if everything is in proper working order with good tires on it. The "531" frame and components may add some value to it above the $200 range, but I cannot judge from the photo. With it having a "531" frame I would assume it is a step up from entry level, probably mid level depending on component level.
Looks a bit taller than 60cm; maybe around 62 c-c seat tube. If it fits it should make a nice commuter and you probably have adequate space to use wider tires if desired (maybe up to 32mm). My commuter/hybrid/gravel fits 30mm tires on a 1986 Reynolds 501 sport frame.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(06-08-2023, 10:15 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(06-08-2023, 06:23 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Hi, I have been browsing through our local marketplace in search of a city commuter. Preferably 80s to 00s road bike with basic components. Found this one for a good price, but not sure what to think about the frame quality and Hercules as a brand. The post doesn't have much info on specifications (only something about SR), but I will ask for more.

p.s.

It is a Hercules brand (more than likely of English make; not Indian), but I am not familiar when the change of decal font on later bikes occurred, or if there was a different logo design for Indian made bikes. I think Hercules still existed in name until the late '90s-'00s, but not sure if they were actually producing bikes under that brand. The company was owned by TI in 1960 with Raleigh essentially running the business and standardizing all the older British brands to their specs so it may be very close to a Raleigh branded model of the early-mid '80s (my estimate on its year, definitely 80s decals). I cannot tell what components are on it, but the rear derailleur is probably Sun Tour ("V"?). That bike appears to have a fairly steep head angle, but I assume it is more of a a touring design than racing given the overall wheelbase, and if original, rear cluster. It should handle well as a commuter, but may feel a bit unstable on really fast descents. That handlebar has a pretty healthy drop to it for a touring or commuter bike; it may not be original. The decals and paint seem original so the head badge or other decals, if still intact, might have the country/city of origin. My "Herc" is a '54 roadster so not really any way to compare them.
It looks a little similar to an early to mid '80s Raleigh Marathon (presumed) I have; bash guard on the front rings anyways and possibly the same drivetrain, but significantly different geometry (mine has a longer wheelbase and slacker head angle; also mine has Raleigh "502" tubing and not higher quality Reynolds 531 tubing like that frame).
If being sold in the US it would go for about $100-$150 USD (120-170 euros) low end, and up to $175-$200 on a good day if everything is in proper working order with good tires on it. The "531" frame and components may add some value to it above the $200 range, but I cannot judge from the photo. With it having a "531" frame I would assume it is a step up from entry level, probably mid level depending on component level.
Looks a bit taller than 60cm; maybe around 62 c-c seat tube. If it fits it should make a nice commuter and you probably have adequate space to use wider tires if desired (maybe up to 32mm). My commuter/hybrid/gravel fits 30mm tires on a 1986 Reynolds 501 sport frame.

Thank you for the info @Jesper! Always a pleasure.

Yeah, the frame does look like 62cm + it has Weinmann brake set. I've asked the seller a few questions because the bike is still on sale for 145 EUR or $160 USD. Will keep an update.
Hello Jesper, I grew up with Hercules in India and didn't realize they were known (infamous?) here in the US. I do not know the history of Hercules and Enfield bicycles but am guessing they were remnants after the British left.

(06-08-2023, 10:15 PM)Jesper Wrote:  

p.s.

@Zviedrs Sorry, but my brain must have been lacking oxygen! I forgot about the German Hercules marque. That is what that bike is. It is not related to the English/Indian brand except by name only. I believe they were established before the English company was founded (circa 1910-1911). I would have known immediately had I seen a head badge which is probably why I did not recognize the decals as specifically being from the English/Indian factories.
It makes perfect sense given yours and the bike's location.
At this point I would bring it up a notch in quality as they did make some very good racing bikes (I think they also used Columbus tubing for frames), so I would put it at the upper end of my estimated value range. I cannot confirm what components would have originally been on it, but I would assume that it was at least outfitted as a mid-level racer with the possibility that the same frame was used as their top model but with high end components (and maybe some chrome lugs).

As I tried to glean more from the photo I could not really ID the parts, but "SR" is usually in reference to either Campagnolo "Super Record" model components or Sakae Ringyo branded components. I tend to think that the front and rear mechs and seat post are original; replacement crankset, pedals, and bar; hubs?.

Regardless, I would be much more interested as a buyer knowing that this is a quailty machine handmade in Germany by a smaller company (than English/Indian) that sponsored racing teams back in the day. If it works size wise then I think it would be a decent purchase for what the seller was asking.

Again, I apologize as I do not hear much about the German marque other than their motorized vehicles (they made a cool 3 wheeled car and "bolt on" motors for bicycles, and various scooters/motorcycles).

Edit to previous comment: I doubt that you can fit 32mm tires on it, more than likely 28-30mm at the widest.
I found that the German marque was founded in 1903.
Take care,
Jesper

@GirishH
I made a mistake regarding the road bike, it is German made by an independent company not related to the English/Indian marque.
I think the Hercules bikes started being made in India in the 1950s (after TI/Tube Investments purchase), but not 100% positive (maybe late 40s when TI established Indian factory).
Here is a link to my '54 roadster (English built) which is probably similar to Indian bikes you have seen, and made for decades without much modification. I still order parts from Indian suppliers for my rod brake bikes.
https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-6433.html?highlight=Hercules
Take care,
Jesper

@Jesper thank you for clarification!

I decided against buying this Hercules, mostly because of its frame geometry and size + the handlebar is not of my taste. Of course, I could switch it to a more comfortable one, but also the bike's current location (1h commute one way by car) just didn't make it worth the effor based on my needs for a "cheap commuter road bike". Nevertheless, I might loan out a friend's Raleigh for my commuting purpose. Will send some updates later on.
it must be them
Hercules Werke AG: https://herculesmuseum.wordpress.com/hercules-werke-ag-nurnberg-germany/

Possibly Related Threads...