Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Trouble Mounting Front Brake Calliper
Hello, I am currently building my first bike from scratch from riding single speed for a good 4 years now. Apologies if I use the wrong terminology, please, do correct me if so Smile

So, when I put the recessed nut in from the back, it pokes out by about 5mm. This tell me that it's butting against the 'meat' of the fork for the calliper bolt to screw into. However, when I push the bolt in from the front, it simply does not reach. I'm currently at work and cheffed up a drawing for easier understanding - please note, the dims aren't bang on but it shows the problem.

I've searched for similar problems online, I don't think drilling the fork is a good idea and I a longer recessed nut won't do anything as far as I know?

The fork is from a Boardman SLR Carbon Pro 2014.

Thank you very much for reading dawg, stay safe Smile
(05-29-2020, 09:16 AM)JamesNg Wrote:  Hello, I am currently building my first bike from scratch from riding single speed for a good 4 years now. Apologies if I use the wrong terminology, please, do correct me if so Smile

So, when I put the recessed nut in from the back, it pokes out by about 5mm. This tell me that it's butting against the 'meat' of the fork for the calliper bolt to screw into. However, when I push the bolt in from the front, it simply does not reach. I'm currently at work and cheffed up a drawing for easier understanding - please note, the dims aren't bang on but it shows the problem.

I've searched for similar problems online, I don't think drilling the fork is a good idea and I a longer recessed nut won't do anything as far as I know?

The fork is from a Boardman SLR Carbon Pro 2014.

Thank you very much for reading dawg, stay safe Smile
I think I get what you are trying to do. Is the recessed nut and the bolt part of a kit? Perhaps there is a different kit with a shorter recessed nut and a longer bolt? If the current parts are all you have, then perhaps they can be modified. Cut the recessed nut by about 5mm so it goes all the way in until the shoulder touches the fork, and buy a longer bolt. If the head of your current bolt is fancy, like chromed or whatever, then you might not easily find a longer one of the same type.

If the bolt goes through the caliper (brake arm) it may have a shoulder to prevent it from going in so far that it binds the caliper. If that is the case, it seems you have the wrong parts. Perhaps they were intended for a thinner fork.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.

Possibly Related Threads...