Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

First Metric Century
I completed my first metric century (62 miles) yesterday. The route was almost 100% on the Glacial Drumlin trail in southeast Wisconsin. The route was about 50/50 gravel and tarmac. Overall it went well. I planned my nutrition and hydration well. I had plenty of energy. My issue was a sore undercarriage the last 20ish miles. I'd like to do a 100 mile ride in a month or so, but I'm wondering if the pain will be worth it. Perhaps I just need to upgrade my cycling shorts... LOL. What about you? Can you all do 100 miles without pain? Is pain just something that goes along with a long ride? My typical rides up to yesterday were 20 - 30 miles.

Attached Files Image(s)

Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
(08-16-2022, 12:27 PM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  I completed my first metric century (62 miles) yesterday. The route was almost 100% on the Glacial Drumlin trail in southeast Wisconsin. The route was about 50/50 gravel and tarmac. Overall it went well. I planned my nutrition and hydration well. I had plenty of energy. My issue was a sore undercarriage the last 20ish miles. I'd like to do a 100 mile ride in a month or so, but I'm wondering if the pain will be worth it. Perhaps I just need to upgrade my cycling shorts... LOL. What about you? Can you all do 100 miles without pain? Is pain just something that goes along with a long ride? My typical rides up to yesterday were 20 - 30 miles.

30 miles on gravel can be quite a bit of shock on the butt and arms, especially if you had some long stretches. If you were comfortable on the saddle for the first 3+ hours then I would assume that saddle design and position are good for you.
I tend to ride more road than off-road (80% / 20%) so my bike is set-up for road riding. If you ride in significantly different positions between road and gravel it may affect long term comfort when doing long rides with mixed terrain.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
At some point in time, I will probably go for 100km in a day. I have done 60, 70 and 75 km in a day. 100km is challenging, as you can get tired towards the end. The key is to get in a lot of kilometers early, so you can take it easier towards the end.

Even consider wind and hills. Too much head wind will take its toll. You can probably go further on a level road compared to a hilly road. However, there is one place here where you can go 1 km up a steepish hill, and 10 km on a gentle downhill slope. You can go fast on the downhill section.

I haven't done it yet. See what happens.

To all those trying to get fitter, keep it up. We can all improve.
I did it. I did 100 km in a day. It was actually 102.5 km.

I did the first 50 km in 4 hours. That left me the rest of the day to do the other 50km. As I got nearer the end, I knew I could do it, so I took it easier.

I stopped for drinks and rest breaks at times. During the early part, they were short stops. Towards the end, they got longer. During the mid afternoon, when I was at 80km, it rained, so I had an excuse for a good rest.

On the day after, I did not have much energy, but I went out and did 30 km.

I am not planning to do this very often. It is challenging.

At this time, I am not planning to do 100 miles in a day. Hypothetically I could, maybe, but I would need to start well before daylight, and push myself to the limit. 100 miles is massively harder than 100 km. Maybe if I have a significant increase in fitness, I might consider it.
(08-16-2022, 12:27 PM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  My issue was a sore undercarriage the last 20ish miles. I'd like to do a 100 mile ride in a month or so, but I'm wondering if the pain will be worth it. Perhaps I just need to upgrade my cycling shorts... LOL. What about you? Can you all do 100 miles without pain? Is pain just something that goes along with a long ride? My typical rides up to yesterday were 20 - 30 miles.

Doing 100 km, I had a little soreness in my undercarriage, but not pain, not enough to be a problem. I like to get a large comfortable seat, and set up the bike to have a comfortable riding position. A large seat may not look cool for those wanting to look like a professional cyclist, but I find it comfortable. You support your weight on a larger area.

In the past, when I did little cycling, and went out cycling, I would get soreness and pain. I found that cycling toughens up that area, so it is not a serious problem.
Great!!
Take care,
Jesper

As I said, on the day after doing 100 km, I did not have much energy, but I went out and did 30 km.

On the second day after, my energy level had returned to how it was before doing the 100 km. I did 60 km on that day.

As you get fitter, you can:

1. ride faster.

2. ride for longer distances.

3. recover more quickly from tiredness and fatigue.

I would like to encourage those who are less fit to do their best, and get fitter.
Congratulations!

Soreness is part of the deal haha Big Grin Proper padding can help a bit, yes, but it won't take away the issue completely. How is your "saddle situation"? Have you had a professional take a look at leg height/fit (riding position as you mentioned)?
"Carbon is faster"
I am getting ready for my yearly century, but I will not be doing any long training rides over 50 miles.
I will be using a heavier bike to train on with added weight for water (1/2 gal.) and food, panniers, etc.
They have significant rest stops on the course if I really need much food or water so I can ride with frame bottles and not use rack or bags to tote stuff.
My overall bike and gear weight will be significantly lower for the event than the bike and equipment used for training. I would estimate near 10 pounds lighter (less 2 lbs just for H2O).
I would do longer rides for training, but with past injuries I prefer to save the body for the big ride since I already know how I feel after 100 miles.
You should always try to cycle a little the next day, but at a casual pace (if you crushed the 100mi) and low to moderate distance just to keep the body limber and as a way of determining if you may have an injury. If you have received no actual injury from the century ride you should not feel bad except for some exhaustion the next day. Any discomfort that goes beyond a day or two and is also noticeable in near future cycling regardless of distance might indicate an injury that was not evident during the ride.
Your behind should not be too sore for days after. If it, or any other body area is sore then you might want to get checked out by your MD.
I know I'll have a sore back if I ride more than 30 miles in the drops so I avoid doing that for prolonged periods (not a race after all) , and I'll ride a lower gear to keep the knees from screaming. Neither of which concern me on shorter rides.
My biggest reason for short training rides is the heat; hours of 90° F weather can take its toll more than the cycling. Thankfully the ride is late October so much cooler than now. The event has back to back century rides over the weekend. I have never done that except when touring 40 years ago; and I take the day off the from work the next day to recover if necessary.
I invite all to come and enjoy and fine ride with like minded folk. the "horse" course starts and ends at a brewery (free pint for the riders!).
Take care,
Jesper

(08-16-2022, 12:27 PM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  I completed my first metric century (62 miles) yesterday. The route was almost 100% on the Glacial Drumlin trail in southeast Wisconsin. The route was about 50/50 gravel and tarmac. Overall it went well. I planned my nutrition and hydration well. I had plenty of energy. My issue was a sore undercarriage the last 20ish miles. I'd like to do a 100 mile ride in a month or so, but I'm wondering if the pain will be worth it. Perhaps I just need to upgrade my cycling shorts... LOL. What about you? Can you all do 100 miles without pain? Is pain just something that goes along with a long ride? My typical rides up to yesterday were 20 - 30 miles.

I recently rode that same trail as part of Ride Across Wisconsin (98 miles day 1 and 135 mi day 2). Doing 62 miles is a good ride. Doing 100+ miles, yes, some soreness is to be expected. Like anything, one's body needs time to adapt to increasing demands made upon it. There is a lot going on both in your message and in riding long distances. Yes, invest in a very good pair of cycling shorts. Some shorts are specifically designed for long hours in the saddle. If you have the opportunity, get with a professional bike fitter to check your bike fit. But if it's just your tush, it's likely your overall fit is pretty reasonable. But is your saddle fitted to you? The correct size to fit your "sit bones". Are you sitting upright, on the hoods, or in the drops? Variety is the spice of life! The course is actually pretty comfortable: the gravel is not terribly different from the paved portions of the trail. But the entire route is fairly flat. I find a flat course actually harder on my tush than one with hills. What the hills offer is a chance to stand on your pedals. On a flat course, one ends up sitting the entire time.

So, ensure your saddle is the proper size for your "undercarriage" and offers appropriate support (consider an anatomic saddle). Try and plan on some time standing or well-timed breaks to give your tush tissues time to briefly recover. Consider training on progressively longer rides in order to help develop increased tissue density and skin calluses in the undercarriage area. One final suggestion. Sweat (and the salt contained within) can create a sandpaper-like effect, accelerating chaffing. To help mitigate this, I tend to use lanolin on the undercarriage to minimize chaffing, especially on longer rides. I've tried many products over the years, but lanolin has been the best so far.

Happy (and more comfortable) riding!
(09-27-2022, 08:19 PM)JJD Wrote:  

I recently rode that same trail as part of Ride Across Wisconsin (98 miles day 1 and 135 mi day 2). Doing 62 miles is a good ride. Doing 100+ miles, yes, some soreness is to be expected. Like anything, one's body needs time to adapt to increasing demands made upon it. There is a lot going on both in your message and in riding long distances. Yes, invest in a very good pair of cycling shorts. Some shorts are specifically designed for long hours in the saddle. If you have the opportunity, get with a professional bike fitter to check your bike fit. But if it's just your tush, it's likely your overall fit is pretty reasonable. But is your saddle fitted to you? The correct size to fit your "sit bones". Are you sitting upright, on the hoods, or in the drops? Variety is the spice of life! The course is actually pretty comfortable: the gravel is not terribly different from the paved portions of the trail. But the entire route is fairly flat. I find a flat course actually harder on my tush than one with hills. What the hills offer is a chance to stand on your pedals. On a flat course, one ends up sitting the entire time.

So, ensure your saddle is the proper size for your "undercarriage" and offers appropriate support (consider an anatomic saddle). Try and plan on some time standing or well-timed breaks to give your tush tissues time to briefly recover. Consider training on progressively longer rides in order to help develop increased tissue density and skin calluses in the undercarriage area. One final suggestion. Sweat (and the salt contained within) can create a sandpaper-like effect, accelerating chaffing. To help mitigate this, I tend to use lanolin on the undercarriage to minimize chaffing, especially on longer rides. I've tried many products over the years, but lanolin has been the best so far.

Happy (and more comfortable) riding!

Good input!!
Take care,
Jesper

My fitness has been improving. There have been many days when I have done over 60km in a day. There have been some days when I have done over 70km in a day. Recently, I did over 80km in a day. So it would not be difficult to do over 100km in a day again.

Some of you probably think I am an athletic type person. I am not. I just put in the effort. Most people could build up their fitness level to a point where they can do over 100km in a day, if they put in the effort.

I would like to encourage all of the unfit people out there to put in the effort, and become fitter.
Congratulations! My days of 100 miles are probobly over unless it's a club ride and don't have to pull too many times. I usually plan on three Metric centuries a year. Two of them are Loops and one, an out and back. My regular rides are usually 60-70 km anyway, so it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to do 30 more, butt (pun intended) it is. It has to be perfect conditions, Florida winter with lower temps in the 60s and light wind for the Loops with two rest stops for a stretch and a drink and a snack, and a breath of ocean air. For my out and back, spring time, again a cooler day with a light south breeze to start Southbound for 50+ km gets me to the power plant. Then, hopefully, that South breeze becomes a steady wind to help me home! 🚲
Some people just like cycling.

In addition to cycling, I like to see new places. Sometimes when I stop for drink and rest stops, I meet interesting people. These things can be more fun than the cycling itself. Sometimes the really long rides are not as much fun as the shorter ones.

Then there are places a bit further than I have been before, I want to check out. So I will have some longer rides.

Sometimes when I go to visit friends, I take the bike now. In the past, I would not have taken the bike so far.

I am also improving my fitness, and trying to lose weight, which should result in a longer life, if I don't get hit by a truck.
I did over 100km in a day for the second time. It was actually 103km.

There was a place I wanted to see, which was a bit further than I had been before. So I went there.

This trip included some hills, which made it harder. I had a strong head wind for part of the trip. I thought I would get a nice tail wind going home, but by that time the wind had died down. I also rode about 15 km where they were doing road works, which I did not know was there until I got there. With the wind and road works was a huge amount of dust. A water truck started watering the road just after I went past.

It was all fun.
(08-16-2022, 03:14 PM)Jesper Wrote:  

30 miles on gravel can be quite a bit of shock on the butt and arms, especially if you had some long stretches. If you were comfortable on the saddle for the first 3+ hours then I would assume that saddle design and position are good for you.
I tend to ride more road than off-road (80% / 20%) so my bike is set-up for road riding. If you ride in significantly different positions between road and gravel it may affect long term comfort when doing long rides with mixed terrain.

Yea, adding gravel to your Century can be tough. I plan two centuries a year in the spring. I wait for a light south breeze in the forecast and head into it first. When I turn back at the power station, the light breeze should have picked up to a nice SSE and give me a little push going home. Vero Beach to PSL nuclear plant is 50km. Average cadence 82-86 average speed 30kph. 100 miler solo would be a challenge but with a good pace group of 4-5 riders, it's possible.
I did over 100 km in a day for a third time. It was actually 106 km.

I have now done over 100 km in a day, twice in 2022, and once in 2023.

If you count 2 consecutive days, I actually did over 100 miles in 2 days.

I am getting fitter, and it is getting easier.

With my new headlight, I am not concerned about getting home before dark now, which will give me more time in a day to do long rides.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8238.html

I would like to encourage unfit people. If you put in the effort, you can do it too.
I did over 100km in a day twice more.

On the second of those days, I rode into a strong head wind. I had to pedal hard, and went slowly. For the first 70km I only had short drink and rest stops. I started getting sore knees. After 70km I had a couple of longer rest stops, and the wind stopped blowing so hard. My knees improved with the longer rest breaks.

With the long rides I do get really tired, but I keep going.

On another day I did over 90km.

So now I have done over 100km in a day, twice in 2022, and three times in 2023.

I like to encourage other less fit people to build up their fitness.
Congratulations J_R_Schultz on your first metric century. Like many other's said here, pain is part of the game..:-) So are gain, joy and celebrations. In regards to that first 100-miler, keep training and envision the enjoyment/exhilaration of completion.

I joined a local cycling club (Charles River Wheelers) solely for the purpose of doing my 1st century ride. They were fully-supported but I could only hit 1-2 aid stations (out of 4 or more). But the support I got along the ride and what Iearned then have served a lot over the years. Good luck with your upcoming century..:-)
I definitely would pretty sore on a ride like that right now, but if you just slowly work up like every week do a 20 miler for a month, then next month go up to 30 and so forth, you don’t get the chaffing, sore undercarriage, pain etc. but that’s sick and congrats 🤘🏼

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post