Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Putting drop bars on Cannondale Badboy (2002) hybrid
Hi

I want to put drop bars on this bike:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2002&brand=Cannondale&model=Bad+Boy

Need to change the brakes & want to put on combi brakes & shifters, but I'm a bit naive about how easily/well this can work.

Have been looking at a few possibilities for levers on Amazon - e.g.:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIMANO-ST2300-BRAKE-SHIFTER-DOUBLE/dp/B017XO7EX6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1475240787&sr=8-13&keywords=shimano+handlebar+brake+and+shifter

My hybrid has 3 cogs on the crank and 9 on the back bracket - i.e. - 27 gears. The shifters above say they're for 16 gears - so presumably not the ones for me?

Am I going to find any appropriate shifters for the way my bike as set up at the moment? Or do I need to change the gearing or abandon the plan altogether?

Thanks  
You need to look for a triple set, not double. the 2300 makes a triple also. if you cannot find a 9speed you could put an 8 speed cassette on the rear with a spacer in its place. the other problem would be your brakes. The road levers may not pull the v-brakes before hitting the handle bar. you may need to replace the v-brakes for older style canti-lever But that could be done last after you have tried the road levers with the v-brakes first.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(09-30-2016, 05:28 PM)painkiller Wrote:  You need to look for a triple set, not double. the 2300 makes a triple also. if you cannot find a 9speed you could put an 8 speed cassette on the rear with a spacer in its place. the other problem would be your brakes. The road levers may not pull the v-brakes before hitting the handle bar. you may need to replace the v-brakes for older style calipers But that could be done last after you have tried the road levers with the v-brakes first.

Hi.

Found these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-SORA-ST-3400-DOUBLE-TRIPLE-9-SPEED-ROAD-STI-LEVERS-36918/311270436004?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D39012%26meid%3Db5bb​24256e144ccd958710fef105b2c1%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26s​d%3D302085471284

Says they're compatible with a 9 speed cassette. Is that universal, or will it depend on the particular cassette I have?

Also - my hybrid had a Shimano Deore LX front derailleur. And a Shimano Deore XT rear gear mech. Do you know if the brifters above are likely to be compatible?

Appreciate your help with this.

e
Derailluers and rear cluster will be fine. The shifters will work with them. Like I stated before the possible issue would be the brake pull matched to the V-brakes. You may end up needing to go to cantilever. other than that, it should come together fine as long as it is set up proper. Linear/V-brake levers pull more cable, that is why there is a chance of the road levers hitting the bar before applying proper braking force. Road calipers use the same pull ratio as cantilever brakes. I apologize for the mistake in my use earlier when I said caliper for the replacement brake. You may need to go to cantilever style. One other point if that is what you will have to do is to add cable stops front and rear because the cable will need to be in the middle not from the side with a noodle. You will know straight away once set up with the V-brakes and a test ride whether or not you should swap brakes to cantilever or not. the front cable stop will replace some of the gap of your seized spacers and the back one can go on the bolt of your seat binder if need be.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-01-2016, 11:45 AM)painkiller Wrote:  Derailluers and rear cluster will be fine. The shifters will work with them. Like I stated before the possible issue would be the brake pull matched to the V-brakes. You may end up needing to go to cantilever. other than that, it should come together fine as long as it is set up proper. Linear/V-brake levers pull more cable, that is why there is a chance of the road levers hitting the bar before applying proper braking force. Road calipers use the same pull ratio as cantilever brakes. I apologize for the mistake in my use earlier when I said caliper for the replacement brake. You may need to go to cantilever style. One other point if that is what you will have to do is to add cable stops front and rear because the cable will need to be in the middle not from the side with a noodle. You will know straight away once set up with the V-brakes and a test ride whether or not you should swap brakes to cantilever or not. the front cable stop will replace some of the gap of your seized spacers and the back one can go on the bolt of your seat binder if need be.

Thanks again. Was thinking about seeing if the braking was too slack and if so installing these:

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents/

Not the most attractive solution. But I think will mean I don't have to alter anything else?
sound good, have never used them. good luck mate and keep us updated as to your progress

Possibly Related Threads...