Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Hybrid wheels
Hello, I just would like to know if it's possible to put 26' hybrid wheels onto a mountain bike frame? and also if you take a look at the picture of this bike frame, whether or not the back end would be compatible with quick release as it's an old frame. The front should be as I've brought new forks for it, thanks. Daniel
26 inch hybrid wheels have the same rim diameter as other 26" wheels, though the rims tend to be narrower, so there is no problem functionally. If you don't know that and also don't know that essentially ALL dropouts/frames are compatible with q/r, then it may not be a good idea to build a bike from scratch, as you will face a host of other issues with proper component fit and compatibility.
10-4 to what NY said. Perhaps there is a do it yourself shop in your area where you can get some tools and help. As per wheels what is important it that they fit between the dropouts. So measure that distance and make sure new wheels will fit.

The sum of parts to build a bike is more than the cost of a build bike. But you can learn a lot doing it. You will not save money.
Never Give Up!!!
Actually I don't agree that you will learn a lot - at least not that will be useful or applicable to general bike maintenance. Many of the tools and procedures needed for a bike build are seldom used for any other purpose.
(07-22-2014, 01:21 PM)cny-man Wrote:  26 inch hybrid wheels have the same rim diameter as other 26" wheels, though the rims tend to be narrower, so there is no problem functionally. If you don't know that and also don't know that essentially ALL dropouts/frames are compatible with q/r, then it may not be a good idea to build a bike from scratch, as you will face a host of other issues with proper component fit and compatibility.

I do know quite a bit and have pretty much all of the specific tools apart from the head-set press which I will get, but no I'm not an experienced mechanic by any means. It's just I don't have any experience with quick release as my current bike is a bolt on, but I wasn't sure if all frames were compatible with quick release as I've never dealt with it, thanks. But yea I am pretty new to bikes but I'm confident I know enough and have the tools to do it, if I get stuck I will be straight back on here lol.

Also do you think I could put a shimano hollowtech 2 BB on this bike, then put a 9 speed crank-set on it/9 speed cassette as the hybrid wheels are compatible with that, just don't know if they would fit the bike as I don't have the frame yet. Thanks.
You need to order the BB and crank set together or at least confirm what BB is needed when you choose the crankset. Due to Hollowtech being external it's critical that you "chase and face" the BB - which requires very expensive tools - bike shop will do it but no idea how much they would charge or how close one is that has the equipment. You need to do some studying about drive trains - Bottom bracket/crankset, chainline, OLD (over locknut distance). Google, focus on parktool, sheldonbrown and shimano sites. Your best bet is to see if there's a bike co-op near you.
AS far as head set press, look in the tech file here. Several people have made their own using all thread rod some large washers and nuts Works for BB too.
Never Give Up!!!
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3335.html
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Nice PK. If one does not have a welder just locking two nuts against each other will work. This is a trick used to pull studs out. Put one nut on set the second tight next to it and than use a wrench on the lower one to unscrew the stud.

Boy looking at that post lots of MIA Johnny V, KC, Robar..........
Never Give Up!!!
(07-23-2014, 01:12 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Nice PK. If one does not have a welder just locking two nuts against each other will work. This is a trick used to pull studs out. Put one nut on set the second tight next to it and than use a wrench on the lower one to unscrew the stud.

Boy looking at that post lots of MIA Johnny V, KC, Robar..........

okay thanks,yeah ive seen on youtube people make their own
so I will probably do that, also i don't know much about chasing and facing a bb, do you know what kind of tools i'd need?what kind of bottom bracket and.crankset would you put on the above bike?cheers man.
LOOK IT UP or find competent local assistance! Sorry to be blunt but if you want to do a scratch build you need a lot more knowledge than you have, and you won't get it by asking bits and pieces questions on a forum. As I stated the tools for chasing/facing are expensive - VERY expensive. 99.9% of people would be foolish to buy the tools, and most shops would charge at least $50 for the service.

p.s. The BB someone else would put on is irrelevant. The point of a scratch build is that you know what your exact needs and preferences are and therefore want to select each component to have control over those choices. That is actually a rare situation, and most people (including me) have been well served by purchasing a bike that meets 90% of one's needs and then making changes to the critical parts that don't.
Yea I think I will LOOK IT UP
Daniel;

What is the goal for this bike?
What is your total budget for the project?

Like anything else, a systematic approach is more likely to lead to success than a random one. Your questions indicate a random, unplanned approach. Confidence is great; undisciplined confidence is FATAL.
Nigel
My goal for the bike is just to use it as a commuting bike and my budget is between £2-300 I don't know what that converts to in dollars, sorry. I didn't really plan it out, I just saw the frame on ebay and thought I'd try and build one as I've replaced lots of different things on my current bike so have learnt quite a lot. However, I have no experience with chasing and facing BB's so I may just leave it as a square tapered one, which already is on the frame and is brand new apparently. What elements should I have planned before i even started?
I wasn't planning on building it all at once, I was going to buy bits for each at a time and just do it gradually when I had free time as I already have a bike at the moment. It was more out of interest than anything
(07-23-2014, 02:34 PM)daniel1988 Wrote:  ...... What elements should I have planned before i even started?....
Everything.

Your budget does not allow for enough components to finish a bike if you went with a Hollowtech BB (and crankset) for example.

Make a list of every component and tool that you are going to need. What is the price range for each?

Regarding the current BB - what is the axle length? The crankset you choose must be compatible with the axle length. Too short, and the inner chain ring will rub the frame; too long and the chain line on the big ring will not be workable.

£2-300 will get you a bit above middle of the line wheel set.

We're not trying to discourage you, just give you healthy dose or reality.
Nigel
Hi Daniel;

Please take a look at:
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-5665.html
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-4930.html
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3167.html

Based on what I have seen of UK prices, it would be very difficult to duplicate any of these for £300 in the UK. Bike component prices seem to be about the same in $ in the USA as they are in £ in the UK. For example, a $40- crankset in the USA is the same as a £40 one in the UK. Please note that all three examples use Shimano's low end M131/171 cranks. The Motiv was the low budget project of the three because the original wheels, derailleurs, headset, bars, peddles and seat post were salvaged.
Nigel
Okay thanks for your help Nigel if i make a plan can I show it to you? I understand you guys giving me a healthy dose of reality,that's absolutely fine.well actually my budgets more towards £500.that bottom bracket which is.already in it is a shimano un52,but it doesn't say the length of it.

most of the cranksets for square tapered are cheap on amazon,all the expensive ones take a hollowtech. I don't drive.so can not get the frame.to a bike shop to get it chased and faced.

I will have a look at those links you provided,thanks a lot. ALso,when you make a plan what does it consist of,do you do it on paper or pc,thanks.

Daniel
There are plenty of square taper BB's that aren't "cheap." Less expensive is not the same as cheap. You need to have some perspective here. Square taper cranksets served decades of commuters, long distance tourists and racers (I was all of those). Same goes for 10 speed cassette vs. 8 or 9.

You seem determined to go ahead with your project - good luck. I have found very, very few people who post on this or bikeforums.net who start a build with your knowledge level and lack of a clear goal who then report back later that it was a rewarding experience and their bike is better than anything they could have purchased.
(07-24-2014, 10:02 AM)cny-man Wrote:  There are plenty of square taper BB's that aren't "cheap." Less expensive is not the same as cheap. ....

English English has different definitions for words than American English.
Nigel
(07-24-2014, 10:02 AM)cny-man Wrote:  There are plenty of square taper BB's that aren't "cheap." Less expensive is not the same as cheap. You need to have some perspective here. Square taper cranksets served decades of commuters, long distance tourists and racers (I was all of those). Same goes for 10 speed cassette vs. 8 or 9.

You seem determined to go ahead with your project - good luck. I have found very, very few people who post on this or bikeforums.net who start a build with your knowledge level and lack of a clear goal who then report back later that it was a rewarding experience and their bike is better than anything they could have purchased.

you are probably right, the bike won't be as good as if purchased brand new, but how else will I learn than to attempt a build myself.i'm more interested in that,than buying one brand new which may be put together by a more knowledgeable person.

and besides,i've decided to keep the square tapered bb that's already in it. You make it sound like I know nothing at all! I know how to install and adjust the derailleurs,install a crankset,install v-brakes and gear/brake cables.I can true bicycle wheels,overhaul the wheel bearings.I can install pedals, brake levers, adjust the brakes where necessary. I can take apart a threadless head-set and replace bearings,change a cassette/freewheel and fit a new chain on. And i have all the tools to do the above.

and I do have a clear goal, as i will measure everything before i buy it, and know what kind of shifters/derailleurs i want and crank set. The above frame already has a head-set installed,which I will leave in. But yes you may be right but I'm sure I.will learn a lot in the process regardless

Possibly Related Threads...