Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Couple of TREK MT Track 830's
Picked up a couple of TREK MT Track 830's today. They are the newest bikes I have bought.
They are cro-molly frames. They look like his and her bikes.
They are a few years old but other then that I have not looked into them but will fix the larger one for myself and sell the other one.
[Image: IMG_00002174_zpsqurta44q.jpg~original]
"Where ever we go, there we are"
Elmore, How long have had "The Fever" ? I do not know if there is a cure.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(02-25-2015, 07:21 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Elmore, How long have had "The Fever" ? I do not know if there is a cure.

If there is a cure PK send me the recipie? Maybe I should stop watching American Picker?
 I have about 10 bikes now and really need to get rid of some this spring. Buying two old bikes like these is still less money then getting your teeth cleaned at the dentist's office.  So I suppose it is the value proposition that tricks  my mind into these purchases. Anyway there are worse vices? Like buying more golf clubs maybe? 
Just about all others are worse Smile

You are still a few behind me Smile

Trek 830 - made in Taiwan, at least the vintage you have, all are TIG welded Cr-Mo plain gage.  Equal to a Specialized Hardrock of the same vintage.  Good tough bike, excellent basis for an urban bike, commuter, even touring bike.  If you are going to be on pavement only, get some Nashbar City Slick tires - they even work well in dry off road.  Mud or sand - not.   
Nigel
(02-26-2015, 12:54 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  Just about all others are worse Smile

You are still a few behind me Smile

Trek 830 - made in Taiwan, at least the vintage you have, all are TIG welded Cr-Mo plain gage.  Equal to a Specialized Hardrock of the same vintage.  Good tough bike, excellent basis for an urban bike, commuter, even touring bike.  If you are going to be on pavement only, get some Nashbar City Slick tires - they even work well in dry off road.  Mud or sand - not.   

Thanks Nigel. I think I will put a set of those slick tires on and see what difference it makes. Do you have a good place to buy tires on line or do you buy locally?
I get the Nashbar tires directly from Nashbar or through Amazon.

Kenda tires from Niagara or Amazon.

You will be amazed at the difference. Note, you may need new narrower tubes. I stuff Sunlite Thorn Resistant 26 x 1.5/19.5 tubes in to the 32mm (1¼") wide Nashbar slicks.
Nigel
(02-26-2015, 02:17 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  I get the Nashbar tires directly from Nashbar or through Amazon.

Kenda tires from Niagara or Amazon.

You will be amazed at the difference.  Note, you may need new narrower tubes.  I stuff Sunlite Thorn Resistant 26 x 1.5/19.5 tubes in to the 32mm (1¼") wide Nashbar slicks.

One thing I noticed is the Weinmann 519 wheels on my Trek are rather narrow for the 2.25 inch tires on there right now. i want to put on the narrowest tire size I can. do you think Nashbar 1 1/4" will work for my set up? 
I had a nice 1985, or close, Trek 830 that got stolen. Back than they were very nice bikes at about $450 . I hauled it and two motorcycles behind me when I moved to CA from NY in 1989. In a tiny 4 cyl truck loaded to gills. What a ride. Last three days through desert at 115 degrees and no AC. When I stopped at a hotel I spend the whole evening it the pool. Glad I was young.
Never Give Up!!!
Weinmann 519 rims (not wheels)  http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/CTB/519.htm

The 19mm inside width will work very well with the 32-559 City Slicks.

I run City Slicks (and 40-559 Kendas) on Velocity Aeroheat rims which have an 18mm inside width. I have run 28-630 tires on a Alex R19 which has a 19mm inside width with no issues.
Nigel
(02-27-2015, 12:44 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  Weinmann 519 rims (not wheels)  http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/CTB/519.htm

The 19mm inside width will work very well with the 32-559 City Slicks.

I run City Slicks (and 40-559 Kendas) on Velocity Aeroheat rims which have an 18mm inside width.  I have run 28-630 tires on a Alex R19 which has a 19mm inside width with no issues.

Rims? Not wheels! (now understand.)

Thanks for the help Nigel. I will post pic when I get this done. Right now I'm cleaning up the 16" Trek to
fund this project. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post