Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Sizing of Bottom Bracket.
Is there a good way of knowing what size of BB your bike takes, without having it at hand, and not having the specs from the manual.

I would like to get the tools and part at the same time to avoid repeat trips to the bike store, if I can help it.
(07-18-2014, 05:21 PM)DragonWriter Wrote:  Is there a good way of knowing what size of BB your bike takes, without having it at hand, and not having the specs from the manual.

I would like to get the tools and part at the same time to avoid repeat trips to the bike store, if I can help it.
BB's are sized by the crankset, spec your crankset for spindle length, second is your BB shell width i.e. 68,73. Third, type, cupsbearing spindle, or cartridge, and last type i.e. square taper, ISIS spline etc.
maybe some clear close up pics would help and the model# of your crank, often stamped on the back of the arms and I can help further
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thank you, I'll get the pictures, when I try and have another go at removing the cranks, its proving real problematic. As they don't seem to want to move.
(07-19-2014, 11:00 AM)DragonWriter Wrote:  Thank you, I'll get the pictures, when I try and have another go at removing the cranks, its proving real problematic. As they don't seem to want to move.
are you using a crank puller? you cannot beat them off with a hammer
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Yes I am.

(07-19-2014, 11:44 AM)painkiller Wrote:  
(07-19-2014, 11:00 AM)DragonWriter Wrote:  Thank you, I'll get the pictures, when I try and have another go at removing the cranks, its proving real problematic. As they don't seem to want to move.
(07-19-2014, 12:01 PM)DragonWriter Wrote:  Yes I am.

(07-19-2014, 11:44 AM)painkiller Wrote:  
find a long pipe or tube,hollow post and two people, the leverage will torque it off, I use a 5 ft. pipe over my wrench or breaker bar. works every time. I hold the crank and my wife 100lbs can snap it loose
Here's photos of the crank puller, the inside of the crank and the name on the crank arm.

just realised that this thread that started out as a thread about bottom brackets, have turned into a thread about cranks. Oops sorry.
(07-19-2014, 01:30 PM)DragonWriter Wrote:  Here's photos of the crank puller, the inside of the crank and the name on the crank arm.

just realised that this thread that started out as a thread about bottom brackets, have turned into a thread about cranks. Oops sorry.

It is hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like you have spindle/cup type right now. I would remove, clean, inspect for pitting on the cups and spindle, inspect, or replace bearings, grease and reassemble. If this is not an option then measure the spindle (not the threads) and order a cartridge BB. If you cannot find and exact match go for the closest longer one

Possibly Related Threads...