Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Is the creaking sound coming from pedals or bottom bracket? [Solved]
Hello everyone.

After many winter rides, my 29er MTB began to throw out creaking sounds last week. It's nothing too loud, just a gentle yet annoying creak that happens on every other stroke but not constantly. Could it simply be the case of pedals (I have clipless Shimano MTB pedals) being "tired" and not the bottom bracket? Where should I look first?
(04-01-2021, 08:03 AM)BaBaBiker Wrote:  Hello everyone.

After many winter rides, my 29er MTB began to throw out creaking sounds last week. It's nothing too loud, just a gentle yet annoying creak that happens on every other stroke but not constantly. Could it simply be the case of pedals (I have clipless Shimano MTB pedals) being "tired" and not the bottom bracket? Where should I look first?

I would suspect the BB over the pedals. Swap pedals if you have a spare set, it will help isolate the problem. What type of BB?
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(04-01-2021, 09:19 PM)Criminal Wrote:  
(04-01-2021, 08:03 AM)BaBaBiker Wrote:  Hello everyone.

I would suspect the BB over the pedals. Swap pedals if you have a spare set, it will help isolate the problem. What type of BB?

it's a FSA Catridge bottom bracket. I'll take a photo later today
Uncle gave me a car silicone oil spray, intended for doors mostly. I did a couple of sprays here and there around the pedals and crank arm ... aaaand no creaking sounds today.
Note that creaking can sometimes come from your seat guts or seat post clamp not being tight enough.

I had this issue on BMX, and I'm currently experiencing another issue like this on my single speed. I suspect that it might be because the seatpost is using a shim. It could be that there's no way to prevent it from creaking if a shim is needed and used.

I haven't been able to factor out the bottom bracket yet, since it was ridden hard, if only a short time now. It's a basic Shimano BB, so it's notorious for this issue. I won't know until I swap it out with the replacement I have. I am not going to do that so soon though.

Possibly Related Threads...