Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bike Light Recommendations
I started commuting in June and have mounted head and tail lights but want to add another tail light for added visibility. I want to get a light to clip on either my clothes or underseat tool bag. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks

I use a <a HREF="http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3009.html">Blinky 3</a> for my taillight. It's got the mount for either the seatpost or the frame arm for the back wheel. Then you have the option to clip it on whatever. I've seen people mention using multiples. Depends on what you're comfortable with. But mine's been holding up and I'm told it's very hard to not be seen, even in the daytime on flash mode.

Why is it that they make adult bikes that'll generally work for 5'9" or above, yet when you pedal these same bikes they only work for someone who is 5'4" or so?
You said that rear you have mounted rear light. Where is it located?

When you think about light placement, remember the the human eye sees movement better than a fixed light.
I currently live in a bike friendly area. However, I use a white head light mounted on my bars, a red flashing light under my seat, a red flashing light on my left seat stay and a red flashing light on my backpack. I always wear a god awful yellow/green jersey with alumalite and I have reflective stickers on the heals of my shoes and my helmet. I also follow the traffic laws. It still amazes me the number of people that are surprised that a cyclist would actually commute by bike to work in the morning.

When I lived in an area where you were taking your life in you hand going down a one way, the right way in a car, I used a helmet light. It worked wonders!!! Nothing scares a person more than headlights when they are doing something wrong.

When you commute at night, remember the times when you were stuck in a car in traffic and how you were tired, aggravated and possibly jealous of that guy passing you, that was having fun and getting his workout in without taking time from the family, significant other or what ever. Remember they are not paying attention and you need to watch for them!

Sorry for my first post, it was way to long to a simple question.
I have my tail light mounted on the frame arm of the rear wheel and that is why I wanted one higher up to increase visibility. Most of my ride is on a bike trail. However, the few road miles are closest to my house so that means early morning darkness when I leave and late afternoon dusk upon return. Thanks for the insight and recommendation.
I've got one of these on the back, it's very bright and in flashing mode, even the most myopic motorist should see you: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/accessories/lights/back/product/mars-30-rear-light-29565

One of these on the front: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42466 Also very bright with good side visibility.

I also made another yellow "side" light using an old rear light, some clear plastic tube and some LEDs, I'll post a picture tomorrow. Smile
Here's the "side light" I mentioned in my previous post:
http://www.ecovelo.info/2010/08/17/bike-commuting-101-lights/
I use one of these wind-up light; their cheap, have flash mode and solid beam, don’t use batteries (saves money and don’t have to worry about the battery dying), easy to fit (don’t even need a screw-driver to install) and the front light connects to the back by a wire so when I switch the front on the back goes on to.

[attachment=1675]

But the beam isn't strong at all, I was riding thought a forest a night and couldn't see a thing, nearly hit a shrew are a mouse. LED's are funny some don’t give you any light but apparently they can be seen a mile way.

I recommend these lights, but I am going to get something stronger to use alongside them (but nothing to strong as I have been near blinded by other cyclist with their strong beams), it's a good back up if your main battery one fails.
i rarely ride in the dark ( my kids are most always with me), but i have an led taillight under my seat. i have seen cars notice it driving past the house when its just sitting in the yard w/ it on. also have a headlight, but usually it sits on the bench & i use it more for working on the bike than riding it. they both are cheapie Bells from wallyworld.
driving through the finger lake region in ny one evening, i saw the brightest led i ever saw. once i got closer, i realized it was a bike headlight on an amish buggy. it stood out better then any cars lights, really got my attention. i was so impressed, that weekend i got my headlight, even though i never ride in the dark.
leds dont let you see that good, but man, do they ever let you be seen!
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
I bought these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160548348517&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4338wt_1141

The rear red backlight has 7 different modes and it looks plenty bright. Lots of blinking options. I had to use the seatpost bracket from my reflector that came with the bike since the one it comes with was too small.

The front one is ok, It has two modes, 1 stable and 1 blinking. It seems good for others to see you but it honestly has a small area focus beam and you can see maybe something between 5-10 feet in front of you but a small area.

I am buying a new light that actually lets me be seen, I will post to help ya know how that goes.
I don't ride much at night outside of the neighborhood with my wife when she gets home from work. Both of us have Cateye front and rear lights that are OK for what we do, but I wouldn't really recommend them for night riding on your own. Being seen by others isn't the problem, they just don't have a string enough beam for you to see the road safely. I know the roads in my neighborhood, so that isn't a big thing.

The only other times that I ride at night is with groups doing benefit rides but most of that is in the city and you really don't need a bike light to see, only to be seen. In the group rides that I have been on, I have not seen any of the lights that are really a standout as far as you being able to see the road well. Cateye does make some very powerful lights that will not only make you seen by others, but make you see the road very well. However, be prepared to pay for that.

I'm not sure about others, but I have had several rear lights that I have clipped on to my under-seat bag (as an extra light) that always manage to fall off over rough roads. After breaking three of them from falling off, I now just clip my extra rear light on my riding shorts and that seems to hold them a lot better than the bag does.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
First thanks for sharing as I always love looking at new finds (to me). Next I bought these because at the time I could not pass them up on sale for 12.00. They seem to do very nicely, but there are drawbacks.... http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW75738-4-Solar-Combo-Light/dp/B0030RS6IS . The rear light battery is permanently mounted. The solar part is no joke and does recharge. Just sucks when it rains if the lights are upside down or on their side as it is not waterproof. Sad
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I have the ebay lights posted above, also have a Cree Light that I mount on the front. It was purchased on ebay with a mounting bracket. The Cree light is noticeable better. I just received it from china. I was so impressed with the difference that I made a video review and posted it to youtube. Those interested, I welcome you to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSp08oxTbNg

Ebay lights 5LED combo, front and back was about 5 and change and the Cree light I bid on it and got it for 12 but I forgot to mention the shipping which was like 3 bucks. It came from china and both took a week to receive.

You should see the video and you'll see why the Cree light wins hands down. I really can see what's in front of me. If someone were to walk in front of me or a dog or a vehicle, I really think I would see it at least 15-20 feet in front of me which is way more than I can say for a lot of these LED lights.

The only drawback , which I forgot to mention was the Cree light drains more batteries. This is what someone else said, I have to test it out myself. You will get a few hours out of them. Luckily its 3 AAA batteries which don't weigh much, you can keep an extra set on you if you are doing a long night session.

Good luck. Thanks for viewing my video if you decide to do so.
are cree LEDS not the ones used in hunting tourches for blinding rabbits and foxes?
(03-01-2011, 05:17 PM)Darrenjs92ni Wrote:  are cree LEDS not the ones used in hunting tourches for blinding rabbits and foxes?

I can't confirm this at all. I didn't do deep enough research. However, I wouldn't doubt it. Looking directly into a cree LED definitely felt like getting a flash go off directly at me about 10 times straight. I was seeing big spots for a minute or two.

Highly do not recommend looking into it directly.

On my bike, I have it pointing a bit downward so it doesn't point directly at anyone's face.
Nice video. Thanks for posting but I think it would be more informative and more accurate if it were done at night against the road rather than bouncing off a white wall. Although I must admit, they do seem pretty bright.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(03-01-2011, 10:32 PM)JohnV Wrote:  Nice video. Thanks for posting but I think it would be more informative and more accurate if it were done at night against the road rather than bouncing off a white wall. Although I must admit, they do seem pretty bright.

Completely agree. I couldn't get outside. I plan to redo it with outside footage also. Thanks for the tip.
If you want a red tail-light that can't help but be noticed - there is a Trek-branded one called the Flare BeSeen. It is OBNOXIOUSLY B R I G H T.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Now that's what I want!!! There a headlight just as bright???
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
The best city lights are Reelights - SL100 (http:////shop.reelight.com/. They are battery free and run day and night at no costs. There is no friction as there is with dynamos. I love them. You can get them very cheap on http://bicikel.eu - if you buy more then 1 (I bought 3) you can ask them for some extra discount.

Possibly Related Threads...