Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1990 Allez Epic Carbon 105
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(12-24-2013, 05:27 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Now that winter has set in its time to take of business on my ole Epic.
I thought I would pop off a couple teaser pics of the project and post more along the way. When complete it will more than likely be one of the best specimens on the planet bar one fresh out of the box. I hope you enjoy the pics and the ones to come!
The original Lycra covered Turbo saddle dry rotted out. So in keeping with the original Perf bar tape, I opted for a nice perf leather saddle to compliment each other
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Just something about the lug work says "retro Futuristic " to me.
"Retro Futuristic"?? Who are you, really? George Jetson?!! Smile

That's nice, Bob! I remember when SLR (Shimano Linear Response) came out. It was SO smoothe. Keep us updated.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(12-29-2013, 09:46 AM)RobAR Wrote:  "Retro Futuristic"?? Who are you, really? George Jetson?!! Smile

That's nice, Bob! I remember when SLR (Shimano Linear Response) came out. It was SO smoothe. Keep us updated.

Thanks Rob, are you sure you are not my long lost brother ?
(12-29-2013, 12:19 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Thanks Rob, are you sure you are not my long lost brother ?
I am your brother and your real name is Erstwhen. Since Dad was a Robert, we had to be Rob and Erstwhen so people wouldn't get confused back when we thought Phone Books would be around forever.
Nowadays, nobody names thier kid Erstwhen so, you became Bob because it was easy for our Aunt Joyce to remember. Rob and Bob.
Erstwhen sounded like a Stuper Hero side-kick name to me and I used to tie a towel around your neck and throw you off of the front porch. You don't remember that?? You still haven't learned to fly.

Happy New Year my bicycle brother!
Now that you have seen some of the "Good", it is time to break it down and deal with the ugly. When I purchased this bicycle from the original it had been hanging for a few years in a Morton building. Well it's not without it's imperfections. Now it is time to get knit picky on the details and how to deal with them to obtain 95%+ perfection in an economical way or at least ease the pain a pinch. I grade whether used or New old stock parts to be A grade or B grade. If each component of your build is rated to 95%+ perfect your final build will follow suit. These are standards I have set in place for myself to be a cut above and put out some of the best bicycles one could hope for. In the following pics you will see the original crank arms, they are really nice, not one nick anywhere. But on the drive side due to toe strap rub the 105 has been partially scrubbed away. So pounding the pavement I found NOS arms for $76, now how do you ease the pain of that? Simple, the original are very nice and will easily sell for $40 or $50, making my new ones really costing only around $30 or so.Now for the brake calipers, again they have no nicks, scratches or gouges. Just dirt and will clean and polish quite nice. But again the rusty springs do not meet my standards. I found Nos replacements for under $20 and comes with new pads too,++. After cleaning and polishing my old ones, they will sell for what I paid for new one in a heart beat. The front derailleur is new also. the original will clean up perfect but I got the new on the cheap too. I could sell my crank arms, front derailleur, and calipers together and recoup easily what I spent on the parts. I paid $100 for the bike and after all the new perfect parts and selling the old I will still only have $100 and some chump change in the bike. So you see my friends, striving for perfection does not have to be out of grasp, just a little flip and flop.
It's not Rust. It's Oxydation. Wink
(12-29-2013, 01:36 PM)RobAR Wrote:  
(12-29-2013, 12:19 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Thanks Rob, are you sure you are not my long lost brother ?
I am your brother and your real name is Erstwhen. Since Dad was a Robert, we had to be Rob and Erstwhen so people wouldn't get confused back when we thought Phone Books would be around forever.
Nowadays, nobody names thier kid Erstwhen so, you became Bob because it was easy for our Aunt Joyce to remember. Rob and Bob.
Erstwhen sounded like a Stuper Hero side-kick name to me and I used to tie a towel around your neck and throw you off of the front porch. You don't remember that?? You still haven't learned to fly.

Happy New Year my bicycle brother!
Mom, Dad, and Aunt Joyce always did like you the best.(suck up)
I happen to like the name Erstwhen, just look at all the Bobs and Robs in the world. I hope you are coming to terms with your abusive behavior. We may take your above statement as a confession and the first step to a cure. I had to become a Super Hero just survive. Flying down was never the hard part, still working on the up up and away part! Love ya Bro, Smile
(12-29-2013, 01:46 PM)RobAR Wrote:  It's not Rust. It's Oxydation. Wink

I stand corrected, just don't toss me off the porch again!
Now it's time to take a look at making the frame as nice as possible. Like most 20+ year old bikes, they can have their fair share of nicks, chips and scratches. These imperfections can make a big difference in price whether buying or selling. For this segment, I will show you how to deal with the superficial scrubs and scratches. You have all seen them, the most common being on the top tube created by the cables or where the housing vibrates against the frame.
su·per·fi·cial
ˌso͞opərˈfiSHəl/Submit
adjective
existing or occurring at or on the surface.
In Bicycle terms, the marks that go into but not thru the topcoat/Gelcoat
I wanted to post a pic of an example that was clear. I would like to follow up with a video to show how to address such issues, to help those so inclined to try it out for themselves.
Now time for the video, I hope it works. One note first is to use the polishing compound a couple times first to tone down a remove the marks that you can before proceeding to the more drastic measures in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljOSp0MEC8c
Like a fine wine, things get better with age!
Been watching this thread. This bike is a work of art. Attention to detail is crazy good.
Thanks Burner, glad you like it. I just wanted to take a little extra time to show what, how and why I do what I do with bicycles. It does not always have to cost a ton of money to have a nice ride. I will post more along the way!
Nice work! What a beautiful bike!
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Admirable effort, really nice bike!
Thanks for the compliment Fishboy and Joe. It is still in the works, Been busy getting people their bikes ready for springtime, the bug is in the air that's for sure. I will update as I go, and maybe another how to video along the way. Just want to show people that with the right bike, the right price, the right fixes and a little extra time/labor (almost free) you can come out ahead and slam some value back into a bicycle. I will have roughly $215 in the bike when all said and done. I do not really want to sell it but will put on the market to test the waters so to speak in due time. value is a funny thing and it is interesting to see what someone is willing to pay for something they always wanted and can now afford it
Beautiful!!!
Wow. Been amazed by every bike Ive seen you work on. And found some really helpful, clever, simple ideas and techniques to overcome common issues.
Cheers.
Thanks much Daniel sir. I did this thread to show people that they do not have to always settle for second best. That yes, there is some extra effort. that by finding some a grade Nos parts and selling the perfectly fine used parts, helps offset the money it takes to do a higher end job. Most of what I show on tutor are frame off refurbishing. Anyone can do this with some guidance and tips along the way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-12-2020, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Jesper

02-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Last Post: veitch1