Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Shimano 105 brakes
Hello, I just bought my first ever road bike - Trek 2.3. I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep or maybe upgrade this bike. I know very little about road bikes. Last night I took off the front and rear wheels just to get familiar. There is a small lever (quick release lever/dial) to open up the brake shoes and slip out the tire/wheel. When I put the front tire/wheel back in and closed the quick release, I noticed a rubbing when spinning the wheel. At a certain point the wheel just touches the brake pads. If I open the quick release 4 clicks then the rubbing stops. I'm assuming the quick releas should be all the way closed.

How do I fix the rubbing?
First check that the wheel is properly seated in the drop-outs, I always find it's easiest to fit the wheels with the bike upside-down.

Also, don't over or under-tighten the quick release lever. You should adjust the nut on the opposite end of the skewer so that the lever starts to clamp when it's about perpendicular to the drop out, in-line with the axle: http://www.bicyclinglife.com/HowTo/UseAQuickRelease.htm

If that's all OK, check the wheels are true, with the bike upside-down, or on a work stand, spin the wheel and look at the rim next to the brake pad. The gap between the brake block and the rim should be the same all the way around as the wheel spins, or within 0.5 - 1mm or so. If it isn't then the wheel is out of true and will need re-truing.

If the bike is new, I would contact the shop and have them put it right; it could be that the wheel wasn't completely pre-stressed when it was built and has gone out of true after the spokes have settled.
ok thanks. Just to be clear this is the small quick release on the brake itself (to open brake pads)not the wheel quick release in the "UseAQuickRelease.htm" above.

I will check with Jax bike shop.
The wheel is not seated properly (or the brake is not really centered).
First check the alignment of the wheel, then you can worry about the brake. There is a small screw on the brake body to move the pads sideways. Next thing to look at is the cable tension.