Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rehabing a working hybrid = where do I start?
In 1996, my move from country to city and my many speeding tickets made it advisable to give up my car. I also joined the Peace Corps. So I bought a Giant made Nutra Hybrid (in the last year they produced them). It's the 19" frame. The bike has been stored indoors throughout its life, but it's never been properly serviced/maintained. I put a larger diameter tire/tube on the back rim to account for the extra mass of the rack and paniers (sp) when loaded with books, groceries etc.

Aside from that, everything cables to chain are original. I rode it for 20 miles along a railstotrails corridor recently and I've been pulling my 3 year old in a trailer on the trail system and around town.

I bought a repair stand that should arrive on monday.

I picked up some literature and have bookmarked a bunch of things. I've got most of the usual tools around the house, but realize I'll be putting some cash into some specialty tools as I go.

Ultimately, I want to tear down and rebuild the bike to get a working knowledge of the systems. Down the line, I expect to be able to maintain my family's growing fleet of bikes at home (including a future purchase of a lighter road bike for me) and save a little bit of money while working the parts of the brain that the 8-5 job just doesn't stimulate.

Skillset: I can do most around the house maintenance and repairs. I recently replaced the clutch in my washing machine (reminded me of Chris Boardman) and the hose bib on the back side of the house (forgot to take the hose off last winter).

My starting point on the forum is to get some tips and hints toward a logical starting point. Crankset, shifters, derailleurs, etc.

Once I clamp the bike on to the stand, where should I start?

Fire away!
brake pads, cables and housings. Make sure you lubricate the cables with light oil. You will need something to cut the cables - wire cutters will not cut it.

wheel bearings: you need cone wrenches; take the bearings out, clean with solvent (I use isopropyl alcohol), visually inspect bearings, cones and cups - replace as needed. I use grease intended for boat trailer wheel bearings for all applications on my bikes.

pedals, headset and BB bearings are next. If you have a BB cartridge, it is not serviceable, only replaceable.

Derailleurs should be wiped down with a clean rag (old underwear is great for this), and the pivot points given a tiny drop of light oil, and the jockey wheel bearings greased. If it works, don't do anything more.
Nigel
My #1 is wheel bearings. Then the remainder of the bearings. The derailleur "jockey" wheels.
Then, on a bike that old I would replace the chain & freewheel (or cassette). I know, you should measure the chain first, but if I'm towing my kid it's getting a new chain & rear cogs.
New tubes & tires (good call on the new rear tire).
I lube cables too unless they are lined.
Lights?
Helmet?
Sign up for the repair guide at the top of this page, $6/month, cancel anytime. Also go to the Park Tool website & rummage around.
Thanks Nigel this is the direction stuff I need!

t
Thanks 1FJEF, I've journeyed around the Park site, kid at a candy factory. . .

I'll check my literature on the wheel bearing work. Endorsements of tasks help support my spending :-)

We're set on safety

t
Jef and Nigel are a pinch ahead of the ball game. Before the sound advice they gave you. I would ask if possible to post lots of close up picks of what you are starting with so we can see the final results when you are done. You know the before and after shots. I call it the
"Fluff and Buff"
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I just got my PCS-10 stand in and put it together. I'll get started tomorrow after I clear a work space downstairs and gather the applicable tools I have. I'll try to get the camera running. Gathering and posting photos is not something I do often. Or well.
I got the front hub open, rebearinged and ready to go. I started the back and the freewheel. My LBS offered to pop it loose for me rather than sell me the freewheel removal tool. I'll be replacing the freewheel with a newer version and I'll get the appropriate tool for the newest for future work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-13-2020, 05:41 AM
Last Post: Jesper

10-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Last Post: debrichard

04-30-2016, 06:40 PM
Last Post: T-Box