Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Possible Project Bike
OK .. I don't know if I am posting in the right section....but I need some input here from the experts. I am about to purchase this used huffy road bike. The seller says the bike won't shift gears. I will be getting it tomorrow if the frame looks in good conditions with little to no rust. More than likely as we all know the bike will need work like tires, brakes, cables etc. But I want to know if it worth buying it and investing. If the deraileurs need to be replaced, about how much it would cost. I believe I can install new tube and tires so I will save some money there... I already know how much it will cost for new brake levers and brakes parts and labor but have no idea if the shifting problem will be expensive.

BTW ... $15 is the price for the bike and I will be customizing it for my son .

Here is a pic of the bike

[attachment=3781]
For $15, you really can't go wrong (unless you don't want to take on the project.) Derailleurs will probably cost $15-$30 each if needed. You may need a tool or two you don't have now, but nothing major.

This is a pretty low end bike. I wouldn't throw a lot of money at it trying to upgrade, but I bet you can make a decent, ridable bike fairly quick and easy. If you're going to be paying to have someone do most of the labor, I'd maybe look around a little more. Even with minor stuff, it will be easy to spend $100-$150 putting new cables, replacing a derailleur, etc. For that kind of money, you can probably find something better quality that doesn't need immediate work. This bike would be a good project to learn to fix yourself on, but I wouldn't pay someone to do a lot of work on it.

Lift the bike up and spin the wheels. Check for any sharp wobbles in the rims or big dents. If they slowly weave side to side a centimeter or so, no big deal. But a sudden sharp wiggle may mean the rim is bent and you'd need a new wheel. Also hold the end of the axle while they're spinning. If you can feel/hear roughness or grinding, it probably means the bearing races are damaged. May be a minor fix, or could mean a new wheel. Do the same for the bottom bracket (if possible, push the chain off the chainrings to the inside so you can spin the pedals freely.) Being able to tell minor from major with these kinds of tests is a matter of experience. There's not an easy foolproof system. But it will give you hints at what you're getting in to.

Finally, it is probably just the angle of the picture, but make sure the fork is not bent back. The top section of the fork should be exactly parallel to the head tube of the frame.

Also, I don't see a front brake caliper, so that's one thing you know you'd have to buy regardless.
Hey Dave...thanks for the reply . I was thinking about getting it and fix it with cheap stuff and make it rideable for my son so he can go bike riding with me when I am on the road but I don't want to spend big money on a road bike for him until I know for sure he will appreciate it. I also thought about getting it so I could practice and learn how to fix minor stuff but like you say..even with cheap components I might end up spending a bit over a 100-150 bucks or more making it rideable. Now ... another thing is that I can't tell if the bike has 24 or 27" wheels and the lady couldn't tell me the size of the bike.

I was about to buy this other for $100 that looks in pretty good shape and already has some upgraded stuff. what do you think?...should I go with the project low end ..or go with this other one.

[attachment=3783]

[attachment=3784]

[attachment=3785]
Definitely the Schwinn! (Unless there's something big wrong with it)

The Huffy may have 27" wheels but they look like 26 x 1 3/8 to me (note that that is different than 26" mountain bike style) You will learn a lot rebuilding this bike, but you'll end up with a much better bike with the Schwinn and there will still be opportunities to fix/learn/etc. It looks to be a 50cm - 52cm frame (guessing)
(12-04-2012, 02:59 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Definitely the Schwinn! (Unless there's something big wrong with it)

The Huffy may have 27" wheels but they look like 26 x 1 3/8 to me (note that that is different than 26" mountain bike style) You will learn a lot rebuilding this bike, but you'll end up with a much better bike with the Schwinn and there will still be opportunities to fix/learn/etc. It looks to be a 50cm - 52cm frame (guessing)

Well.. too late I just called the seller and the bike was sold a couple of hours ago Sad...but here is another one for $175 contacted the seller and he is willing to sell it for $150 it is ready to ride .Should I try to go lower on the price or is that a good price? I wanna get the bike ASAP now that I have the money otherwise it will be gone by the weekend ...lol but of course I wan to get a good deal

[attachment=3786]
go for the Bianchi for sure, try to trim the price , all they can do is say no. then give them what they want if you like it and the wheels are good
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(12-04-2012, 06:15 PM)painkiller Wrote:  go for the Bianchi for sure, try to trim the price , all they can do is say no. then give them what they want if you like it and the wheels are good

Just brought the Bianchi home....what a sweet bike!!!... the tires still have a few miles left...maybe about 60-70 miles...but will be replacing ASAP.

$140 deal Smile
nice job!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Yea nice deal and bike! Never owned a Bianchi, but have to say a little nicer then (gulp) the Schwinn.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Bill