Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Front Derailleur Issues
Hi, I'm new here . . . but hope to become competent enough someday to give back--or maybe not, gotta know what you don't know.

I am a total hack, trying to get my old mountain bike up and running. I put new tires on it, new chain, and new shifters, and am now trying to address what I think is a front derailleur issue. I tried to remount it and align it but I am having a really hard time after following about five different online tutorials.

1. From the pics, can anyone let me know if it is bent?

2. If so, can you recommend a suitable replacement. The clamp says 34.9 and the bike is 7 speeds.

3. based on pics, any suggestions for tuning?

Thanks a lot!
yes it is bent,right here
(03-26-2012, 05:54 PM)painkiller Wrote:  yes it is bent,right here
What kind of shifters do you have? top mount thumb or sti
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
thanks a lot for the quick feedback. Can I remove the derail and bend it out with channel locks? or is there something better for the job?

I recently installed SRAM comp 3 grip shifters to replace the grip shifters that were on the bike. Pics attached. are these compatible?

[attachment=3116]

Now that know it is bent, it makes sense that I could not adjust by following the tutorials.

In your opinion, should I try to open it back up, or just replace? The part is old, for sure, but I'd love to be able to fix it.

What kind of shifters do you have? top mount thumb or sti
The curve of the outer plate of the derailleur should follow the curve of the chainrings, so I think this is pretty badly bent. You may be able to straighten it out, but I doubt you'll ever get it quite right. These have a lot of complex curves in them. If you don't have something to compare it to, it may be tricky to get it right. But nothing to lose by trying.

Buying new...I THINK you can use either SRAM or Shimano front derailleurs with SRAM shifters (not always true of the rear). You need one for a triple crank, with a clamp diameter of 34.9mm, and a "bottom pull" (meaning the cable goes down from the derailleur). Should be a lot of choices.
I would try to fix it first. That part is free just your time.
the outer front part of the cage should be straight and parallel to your chainring. the rear outer part of the cage kicks out a bit more than the front and should be parallel to the chainring also.
If your new gripshift has incremental indents between the numbers on your front shifter you should be able to repair easily, if it is one click one shift you will have to fine tune your adjustments more but do able.
front derailleurs such as what you have can be found on ebay. If you have to go that route go for your clamp size and bottom pull and good used will be cheaper than a nos (new old stock).
expect to pay around 20 to 30 for a used and 30 to 60 us dollars for NOS and you get a decent deal. I have a lot of experience with high end vintage shimano parts such as these so if you find a nos part cheaper than what I said you have done well. A DX or LX will also
work. Good luck with your resto and would like to see some pics of the whole bike sometime
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks to everyone who replied. I really appreciate it. I will try to bend it out and if that doesn't work, replace it.

Possibly Related Threads...